Common consensus on when certain pairs are unwearable?

I started this thread in particular about the Black/Royal Is from 01, but I figure why just limit the topic to the one pair and get a solid list of pairs that generally aren't suitable for wear.

I think it's pretty common knowledge that DS IIIs, IVs, Vs, and VIs from 99-02 are pretty much unwearable. What else is there? I've heard OG VIIIs and up were pretty stout as far as wearing them.

Anyone else with more solid info?

Originally Posted by illadelALLDAY

I started this thread in particular about the Black/Royal Is from 01, but I figure why just limit the topic to the one pair and get a solid list of pairs that generally aren't suitable for wear.

I think it's pretty common knowledge that DS IIIs, IVs, Vs, and VIs from 99-02 are pretty much unwearable. What else is there? I've heard OG VIIIs and up were pretty stout as far as wearing them.

Anyone else with more solid info?
info can be found in the sneaker reviews forum which is where this post belongs

OG 11s 12s and 13s are tanks and my 2000 Fire Red Vs are still holding up fine. What you really gotta be careful about are 99 white or black cement IVs, those are prone to cracking. black cement 3s and tb3s from 01 seem
to hold up ok also. Not a good idea to try undsing any 2000 VIs though, especially black infrareds.

yeah much rather have a VNDS pair of anything older than 5 years or so than a DS pair. The rubber is meant to bend as it does when your moving and just sitting in a box for that long its gonna crumble and crack

since i wear all my shoes, og IIIs and IVs are a NO NO haha. but Vs hold up pretty good
happy.gif

Yes 11s are built to last, 5s have been good, just all depends how much they have been worn and how good you are at restoring creases and repainting.

Its not that serious! I rock all of mine....who buys a car not to drive it?? (shrug)

Before I bought my 01 bc 3s they were worn ONCE and that was on the day they were purchased in 2001. I've worn them 3 times so far with 0 problems.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by illadelALLDAY

I think it's pretty common knowledge that DS IIIs, IVs, Vs, and VIs from 99-02

Thats not true at all. The 1999 retro 4's for some reason are very prone to falling apart. 5's are much better. I unDS'd a pair of black metallic 2000's last year without a problem, BUT i had a pair that i wore throughout the years a few times fall apart last time i wore it last year.

i also unDS'd another pair of true blues in Feb and there are no problems.

3's are hardcore tanks. I still have a pair of 1994 white cements that show no signs of going sour.

Originally Posted by jecca650

Before I bought my 01 bc 3s they were worn ONCE and that was on the day they were purchased in 2001. I've worn them 3 times so far with 0 problems.
pimp.gif

Bought 2001 Black/Cements and 2001 True Blue 3's this year, worn them 3 times each, and no problems, no paint chips, cracks, nothing. 
20uvm8y.jpg

2eb7gbo.jpg

Wore my 2003 White/Cement 3's twice, and noticed a little paint creasing on the black midsole but nothing major. 

MY WHITE CEMENT 4's RIP
MY BLACK CEMENT 3's THE TOP BILL JUST CRACKED OFF....

Spoiler [+]
BLK 4-6's STILL KICKING...WHITE 5's PISS YELLOW SO THEY ARE RETIRED

Originally Posted by ohdannyboy

How legit is the bubble test?

If ur talking about the test saying if the the bubble is foggy they are unwearable thats completely UNTRUE.  Lets clear that up now for future references. My 2000 metallic 5's were so foggy that the bubble looked white. literally. I took a hair dryer to them em they are slowly foggin back up but are still 100% wearable. on the contrary my 2000 infrareds are alot less foggy than my metallics but they are on there last breath....not dead yet but it wont be long.....
ohwell.gif

excuse me. i get emotional thinkin about it

GIFSoup

its depressing to think about

I disagree as well. My '99 Cement IV's, Fire Red V's and '00 Navy VI's have slight foggy air units. I been wearing my Cements quite a bit lately and so far so good. I even ran through the mall one day in them (totally forgot I was in them). I thought for sure they were done but they're still intact. My suggestion, is the midsole should be somewhat firm. If it is super spongy, soft and dry, I wouldn't trust them. My OG VIII's are like that and I guarantee I can push my finger through.

Originally Posted by jumpman623

I disagree as well. My '99 Cement IV's, Fire Red V's and '00 Navy VI's have slight foggy air units. I been wearing my Cements quite a bit lately and so far so good. I even ran through the mall one day in them (totally forgot I was in them). I thought for sure they were done but they're still intact. My suggestion, is the midsole should be somewhat firm. If it is super spongy, soft and dry, I wouldn't trust them. My OG VIII's are like that and I guarantee I can push my finger through.
THIS is QFT
the midsole has to be strong. squeeze the midsole at all angles. shld feel like a regular midsole. it goes bad in the back by the air unit first normally so if the area around the air unit is fine when squeezed than most likely they are good. but check the whole midsole just in case. the midsole will be soft when they are bad

My pearl blue IXs from 02 are starting to fall apart. The clue holding the sole together is wearing off, and I only unds'd them back in may. Less than 20 wears :/

It also depends on how you stored them. keep them in cool but dry place without and dont expose them
to strong light (especially sunlight).
So far usually older Air Jordan models using the PU midsoles tend to crack and crumble easy.
Most Jordans you just need to re-glue the outsoles or midsoles again and then they are
wearable again.
My AJ IV died with the midsole degenerating like a zombie
frown.gif

you simply can tear apart the midsole and see the whole AIR unit while
the midsole crumbles like bread.

Back
Top Bottom