College graduate sues her school for $72,000 because she can't find a job.

By Jason Kessler
CNN
text_size.gif

txt_minus.gif
txt_minus_dn_.gif

txt_plus.gif
txt_plus_dn.gif

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A recent college graduate is suing her alma mater for $72,000 -- the full cost of her tuition and then some -- because she cannot find a job.

art.diploma.jpg

Trina Thompson has sued her alma mater, Monroe College of New York.

corner_wire_BL.gif

Trina Thompson, 27, of the Bronx, graduated from New York's Monroe College in April with a bachelor of business administration degree in information technology.

On July 24, she filed suit against the college in Bronx Supreme Court, alleging that Monroe's "Office of Career Advancement did not help me with a full-time job placement. I am also suing them because of the stress I have been going through."

The college responded that it offers job-search support to all its students.

In her complaint, Thompson says she seeks $70,000 in reimbursement for her tuition and $2,000 to compensate for the stress of her three-month job search.

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

[h4]Don't Miss[/h4]
Thompson said she has fulfilled her end of the job-search bargain, peppering companies listed on Monroe's e-recruiting site with cover letters, résumés and phone calls. But no more than two employers have responded to her outreach, and those leads have borne no fruit.

Her complaint adds, "The office of career advancement information technology counselor did not make sure their Monroe e-recruiting clients call their graduates that recently finished college for an interview to get a job placement. They have not tried hard enough to help me."

She suggested that Monroe's Office of Career Advancement shows preferential treatment to students with excellent grades. "They favor more toward students that got a 4.0. They help them more out with the job placement," she said. iReport.com: "Don't sue your alma mater"

Monroe College released a statement saying that "while it is clear that no college, especially in this economy, can guarantee employment, Monroe College remains committed to working with all its students, including Ms. Thompson, who graduated only three months ago, to prepare them for careers and to support them during their job search."

Thompson says she has not hired an attorney to represent her because she cannot afford one. When she filed her complaint, she also filed a "poor person order," which exempts her from filing fees associated with the lawsuit.

Asked whether she would advise other college graduates facing job woes to sue their alma maters, Thompson said yes.

"It doesn't make any sense: They went to school for four years, and then they come out working at McDonald's and Payless. That's not what they planned."

E-mail to a friend
email.gif

[img]http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/2.0/global/icons/btn_close.gif[/img] [h6]Share this on:[/h6]

Mixx Facebook Twitter Digg del.icio.us reddit MySpace StumbleUpon
| Mixx it | Share

are people really supposed to be lining up to hire her based on her "credentials?" a 2.7 GPA is pretty average to me.

interesting claim

she will lose though

and when she does lose she will have to pay the other sides attorney fees

so really she is going to lose twice

College is what you make it. It's simply an opportunity to get your foot in the door.

If you don't get that job, it is not the fault of the college, but yours. You have to accept that responsibility.

actually she will lose three times because she still won't have a job.

What makes her think that college can get her a job if they can't even get the 4.0 students a job
laugh.gif

This has got to be one of the stupidest things i have seen. I mean just because you go to college and get a degree doesnt garauntee you a job. Even before thisrecession it was like that. Homegirl needs to step up and find her own job not wait for her school to get her one. People these days...

I recently graduated with my Bachelors in April 2009. I am seeking a reinbursement of $70,000 from my tutision because the Office of Career Advancement Information Technology Couselors are not making sure their Monroe e-recruiting clients call the graduates that recently finished college for a interview to get a job placement. They have not tried hard enough to help me. I am also seeking $2,000 for the stress I have been going through looking for a Full Time job on my own.
lulz..
http://i.cdn.turner.com/c...mages/08/03/thompson.pdf

credit: Consumerist

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I recently graduated with my Bachelors in April 2009. I am seeking a [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]reinbursement[/color] of $70,000 from my [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]tutision[/color] because the Office of Career Advancement Information Technology [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Couselors[/color] are not making sure their Monroe e-recruiting clients call the graduates that recently finished college for a interview to get a job placement. They have not tried hard enough to help me. I am also seeking $2,000 for the stress I have been going through looking for a Full Time job on my own.
lulz..
http://i.cdn.turner.com/c...mages/08/03/thompson.pdf

credit: Consumerist

eek.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
Read about this last night.
A family friend of mine passed her Bar examine in Feb, has been working at lower end jobs because of the economy....
But really smh at this girl

This lady is never going to get a job.
roll.gif

Every employer is going to see her name and then "Monroe" on her resume and start laughing hysterically.

"So, you sued the institution that educated you because you didn't get what you wanted ? You sound like the kind of lunatic we need working for us,when can you start?"

roll.gif

Originally Posted by sole vintage

wow, Monroe isn't even a community college its one of those you see on T.V
laugh.gif

Exactly. Its a TV school like Everest, ITT Tech, U of Phoenix and ASA (for my NY NTers). She should have saved herself the trouble and took the L. Why go toMonroe when you could go to a CUNY? Some people don't think. A 2.7 at Monroe?! Kill yourself.

Back
Top Bottom