Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know

Will you boycott the NFL this upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
cars are sentient?

*sigh*

Here's Why The Census Started Counting Latinos, And How That Could Change In 2020
August 3, 20176:00 AM ET

ADRIAN FLORIDO

Twitter
census-cs_wide-2f74f154868120e11a53b2aa713532b0ce8d6377-s1000-c85.jpg

Chelsea Beck/NPR
In the 1970s, the nation's Latino advocacy groups had grown fed up with the U.S. Census Bureau. During its 1970 population count, the agency had made a half-hearted attempt to quantify the number of Latinos and Hispanics living in the United States.

Groups including the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund and ASPIRA complained that the Census "had a question that only went to 10 percent of households, and it wasn't in Spanish, and there hadn't been a mobilization campaign," says Cristina Mora, a sociologist at the University of California, Berkeley.

In this week's episode of the Code Switch podcast, Mora tells the fascinating story of how, in the 1970s, Latino advocacy groups successfully lobbied the federal government to create a separate category for counting Hispanics and Latinos. Before then the government had classified those people simply as white.

CODE SWITCH
The U.S. Census and Our Sense of Us

For people of color, the push to be accurately counted has always been high stakes because the size of ethnic minority populations directly affects the ability that groups speaking for them have to secure federal funding and to influence the way Congressional and other voting districts are drawn.

For Latinos, as for all groups, being counted in the Census was only a first step. In the decades since Hispanics were first included on the form in 1980, MALDEF and other groups have shifted their attention to ensuring that the count accurately reflect the Latino community's diversity as well as its demographic ascendance.

Those two goals, and the way they can sometimes conflict with each other, are on display this summer, as the Census Bureau works to finalize the questions it hopes to ask U.S. residents in 2020.

Article continues after sponsor message

For decades, communities of color have been frustrated that the ways the Census asks about race and ethnicity have felt static, not allowing respondents to account for the full complexity of their racial and ethnic identities.

In 2020, the Census expects to introduce a question that allows residents to report their identities on a more granular level.

But as the bureau adapts to capture more ethnic and racial nuance in the U.S. population, advocates are facing a new dilemma: Could this push for nuance water down the clout of groups that have historically gained political and economic influence by being seen as part a larger pan-ethnicity?

its like telling a airplane its really a car because they both have engines and tires....

we're different groups of people..jesus christ :lol:

latinos DONT WANT TO assimilate and lose our culture or representation, why you think da census was basically gonna put us into a different category? answer it.
I’m not here to debate you. You’re entitled to identify as anything you like. I’m just explaining my personal experience and perspective with it. It is what it is.

And let me tell you, as someone who spent time working the last census, that shouldn’t be the measuring stick for anything.:lol:

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Ninja slick saying black Americans have no culture :lol:

how is being adamant about Latinos keeping our own distinguished category for representation cultural purposes any slight on black people?

we not surrending our demographic for no one or nobody, da money is there, da political power is there, and da population numbers are what they are.

you'll see once its 2020 you'll hear about Latinos in da census nonstop..cuz its important for allocation of resources.

latinos DONT WANT TO assimilate and lose our culture or representation, why you think da census was basically gonna put us into a different category? answer it.
Like I said many threads ago. You dont speak for for all Latinos. You speak for yourself.

Explain how acknowledging your blackness will mean that you're not latino anymore?
Explain how acknowledging your blackness means that you'll lose your Dominican culture?
Or representation?

Most of the Dominican republic wouldnt exist if it werent for black ppl point blank period so what are we really talking about?

And you've already assimilated into black *american* culture. Look at yourself and how you speak, type, music you listen to, how you dress, etc.

Smh.

how is being adamant about Latinos keeping our own distinguished category for representation cultural purposes any slight on black people?
you have got to mean black American culture. Black ppl are not exclusive to America You sound crazy. You cant make what you're saying make sense given facts.

we not surrending our demographic for no one or nobody, da money is there, da political power is there, and da population numbers are what they are.
no one is asking you to and again who is we? You speak for yourself.

How you come across is exactly why I say black ppl of the diaspora overall lack knowledge of self.

keep throwing rocks behind your keyboard...you'd vanish da second you'd have to reveal yourself.

coward.
Yes, I am a coward because I won't send a racist man who is in his late 30s a pic of myself so he can keep up the facade of being a tough guy.

Is this the level of harassment underaged girls in upper manhattan have to put up with also? :lol:

Good grief, b.

Last edited:
Black people have no culture? What, did the Blues begin in Hispaniola? I know for sure that it didn't begin in Asia either.

Like I said many threads ago. You dont speak for for all Latinos. You speak for yourself.

no, i pretty much do speak for da vast majority of Latinos...i don't trip off what i read here cuz i know how latinos are properly framed in da media, politics, and pop culture, as our own distinct group.

fc8be9a7-ebdc-42e2-8d05-7d50b808a18e.png

NPR said as much too.

Back
Top Bottom