Columbia University Neuroscientist Professor Has Been Recreationally Taking Heroin for 5 Years.

I won't say it's bad, but it's an interesting thing for me to see personally b/c that drug has been somewhat of Boogieman for me (not me DIRECTLY directly). I'm personally likely to never to knowingly do smack b/c that's wild to me. However, does anyone else use smack these or other "hard" drugs recreationally w/o the sense of feeling an addiction?

I do believe this and other drugs as well as thinks like pot should be legalized so that in can be regulated. Not knowing how week or strong something is vet risky b/c a bad trip sucks.

"It helps to make me a better person"

Theres a lot of people that live seemingly "normal" lives during the day, week and youd never expect. Knew a guy that was a manager at a big transportation company that did h on the weekends and only on the weekends.

Plenty more examples. Theres levels to the addiction.

If you take a chemistry class you learn that all Street Drugs have an equivalent that you can get a prescription for

Cocaine = Ritalin
Adderall = Crystal Meth
Percocet = Heroin
Weed = Ambien
Molly = Prozac

The main difference is that Street Drugs are mainly smoked, snorted or injected so the effect is instantaneous while prescriptions are less potent cause most of it dissolves in your stomach.

The side effects are equal so technically its smarter to go the street route and get more bang for your buck.

Last edited:
If you take a chemistry class you learn that all Street Drugs have an equivalent that you can get a prescription for

Cocaine = Ritalin
Adderall = Crystal Meth
Percocet = Heroin
Weed = Ambien
Molly = Prozac

The main difference is that Street Drugs are mainly smoked, snorted or injected so the effect is instantaneous while prescriptions are less potent cause most of it dissolves in your stomach.
I get the others, aside from Ambien, but where does the comparison between molly and Prozac come from? :lol: I can't make any sense of that one.
Ambien is a hypnotic that either puts you straight to sleep or makes you hallucinate if you stay up, assuming no tolerance.

However, does anyone else use smack these or other "hard" drugs recreationally w/o the sense of feeling an addiction?
I've been prescribed daily opioids (max dosage of Tramadol) for a solid 5 years or so and the thought of using heroin recreationally is just absurd to me. First of all, there are many other opioids that are far less addictive and will still get you on a lengthy vacation to planet euphoria.
Take in mind that this man was having "mild withdrawals" after just 10 days, which is insanely fast. I remember the first time I ever got an opioid prescription and I had no withdrawals despite being zooted off Tramadol for 2 whole months straight.

I don't get 'high' off my painkillers anymore due to tolerance but initially of course I did, and I abused them at times. Not a day goes by where I don't think about how divine that feeling of the opioid euphoria is. It's very easy to see how someone could get addicted to it, even just mentally before the physical addiction kicks in.

In short, I think the godlike feeling of an opioid high is far too good to play around with, no matter how low the potency is. If you're going to do it at all, do it with a low grade opioid like Tramadol. Going with heroin is utterly insane. Opioid withdrawals are pure godawful torture and the stronger the opioid, the worse the withdrawal and the quicker you'll get them.
Also, 'mind withdrawals' are by no means mild in any sense of the word, it's still absolute hell.

Here's what qualifies as 'mild' withdrawals, from when I tried tapering down my Tramadol dosage by a measly 50mg down from 400mg:
Electrified feeling constantly pulsing up and down throughout your body while your brain gets fried from a flood of constant random impulses every second of your day (this one is worse than all the others combined by a mile and quickly sends you to the edge of sanity, good luck sleeping)
Headache
Cold sweats/hot shivers
Muscle spasms
Stiff joints
Runny nose/stuffed nose
Vomit

The other withdrawal symptoms are basically just a much worse version of the flu but it's that top one that turns a bad flu into a torturous nightmare. Within a few days after that one kicked in, I gave up and went back to my old dosage, also because the lower dosage was making my chronic pain too bad when I got down to 300mg.

Last edited:
I've been prescribed daily opioids (max dosage of Tramadol) for a solid 5 years or so and the thought of using heroin recreationally is just absurd to me. First of all, there are many other opioids that are far less addictive and will still get you on a lengthy vacation to planet euphoria.
Take in mind that this man was having "mild withdrawals" after just 10 days, which is insanely fast. I remember the first time I ever got an opioid prescription and I had no withdrawals despite being zooted off Tramadol for 2 whole months straight.

I don't get 'high' off my painkillers anymore due to tolerance but initially of course I did, and I abused them at times. Not a day goes by where I don't think about how divine that feeling of the opioid euphoria is. It's very easy to see how someone could get addicted to it, even just mentally before the physical addiction kicks in.

In short, I think the godlike feeling of an opioid high is far too good to play around with, no matter how low the potency is. If you're going to do it at all, do it with a low grade opioid like Tramadol. Going with heroin is utterly insane. Opioid withdrawals are pure godawful torture and the stronger the opioid, the worse the withdrawal and the quicker you'll get them.
Also, 'mind withdrawals' are by no means mild in any sense of the word, it's still absolute hell.

Here's what qualifies as 'mild' withdrawals, from when I tried tapering down my Tramadol dosage by a measly 50mg down from 400mg:
Electrified feeling constantly pulsing up and down throughout your body while your brain gets fried from a flood of constant random impulses every second of your day (this one is worse than all the others combined by a mile and quickly sends you to the edge of sanity, good luck sleeping)
Headache
Cold sweats/hot shivers
Muscle spasms
Stiff joints
Runny nose/stuffed nose
Vomit

The other withdrawal symptoms are basically just a much worse version of the flu but it's that top one that turns a bad flu into a torturous nightmare. Within a few days after that one kicked in, I gave up and went back to my old dosage, also because the lower dosage was making my chronic pain too bad when I got down to 300mg.
The reason people use heroin over other opioids is the cost and accesibility. Its cheaper to buy a point of h than a pill of oxy. And if you wanna snort or smoke it good luck, they put the gel around the new oxys. so what do people opt for? Easy and cheap.

The reason people use heroin over other opioids is the cost and accesibility. Its cheaper to buy a point of h than a pill of oxy. And if you wanna snort or smoke it good luck, they put the gel around the new oxys. so what do people opt for? Easy and cheap.
How much are Oxys? $1/mg? I remember Tramadol was pretty cheap for the amount you could get. For a couple euros, any regular person would be zooted for the day.
I've never seen or knew of anyone selling Oxys here, they're also almost never prescribed in the first place. Even throughout all my nursing internships I've only encountered a single patient who received Oxycontin.
Tramadol was easy to find on the black market but the next step up was always straight to fentanyl or heroin.

Last edited:
How much are Oxys? $1/mg? I remember Tramadol was pretty cheap for the amount you could get. For a couple euros, any regular person would be zooted for the day.
I've never seen or knew of anyone selling Oxys here, they're also almost never prescribed in the first place. Tramadol was easy to find on the black market but the next step up was always straight to fentanyl or heroin.
Ya something like that

Ya something like that
Tramadol was €2/pill but I forgot if that was for 50 or 100mg, I assume 50. The max daily dosage you can be prescribed is 400mg but severe addicts tend to take around 800-1000mg or even more.
When I gave 100mg to a classmate, he was high as a kite for a whole schoolday. Even at 50mg I was feeling pretty zooted too.

For recreational use, it can certainly do the job at a fairly low cost.

Cocaine = Ritalin
Adderall = Crystal Meth
Percocet = Heroin
Weed = Ambien
Molly = Prozac

The side effects are equal so technically its smarter to go the street route and get more bang for your buck.
I thought Ritalin was used for people with ADHD/ADD to calm them down? It seems like Cocaine would have the opposite effect.

I thought Ritalin was used for people with ADHD/ADD to calm them down? It seems like Cocaine would have the opposite effect.
It is. Don’t see how it’s like coke
It is but for people who don't have ADHD it tends to do the opposite. A classmate with ADHD handed out some of his once for our exams and I felt like I had just downed a whole 6pack of Monster Energy cans. The others had the same experience in varying degrees. Never again, no thanks. Since then I've thought that the best way to diagnose ADHD must be to give them a taste of Ritalin and see how they respond to it :lol:

I don't know how on earth that stuff calms anyone down. It's very strange.

Last edited:
I get the others, aside from Ambien, but where does the comparison between molly and Prozac come from? :lol: I can't make any sense of that one.
Ambien is a hypnotic that either puts you straight to sleep or makes you hallucinate if you stay up, assuming no tolerance.
Anne-Archer-Feet-1271736.jpg

Well, Molly floods the brain with Serotonin and Prozac is an SSRI thats how i made the connection...

And alot of people smoke weed to help them sleep, thats why i compared it to Ambien. The King of Pop didnt want to smoke weed cause it was ghetto and reminded him of growing up in Gary, Indiana. He started shooting up Demerol and look where it got him :ohwell: for what its worth, the Demerol is what got his Father In Law (Aug 16 1977). Meanwhile you got all these rockstars like Steven Tyler, Ozzy Osborne, El DeBarge Sly Stone still alive after 5 decades of street drugs.

I was also gonna compare Weed to Zoloft (anti depressant). You could also compare it to Klonopin depending on the strain...some weed INCREASES Anxiety, certain weed DECREASES it.

Anne-Archer-Feet-1271736.jpg

Well, Molly floods the brain with Serotonin and Prozac is an SSRI thats how i made the connection...

And alot of people smoke weed to help them sleep, thats why i compared it to Ambien. The King of Pop didnt want to smoke weed cause it was ghetto and reminded him of growing up in Gary, Indiana. He started shooting up Demerol and look where it got him :ohwell: for what its worth, the Demerol is what got his Father In Law (Aug 16 1977). Meanwhile you got all these rockstars like Steven Tyler, Ozzy Osborne, El DeBarge Sly Stone still alive after 5 decades of street drugs.

I was also gonna compare Weed to Zoloft (anti depressant). You could also compare it to Klonopin depending on the strain...some weed INCREASES Anxiety, certain weed DECREASES it.
The effects of SSRIs and molly, while both increase serotonin, are very different in practice though. If you took Prozac you generally wouldn't really notice anything, same with other anti-depressants. There's no way to take anti-depressant medication recreationally.

Its crazy that MJ’s doc prescribed him propofol just to sleep smh, we used that in anethesia to sedate patients so they dont wake up in surgery

Its crazy that MJ’s doc prescribed him propofol just to sleep smh, we used that in anethesia to sedate patients so they dont wake up in surgery
Yeah that was insane. The only times I've seen it used anywhere is in the same circumstance you said.
He must've felt awful waking up from that too.

Just prescribe some Ambien or Zopiclone.

Yeah that was insane. The only times I've seen it used anywhere is in the same circumstance you said.
He must've felt awful waking up from that too.

Just prescribe some Ambien or Zopiclone.
when you're the king of pop, you get whatever you want on sight

that doctor probably was under tremendous pressure

but still, you're the doctor. you have to always advocate for your patients' safety

Heroin is a nasty drug to be addicted to man, as they make horrible junkies. The physical toll the drug takes on the human body is downright frightening. It causes acromegaly, as you begin to produce growth hormone at a rapid rate. The hands, feet, jawline and brow begin to grow out of proportion with the rest of the body. Once it happens at the jawline, teeth begin to fall out, and the person begins to age rapidly. There are pics of Billie Holiday that really sadden me, because she was such a beautiful woman, and horse took all of it away.

During the late seventies and early eighties, shared needle use due to heroin was one of the factors that allowed HIV to spread throughout areas like Harlem, Brooklyn, and the Bronx.

Junkies aren't neat, clean, and really do not care about proper hygiene when it comes to getting high.

All they want is to get that fix.

I won't say it's bad, but it's an interesting thing for me to see personally b/c that drug has been somewhat of Boogieman for me (not me DIRECTLY directly). I'm personally likely to never to knowingly do smack b/c that's wild to me. However, does anyone else use smack these or other "hard" drugs recreationally w/o the sense of feeling an addiction?

I do believe this and other drugs as well as thinks like pot should be legalized so that in can be regulated. Not knowing how week or strong something is vet risky b/c a bad trip sucks.

"It helps to make me a better person"

I think you'd know this story, especially since you are into music, arts and culture.

Charlie Parker was a serious junkie, hard core, as well as other jazz musicians of that era, Miles as well. All of them were junkies for a time. However, many musicians became heroin users because of Charlie Parker, because they thought that by taking horse, they'd be able to hear and then play like him. Mainly, it was the white musicians that felt this way, Gerry Mulligan, Red Rodney just to name a few.

However, they all sound exactly like this professor does, when they described what heroin used to do for them artistically, creatively.

Whenever I hear of a professional thinking they can defeat hard drugs I remember this dude

I knew there was another thread on this

i don't like his justification that people can still function and do their job = this drug isn't bad.
i used to be a functioning alcoholic that doesn't make any less worse than it really is. that just means i adapted to being a drunk. it was still very damaging.

i don't like his justification that people can still function and do their job = this drug isn't bad.
i used to be a functioning alcoholic that doesn't make any less worse than it really is. that just means i adapted to being a drunk. it was still very damaging.
This. I functioned fine when I abused my opioids on and off throughout the past 5 years, literally only one person in my social circle even knows about it, but it definitely wasn't something to be proud of.

Back
Top Bottom