College Students: Koofers Vol. Class Registration

http://www.koofers.com/

This site has alot of decent information on teachers and courses. Found out about it a little bit ago and im using it to help me register for classes. It hassome old test/study guides for some teachers and other information such as the teachers grade distribution for her past classes.

If anyones used this before do you know how accurate the grade distribution data is? Im stuck between 2 teachers and they both have good reviews onratemyprofessor. One has better reviews on ratemyprofessor but has worse grade distribution according to Koofers. Thanks if anyone knows.

geez don't over do it. rate my professors is enough. what ever happened to randomization. you really need to see how they grade and break down your teacheslike robots?

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

geez don't over do it. rate my professors is enough. what ever happened to randomization. you really need to see how they grade and break down your teaches like robots?

Randomization is not appreciated. Im looking for the best opportunity i can get to achieve the best grade. Especially since im trying to transfer this year. Ineed a certain GPA average and the longer i take, The harder it'll be.

Theres a pretty impressive difference in some of these teachers grading distributions. Some teachers have only distributed 20% A's while others have over50% in the same course. If i can reduce the variance in my grade in any way by taking an extra hour when im registering im open to it. But i guess ill justemail them and ask my question since i guess NT probably wont know.

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

geez don't over do it. rate my professors is enough. what ever happened to randomization. you really need to see how they grade and break down your teaches like robots?

Randomization is not appreciated. Im looking for the best opportunity i can get to achieve the best grade. Especially since im trying to transfer this year. I need a certain GPA average and the longer i take, The harder it'll be.

Theres a pretty impressive difference in some of these teachers grading distributions. Some teachers have only distributed 20% A's while others have over 50% in the same course. If i can reduce the variance in my grade in any way by taking an extra hour when im registering im open to it. But i guess ill just email them and ask my question since i guess NT probably wont know.

If the difference is that great, why would you even care what a site like ratemyprofessor says? A lot of times people give low ratings for personal reasonsthat reflect nothing about teaching ability. At the end of the day, you want the best grade. If there are 2.5 times as many As in one class as in another,there is almost no reason to pass that up. Even if the professor sucks, you're on a level playing field with everyone else. I'd go with thedistributions almost always unless based on the reviews I felt that the professor would be uniquely difficult for me to understand or learn from.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Randomization is not appreciated. Im looking for the best opportunity i can get to achieve the best grade. Especially since im trying to transfer this year. I need a certain GPA average and the longer i take, The harder it'll be.

Theres a pretty impressive difference in some of these teachers grading distributions. Some teachers have only distributed 20% A's while others have over 50% in the same course. If i can reduce the variance in my grade in any way by taking an extra hour when im registering im open to it. But i guess ill just email them and ask my question since i guess NT probably wont know.

If the difference is that great, why would you even care what a site like ratemyprofessor says? A lot of times people give low ratings for personal reasons that reflect nothing about teaching ability. At the end of the day, you want the best grade. If there are 2.5 times as many As in one class as in another, there is almost no reason to pass that up. Even if the professor sucks, you're on a level playing field with everyone else. I'd go with the distributions almost always unless based on the reviews I felt that the professor would be uniquely difficult for me to understand or learn from.

Yeah i agree somewhat. Thats what led to me asking if anyone knew how accurate the data was but i emailed them so hopefully ill know soon. Also the samplesizes might not be big enough to make a clear judgement from just the grade distribution so i think it goes well with ratemyprofessor. Im slightly OCD so illprobably have to check both even if i dont care much.

This situation doesnt have as much as a difference as my example in the earlier post. One teacher has 66% A's 15% F's and the other has 82% A's 5%F's. Still a decent amount i guess though.

If the difference is that great, why would you even care what a site like ratemyprofessor says? A lot of times people give low ratings for personal reasons that reflect nothing about teaching ability. At the end of the day, you want the best grade. If there are 2.5 times as many As in one class as in another, there is almost no reason to pass that up. Even if the professor sucks, you're on a level playing field with everyone else. I'd go with the distributions almost always unless based on the reviews I felt that the professor would be uniquely difficult for me to understand or learn from.

Yeah i agree somewhat. Thats what led to me asking if anyone knew how accurate the data was but i emailed them so hopefully ill know soon. Also the sample sizes might not be big enough to make a clear judgement from just the grade distribution so i think it goes well with ratemyprofessor. Im slightly OCD so ill probably have to check both even if i dont care much.

This situation doesnt have as much as a difference as my example in the earlier post. One teacher has 66% A's 15% F's and the other has 82% A's 5% F's. Still a decent amount i guess though.

82% A's? Seriously? What course/level of education is this? That is mind-boggling to me.

Yes because there is something called GPA.

Yeah i agree somewhat. Thats what led to me asking if anyone knew how accurate the data was but i emailed them so hopefully ill know soon. Also the sample sizes might not be big enough to make a clear judgement from just the grade distribution so i think it goes well with ratemyprofessor. Im slightly OCD so ill probably have to check both even if i dont care much.

This situation doesnt have as much as a difference as my example in the earlier post. One teacher has 66% A's 15% F's and the other has 82% A's 5% F's. Still a decent amount i guess though.

82% A's? Seriously? What course/level of education is this? That is mind-boggling to me.
lol its a intro computer course recommended in the schools General Business degree plan that most people do in their first year. Again im guessingthat the numbers probably arent too accurate though.

Back
Top Bottom