Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know

Will you boycott the NFL this upcoming season?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Kap was in a no win situation. Play the NFL’s dog and pony show on their terms and their stipulations with no access to any of the footage, no media allowed etc.

da NFL had da falcons film crew ready to disseminate da happens of that work out to all 32 teams and 25 league reps & executives actually there to witness first hand...he should've went there period.

Opinion: With workout power move, Colin Kaepernick might have just waved goodbye to last chance at NFL job
MIKE JONES | USA TODAY | 45 minutes ago

SportsPulse: After a bizarre day that ended in a workout at a high school football field, Colin Kaepernick spoke with the media and explains that he's been 'ready' for a long time.
USA TODAY
What we witnessed on Saturday, in the latest episode of Colin Kaepernick against the world, was nothing short of tragic yet entirely avoidable.

In his long-overdue opportunity to work out for prospective employers, Kaepernick had the chance to change minds, to rewrite the narrative. He could have secured the ultimate victory over the league and owners who have blacklisted him for three years.

He had the chance to position himself to simultaneously shred both defenses and racist ideals while flexing on all those who wrote him off because he wasn’t afraid to take an unpopular political stand in 2016 by protesting during the national anthem.

Now that opportunity very well could have evaporated.

With lingering emotional scars from nearly three years of exile from the league, Kaepernick couldn’t trust the setup presented to him this weekend in Atlanta. He sabotaged his opportunity and took another step further away from returning to the NFL. Worst of all, he lent further credence to those who have long suspected he never really was all that serious about playing again.

After Saturday, in which the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback moved his NFL-coordinated workout and performed one on his own terms, Kaepernick’s critics will only dig in even further. Those still trying to make up their mind on him will find it even harder to do so.

Nothing good came out of Saturday. Nobody won.

Kaepernick’s supporters will praise him for showing he does indeed still belong in this league. They’ll view him as heroic for staging his own workout. And they’ll accuse commissioner Roger Goodell of contriving a plan to embarrass Kaepernick and rid the NFL of this polarizing figure once and for all.

Meanwhile, critics will tell a far different version. They’ll accuse Kaepernick of hijacking the day to further command the spotlight. They’ll cluck their tongues and say, “I told ya so.”

But both views are far too simplistic and one-sided.

This was bad on both ends. There’s blame to go around.

Colin Kaepernick holds workout for scouts, media
View | 11 Photos
Colin Kaepernick holds workout for scouts, media
The original workout should have never even been announced before both sides agreed to arrangements. It's true that Goodell should have tried to fix this problem years ago. But it’s untrue that he viewed this weekend's unprecedented workout as a way to put a final nail in the Kaepernick coffin.

Yes, Kaepernick’s name comes up every time a starter is injured or some mediocre passer throws an ugly interception. But Goodell didn’t need to rip this scab off again, especially during what’s supposed to be a special 100th season that's already featured too much unflattering drama.

Were the terms and restrictions of the workout fair? Some, yes. Some, no. The league absolutely operated out of a double standard by denying Kaepernick’s request for media coverage to ensure transparency. Every February, the NFL rakes in the dough by allowing its own television network to broadcast the scouting combine. So what harm would cameras at the Falcons’ facility have done? None.

But be careful about buying the narrative that the language in the waiver presented to Kaepernick by the league was significantly different from any other rookie camp or free agent tryout waiver. Several people familiar with the matter, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the situation, say its wording is very similar to that of any of those other ones.

And if anyone thought that the league wouldn’t try to maintain control, then they were kidding themselves.

The league did get played, however. Even as a private workout, Saturday was all about Kaepernick. But, by design, he took the attention to another level.

Many people within the league — from NFL officials to team talent evaluators and current players — speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter, told USA TODAY Sports they believe Kaepernick and his camp had no real intention of showing up at the Falcons’ facility for the 3 p.m. workout. They likely didn’t just decide at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday that they were going to hold the public workout approximately 60 miles away from the Falcons’ facility.

Kaepernick's power move further fueled the school of thought that he’s more concerned with theatrics than football.

If Kaepernick truly wanted to showcase his skills to as many talent evaluators as possible, then his actions definitely didn’t indicate so. He inconvenienced the 20-plus NFL scouts who had already set up at Falcons' headquarters and suddenly had to figure out how or if they should make the hour-plus-long trip to Charles Drew High School by 4 p.m. A handful did go there, but the majority bagged their plans. Hue Jackson, whom the NFL had appointed to run the original workout, left the Falcons’ facility and flew back home.

Multiple people within the league told USA TODAY Sports that, in their opinion, Kaepernick cared more about showcasing his skills to his supporters than he did to potential employers. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the topic. And these weren't people with a grudge against Kaepernick. This was coming from men on different levels and branches of the league who wanted to see him back in the NFL.

Once the workout finally did take place, Kaepernick showed us what we knew all along: He possesses NFL-caliber talent, and he’s still in shape.

But Saturday’s NFL-arranged workout wasn’t so much supposed to be about the throws as it was about affording teams an opportunity to see Kaepernick check off a bunch of important boxes. Could he carry himself with flexibility and professionalism? Could he deal with pressure and renewed scrutiny? Could he handle pointed questions and present a well-devised plan for reviving his career? Could he take care of business with minimal fanfare?

Kaepernick failed that test. Now, who knows what's next?

I do believe Kaepernick at least in part still wants to play — if it’s on his terms. The problem: Unless we’re self-employed, very few of us get to do our jobs on our very own terms. And even self-employed men and women have a certain code that they must adhere to.

Kaepernick doesn’t seem to get that, though.

It’s hard to envision Kaepernick making it back to the league now. It’s sad, because his off-field mission is righteous and his athleticism is special.

It’s tremendous that Kaepernick has given a voice to the racially and socially oppressed and that he spends his time educating people of color of their rights. He’s absolutely right to preach the need for members of law enforcement to be held accountable for abuses of power.

But Kaepernick’s methods have long made it hard for his critics to take him seriously. More important, NFL owners have always deemed Kaepnerick’s as too distracting. Saturday’s shenanigans were no different.

Essentially, Kaepernick's circus might have just cost him a job.

Follow USA TODAY Sports’ Mike Jones on Twitter @ByMikeJones and listen to the Football Jones podcast on iTunes.

That's a lot of words for what is essentially many questioning why it came to this? He's been begging for a chance for 3 years. Regular workouts happen weekly. Practice squads are 50-80 deep. They are always looking for talent. How common are private no media workouts?

They Set him up and many fell for the narrative.

Good Lord you are dumb. Why hast thou forshaken me with this stupidity from lamekilla lamekilla ?? You are confusing a person that represents an entity with the actual entity itself. I never even said Roger Goodell’s name in any of my responses....there’s a reason for that. Roger Goodell just represents the NFL.....he himself isn’t the NFL.

To lamekilla lamekilla and anyone that currently thinks like him....black people have got to stop being the stupid people in the room just because. Despite lamekilla lamekilla lack of education and misinformation WE are better than this and deserve better representation...which is why I’m here to help move things in the right direction and help those who severely need help the most. Shout out to all the starving brothas out there......you know who you are.

Lol so you don’t think the owners run the NFL and you don’t think Goodell runs the NFL either. Who runs the NFL then Deuce?

Lol so you don’t think the owners run the NFL and you don’t think Goodell runs the NFL either. Who runs the NFL then Deuce?

I’m not going to directly follow your misunderstanding on the matter. How more direct do I have to be....YOU lamekilla lamekilla said “the NFL answers to the owners”. I showed you directly how and why that ABSOLUTE statement on YOUR end is not correct. I’m not going to allow you to mis-represent the intelligence of black people and continue to undermine us with your direct ignorance. Despite what you think we are better than this. Shout out to all the starving brothas out there.

da NFL had da falcons film crew ready to disseminate da happens of that work out to all 32 teams and 25 league reps & executives actually there to witness first hand...he should've went there period.

Why couldn’t he have any access to the footage, why no media access though, why not do it on a Tuesday which is typical protocol for these things?

That’s not being transparent on the NFL’s end. It was basically a take it or leave it type deal on their end, strictly on their terms. The argument can be made he should’ve been there. But at the same time, perhaps playing again isn’t the end all be all for him.

Either way, moving forward, He would be better suited being more outspoken and expressing himself more in regards to things.

Why couldn’t he have any access to the footage, why no media access though, why not do it on a Tuesday which is typical protocol for these things?

it's pretty obvious. no one wanted to outwardly put their neck out to offer him a private work out on their own and decided to let the NFL offices become a conduit or liaison to da whole situation...

look what happened with Nessa and da Ravens.

all he had to do was show up with no drama and it was basically in da bag.

B971C3F5-4929-4C77-AEDB-D5225A7356EA.png

F05BB83D-15AD-402F-9C22-0BEDFC4A9C4F.png

B2F63397-F5B3-4ECB-A714-19288F6C663E.png

421EA45D-31B7-456A-9ABA-37897E280514.png

EC4063E8-B8B5-4F7A-BE9A-C4A0902450A8.png
Folks should read this and how difficult the NFL made it before wasting time back and forth.

I’m not going to directly follow your misunderstanding on the matter. How more direct do I have to be....YOU lamekilla lamekilla said “the NFL answers to the owners”. I showed you directly how and why that ABSOLUTE statement on YOUR end is not correct. I’m not going to allow you to mis-represent the intelligence of black people and continue to undermine us with your direct ignorance. Despite what you think we are better than this. Shout out to all the starving brothas out there.

And I showed you direct evidence of the person who signs off on all fines and chooses when and where to impose said fines not being the person in charge. As a matter of fact I showed you direct quotes supporting exactly what you’re disagreeing over. So let’s start a dialogue brother, no need for personal attacks on educational merit. I’d like for you to provide an answer to who you think runs/is in charge/ has the final say in the NFL since you disagree with me that it’s the owners and you don’t think it’s Roger Goodell either.

What's that saying that Meth usually uses for systemic oppression? I'm sure i'm butchering it but something like putting a knife in your back but expecting you to be grateful that they didn't twist it.

Very accurate. Surprised he hasn’t weighed in yet.

What's that saying that Meth usually uses for systemic oppression? I'm sure i'm butchering it but something like putting a knife in your back but expecting you to be grateful that they didn't twist it.
It is an old Malcolm X quote that Meth references. I am butchering it too, but it is like "don't stick a knife in my back, and ask me to be grateful when you pull it back out half way". When I get time I will get the full accurate one.

if that’s the case why is Kap saying he’s ready to get back in the league and coming out with commercials saying he’s been ready for 3 years to get back to playing the NFL...all while the NFL has been strolling along without Kap for 3 years and made 16 BILLION dollars last year with no Kap involved. Seems to me based upon that one side DEFINITELY needs one more than the other champ.

For me as a 49ers fan I would love for Kap to be back in the league to show and prove, and to continue to spread his messages but to me that doesn’t absolve him from his huge mistake yesterday. Kap dropped the ball not only for himself but for his knowledgeable supporters. All we gotta do now is get the starving brothas on track.....they need help more than anyone.
Yes Kaep needs the NFL more than they need him, BUT he still doesn’t need them. Like i said before, he has options because there are other pro football leagues out there.

Always cringey when Meth broke out his finest kente cloth & tried to use that quote knowing he got white supremacists on his squad. S/o to his draft pick jrose

that would be well and good if he didn't wanna come back to da league...

it's pretty obvious. no one wanted to outwardly put their neck out to offer him a private work out on their own and decided to let the NFL offices become a conduit or liaison to da whole situation...

look what happened with Nessa and da Ravens.

all he had to do was show up with no drama and it was basically in da bag.

Given the power dynamics I could see the practicality of just playing the dog and pony show. But I can’t say the NFL operated in good faith with all the stipulations.

As for Nessa. I really can’t take anything she says holding weight either way when Mikko Grimes popped **** about stuff going on with the teams her husband Brent played on, both teammates wise and front office wise and it didn’t impact his roster spot.

Back
Top Bottom