Comments on SneakerPimp.com Wall Street Journal article

Quote:
Next, I love people who are trying to buy sneakers from supreme to resell themselves, yet complain that supreme is jacking up the price. Could you possibly be anymore hippocritical?? If you are buying to wear or to collect, then you have a right to complain, but don't knock them just because they have the account with nike that you wish you had....if you were mr. supreme I highly doubt that you would sell for retail.

That was directed to the people who are buying to resell only. I have been hearing alot more of this type of complaint from resellers lately and it just makes me laugh.
PATENT23 AUCTIONS!!!!!
[table]Picture yourself crushing xzibit with your tough talk, thats like Christopher Reeves doing the crip walk[/table][table]Got UNC Sheeds????[/table]

This is a great post and truthfully is one of the best on NT as of late. First my comments on

Sneakerpimp.com and Ewayz. I have done business with him before and am in the process of a deal right now. I had no idea he was only 16 and truthfully would have been somewhat skeptical to deal with him if I would have known. Not because of him personally but just because I haven't met too many responsible 16 year olds in my life ( I can only think of the way I was when I was 16, I couldnt keep track of my glove, bat, and uniform at that age)

I am absolutely impressed with Ewayz and sneakerpimp.com he has been courteous and very mature in dealing with. I live in a small town which gets exactly no good shoes and although I pay a hefty ammount over retail to these re-sellers it is the nature of the beast. If people have problems with paying higher prices for rare sneaks they are in the wrong game. I for one have fun buying rare shoes, not because they are expensive but because I know that I am getting something that not too many people have.

I can see where it would be different for those living in the bigger cities who end up going to stores, which should have the shoes, but have been bought out by re-sellers, I can only imagine how frustrating that could be, but for those who would not be able to get our hands on these shoes without the re-sellers it is a great benefit, I guess you could say this whole re-selling thing is a double edged sword.

Just the perspective of a small town shoe collector who appreciates re-sellers. Thanks
[table]AIM: airmax90fan[/table]

Quote:
"I have a retort for you Collie. When the True Blues were released downtown Brooklyn, I have no knowledge of any official retail chain like Footlocker, Footaction, etc. selling the sneakers early. I do however remember all the mom and pop stores on Fulton having them for sale.

I have never seen or heard of an official chain selling their stock early (In my neck of NYC atleast). I could be wrong, but from what I have witnessed and heard I don't believe it happens. As I said before, I could very well be wrong. "

Collie, just to clear it up. I was agreeing with you. I meant that to individuals this usually does not happen, however it DOES to stores.

I personally know of many "mom and pop" stores that don't even have Nike accounts and must turn to wholesalers for shoes, which sometimes ultimately come from chains like FL.
[size=+2][table]ewayz23@sneakerpimp.com[/table][/size][h3]LEGIT LIST[/h3]​

Thank you both for informing me of this. I hadn't know this happened and I can't believe it does either. I could never imagine a manager selling stock that wasn't theirs entirely. The stock does technically belong to the company store so it doesn't seem like something that would be allowed to happen. You live and learn.

Too much exclusives, too much problems.

I like old skool sneakers a lot for their design and innovative ideas... Nowadays the 'hottest' shoes come by a formular of changing colours and adding embroidery etc...

I'd say Nike should stop biting off other people's culture (like supremes.. stussy etc) and revolutionarise their own .. find some real designers.

Design more beautiful and unique sneakers and mass produce them :smile:
smile.gif
Then, the true collectors out here will be happy, and long live Nike.
Always looking for V with #23 in white/fire red and VI carmines, air pressure, command forces and FPKG II royal/white DS in US 11-12

Patent 23, all I meant was WOULDN'T IT BE INTERESTING if Nike's behind the recent exponential growth in the variants??

It may be beyond your comprehension but when was the last time that someone who bought fakes/variants, after knowing they got fakes, decided they're not going to buy authentic Nike shoes??? So the fact that there're tons of fakes out there doesn't mean people will be deterred from making purchases at reputable and "official" distribution channels where Nike derive most of their profits from. In fact, I would bet that the majority of people who purchased fakes eventually purchase at least 1 pair of authentic Nike shoes (of the same model as the fakes) and that the decision to puchase fakes/variants has no bearing/influence in their decision-making process for buying authentics.

Given the above reasoning, if Nike can sell the defective parts to fakes/variant manufacturers and make additional $$$, why wouldn't they do such a thing??? Tarnishing their good name?? P-L-E-A-S-E, if they do good enough of a PR job, which they obviously did to you, and good enough of a cover-up, why would the existance of fakes tarnish their good name?? If people came up to your door and ask to buy your trash, would you sell it to them???

Still, I have to stress, this was only meant to be something to think about and NOT my theory on what's actually going on........

^^^^^^^^^^

and there it is
[h1][color=330066]W[/color][color=330099]W[/color][color=3300cc]W[/color][color=3300ff].[/color][color=6633ff]B[/color][color=3366ff]E[/color][color=3399ff]N[/color][color=33ffff]B[/color]ALL[color=99ffff]E[/color][color=66ffff]R[/color][color=33ccff].[/color][color=0099ff]C[/color][color=0033ff]O[/color][color=0033cc]M[/color][/h1]

JJ, I think the reporter could probably find out about your site just by reading this board. You're not running a terribly low profile business.

No offense about the fakes, but there isn't anyway that Nike is behind it. It doesn't matter if it would be financially beneficial, word would leak, and the company would simply be blasted, credibility down the drain. If Nike was doing such a thing, adidas or Reebok would've gotten some word of it, and put it on the front pages of newspapers. Also, there are adidas and RBK fakes as well, so obviously not all of them are making fakes. I see your theory, but it just isn't right

as for the rest of this discussion, I love intelligence, and I don't see much of it on this board. But we really got the guys together for a good discussion, all the classic members who have something meaningful to say, not just "I JUST COPPED 3 PAIRZ OF JORDANNNNNNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

keep it up
"You can prance, and you can dance, but when it comes to relations...keep it in your pants!" - Kurt Angle http:www.justinrivet.homestead.com/main.html

Upon reading this post and all that came with it, I wondered: Nike should have MORE control, no?

I mean if it really cared about what was going on it would have more of a stake in what was going on with its sneakers, and ish like the Supreme incident wouldn't happen. But I guess that is another story for another day...

From what I can tell Nike no longer cares about certain aspects of the shoe industry.

Look at what they used to do to appease the customers. Limited 500 pair exclusives such as Olympic KGs and Shox. They used to release shoes to reward the customers. Now all the exclusives are GP chromes and Battleground posites selling for $200 and up.

They care about the bottom line. Retros account for about 50% of their sales. Their new shoe designs are neither attractive nor inspiring. I basically think that they don't care any more about anything but the bottom line. The Jordan Brand used to be a valued part of Nike symbolizing only the best of what Nike R & D had to offer. There used to be 1-3 Jordan shoes released in a season. Now we have what 50? It's all about the bottom line. Nike has been whoring itself out for years now and no one is noticing. Their design talent is lacking and their new shoes are uninspiring. The air max line has been discounted for 4 years in a row now. It used to be the apex of the industry. The last good shoe was the air max 97? What was the last good jordan? The 13?

I don't think nike has an agenda to stop sneaker pimping. If anything their goal is to see how eric and JJ are making money so they can do the same or to siphon off it. Hell if theres a demand for dunks let's release more of them. Why do you think there has been such an influx of dunks lately? BECAUSE THEY ARE HOT! When the original dunk retros came out they hit the discount racks for $20. Now that they are valued in Japan, Nike churns out "exclusive dunks" 4x a month. Sure they have a zoom airsole but they also have a $20 markup off original retail.

Lets face it. Nike used to care about the consumer and the products they released. Now they care about cash. If you can't make money off quality, make it off quantity.

I honestly don't think nike cares about mom and pops releasing stuff early because they have done nothing to protect their own Nike Image recently at all. If you look at the way they constantly release product that looks like it has been designed by 2 year olds you 'll get my point. All Nike cares about is that they get their own cream. What happens after that is an afterthought.

PS Nike: Go hire Alphaproject and give him a spot in R & D. His perspective on shoes is something you guys haven't had in years. Innovative designs and new technology ideas are soemthing you will need if you want to continue to be the top dog.

hhmmmm.

much props to ewayZ first off and excellent insight JJ as well as the other NTers whom i can't name at the moment.

i'm hoping the positives of the WSJ article outweigh the negatives and that NIKE will not take desperate measures in hopes of stopping something which they ultimately can't control.

yes, the sneaker pimping game might get harder for us who are involved but those who are truly passionate and put hard work into what they do will still remain in the game.

[font=Courier New,Courier,monospace][color=336699]Shizzzle5 Sneaker & Jersey Store - www.shizzzle5.com[/color][/font]

[font=Courier New,Courier,monospace][color=336699]The #1 Spot For The Latest NIKE, JORDAN, & Authentic Hook-Ups![/color][/font]

[font=Courier New,Courier,monospace][color=whitesize=1]Member of NIKETALK since December 1, 2000. Previous names : ShockwaveLp & Mique23[/color][/font]

perhaps the single most important post at niketalk
in the sneaker game, hindsight is 20/20 and we're all millionaires.
thanks for your continued support of niketalk.
[font=klinkomite,Staccato222 BT]contact krvanch[/font]

whoa, i think caraval just dropped science...agree with most of what you said........
I don't think Nike wants to stop resllers from selling...I think they want to study and understand how the whole "underground" business is happening and working and what they can do to keep that buzz going...because they are in no way hurt....They get paid from their wholesalers and stores regardless...and it spawned a whole bunch of stores (like in My hood in lower Manhattan) that are selling their "exclusive" sneakers, but this has been going on for along time in Japan ..it all comes to the bottom line and as long as no one is stealing from Nike to sell these sneakers early, I don't think the company has a real problem with it.....
Lynn Lavner: "There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Mercedes-Benz 380SL."

great, interesting post.

my personal thoughts? nothing will change unless we can all ban together and put our chuck taylor's back on. i am personally over buying nikes. like someone just said, design-wise nike is stagnant and every buster brownski wears a retro nikes these days....

I remember reading a Nike annual report where an exec. in charge of the Asia Pacific division commented favourably on the "current high prices of Nike products on the secondary market in Japan" and used it as an indicator for expected sustained growth of sales in this region,

For everyone who expesses surprise that chainstores may bulk sell, you could probably have a very interesting conversation with any shoe store manager in the world if you opened discussions with the words

"Excuse me, I would like to buy 100 pairs of shoes please, paying cash."

It would be a very different conversation however to one that opened

"Excuse me, I would like to buy 10 pairs of shoes please using this credit card."

The bottom line is the bottom line.
Take some time out and enjoy Tune of the week 7/22-7/29...Enrique live and direct

i fully agree with you collie...i have seen many situations where a shoe reseller will come in and buy 35 pairs of shoes (not nikes). the economy sucks...people aren't spending as much money...the store manager has to hit his sales quotas. will he take the $$ for the 35 pairs even tho he's been advised by said company not to sell to "grey marketers"...yes. b/c he's had a poor week and that will bring him up to his quota and his boss will be happy that they moved the product.

ppl bend rules. some managers of store staff even get broken off by resellers. it happens all the time. for example with the SBs. i know most shops were supposed to sell 1 pair per colour way. i watched a customer buy a full size run for each set.

the almighty dollar wins.
[table]if you don't know...now you know[/table]

add the Nike reps getting their "beaks wet" by the stores to turn a blind eye too, and it all makes sense!

Its easy for a store manager to mask a bulk sale if he chooses, especially for a cash sale. All you need is the barcodes from the relevant sizes purchased and they can be scanned in as individual sales all day long!
Take some time out and enjoy Tune of the week 7/22-7/29...Enrique live and direct

First off, this is one of the better posts on NT that I have read. Every few months, an actually intelligent post comes along and I'm glad to see members coming out of hibernation to make a statement.

I think MonkeyBoy and JJ basically nailed it on the head.

YES - There are possible negative ramifications here for NT, Sneakerpimp and the consumer. I told E that while I could see the IRS possible coming (hope you got every reciept bro if not you better learn to start filing taxes on your earnings) I don't see Nike doing anything legal for their image would greatly be at stake. Who wants to see a multi-million dollar corporation take on a 16 yr. old kid who earned money thru hard work? And as JJ, E and anyone else with a website will confirm, making money isn't as easy as it was depicted in that article.

YES - I do suspect that Nike may start monitoring some of their retailers a little closer. The major ones (i.e. Supreme and others) will either be A.) conviently be missed and Nike will turn the other cheek or B.) recieve a slap on the wrist. As stated, Nike knows Supreme is a money-maker so don't expect them to clamp down on Supreme. Expect some of the smaller mom and pops who do have Nike accounts to possibly lose theirs.

YES - This may prove good for collectors and sellers who go directly to eBay. Nike may begin to really impose the intended structure for store allocations, price and quantities that resellers can purchase. How? I don't know and I'm not sure esp. when it comes to independent stores but with chains they can have an effect.

If they do improve in this area, that means that the avg. cat may be able to go in and get a pair or two of an exclusive without hearing "Man you just missed out cause some cat can in and bought all 24 pairs". And imagine if retailers actually sold at retail or at least close instead of charging $300-500 for Supreme's, Zoo's and Choc's.

Nike's image did take a direct hit from this so expect change to come. Now the business world and the world in general knows what we here knew all along about Nike's business practices. It's like having someone find out a dirty family secret that no one outside the family knew about.

NO - I don't think can actually effect NT. The most damage they could do was remove Ekin's pics. The next biggest thing is to take away the name. Other than that, they need NT to help create a buzz in cities and communities around the world. Not every knows and can recognize the aesthetic beauty or value of an exclusive AF1 but there's always and NTer to explain and drop knowledge.

NO - I don't think any of us who really love shoes will be deterred from getting what we want. There are too many outlets for us to access. That is what NT is about - meeting and sharing info to find out where and how to get the latest exclusives. As K-Town stated, if you're in the know and if your connected, you'll still get what you want. Thru NT and our website, I feel like I have connections all over the globe. I'll be damned if Nike slips an exclusive past me in a size 13.

Gotty

[table]Checkout WWW.NDConceptz.com - For Shoe Enthusiasts by Shoe Enthusiasts[/table]

Also

As stated by Dopestyles -

"...i am personally over buying nikes. like someone just said, design-wise nike is stagnant and every buster brownski wears a retro nikes these days.... "

- I agree. I used to be a top notch collector but my love has dwindled so much due to these recent releases the prices and the "exclusive"-ness. I've bought basically 2 shoes in 4 months besides white AF1's.

I still consider myself a shoe enthusiast and I still get excited to hear of a new release, hearing people's adventures to get them, etc. etc. but Nike hasn't moved me in months.

Give me back Tinker designing the Jordan line and a few size 13's in stuff like the Escapes and I'll be back in the game hardcore again.

Hell, throw in an actual limited exclusive with a release date, an anxious crowd of other sneakerfreaks and a fury to rush the door to get my adrenaline back up.

Then you'll see me posting "LOOK AT WHAT I GOT TODAY!"
[table]Checkout WWW.NDConceptz.com - For Shoe Enthusiasts by Shoe Enthusiasts[/table]

Brilliant post everyone, probably the best I've read ever on NikeTalk!

I'm just adding my own small input and this relates to comment made by Somber Coeur about Supreme selling stuff at jacked up prices.

I had a conversation with the owner of a small 'trendy' shop in Leeds (UK) the other day that stocks some of the limited Nike product in UK (Escape range, etc) and he was talking about the fact that Nike are meant to be letting him get some of the real exclusive stuff that only a few stores get in London from next year. He then went on to say that Nike don't tell him a price he should sell their stuff at. He says they're not bothered if he marks it up a lot.

I found this comment very interesting for a few reasons:

1) Obviously a lot of these shops all over the world know the shoes are limited and want to make maximum money for themselves whilst they can. It's only business for them at the end of the day but ultimately it wins them a reputation for being overpriced which often means less people will come in and look at their store (so Nike will fail a bit in using limited models to get people looking at what else a store has in).

2) At the same time is shows that clearly Nike is not bothered by their products being sold over the fair price which means they are probably not really bothered by a lot of the internet reselling trade that goes on. It also shows they have no interest in rewarding potentially loyal customers who buy the limited kicks time and time again.

3) Ultimately though they probably think they can only benefit from this situation as unfortunately a lot of people can think a more expensive shoe is somehow a hotter item (even if it's been hyped up in price).

An example of all this came from when I was in NYC earlier in the year and I went sneaker shopping. Some of the price hikes in places such as Union merely left me not wanting to buy some of the rarer stuff as I knew they were hiked up dramatically and it made me not want to give them my money! But as long as demand outstrips supply then this will probably always be the case!

There you go, just my two cents worth!

Peace, Verooka :smile:
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom