Common pick-up game misconception Vol. No such thing as passing to yourself.

Edit: Yuku %#%$%!+ sucks. Had a bunch of stuff typed up too
indifferent.gif

Was basically saying this:

NCAA rule:
A.R. 110. A1 attempts a try at Team A’s basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring or the flange or any other player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his or her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. However, when the shot clock expires and a try by A1 or a teammate has not struck the ring or the flange, it shall be a violation of the shot-clock rule. (Rule 4-68.1, 4-15.4.c and 9-11.2)
NFHS rule:
4.44 SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble.The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runsand is able to catch the ball before it strikes thefloor. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her owntry, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team controlafter the ball was releasedon a try. (4-12; 4-41).

The NBA rule is different, but nobody plays pick-up with NBA court dimensions or NBA rules.

The worst is when you play 21 and you steal/block someone, do you still have to clear the ball?

The rules are different everywhere.

This always brings up an argument on the court... when someone air balls and goes and gets their own rebound... I always call it a self-pass or a travel... but then there is someone who says no its a shot attempt... but I don't see how you can determine what is a shot attempt and what is not... its to general

But that really is at fault for the rules in the NBA and College.... In the NBA it is called a travel, but in college I believe it is allowed... so it will never end

Originally Posted by philly5fan

This always brings up an argument on the court... when someone air balls and goes and gets their own rebound... I always call it a self-pass or a travel... but then there is someone who says no its a shot attempt... but I don't see how you can determine what is a shot attempt and what is not... its to general

It's the official's judgment call, just like half the calls made during the game. Kinda complicated by the fact that pick-up games don't have refs, but not all that complicated.

That said, if someone is intentionally faking shot attempts to pass the ball to themselves, then they should probably just go have a seat anyways
laugh.gif

But that really is at fault for the rules in the NBA and College.... Inthe NBA it is called a travel, but in college I believe it isallowed... so it will never end
I've never played a pick-up game on an NBA sized court.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Originally Posted by philly5fan

It's the official's judgment call, just like half the calls made during the game. Kinda complicated by the fact that pick-up games don't have refs, but not all that complicated.

That said, if someone is intentionally faking shot attempts to pass the ball to themselves, then they should probably just go have a seat anyways
laugh.gif

But that really is at fault for the rules in the NBA and College.... In
the NBA it is called a travel, but in college I believe it is
allowed... so it will never end
I've never played a pick-up game on an NBA sized court.

I don't play pick up on a college sized court either so it's basically just preference... and that is why it is so damn annoying... the way I see it.. if you air ball and go get it yourself then you traveled

This issue hasn't come up while playing pick up it's understood that its a self pass/traveling

But carrying/palming
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

Depends which rules you play by but almost every pick up game I've played in its usually called a travel.

Originally Posted by Jerome in the House

The worst is when you play 21 and you steal/block someone, do you still have to clear the ball?

I feel ya on this one. Im cool with either though as they both make sense to me.

Are you allowed to go out of bounds and then dribble once you get back in?

I was playing a pick up game and poked it away from my guy, it was about to go out of bounds so I flipped it forward past half court and took a step out of bounds. I got in and was ready for a free lay up and then everyone said I couldn't do that once I grabbed the ball. I never had possession when I saved the ball I just tossed it out because it was a few inches away from being out.

That free layup would have tied up the game... /rant

i did this before in a mens league. i had a contested floater about 5ft from the hoop and ended up airballing. i got mad so i caught it and slapped the ball against the out of bounds wall and the ref came and told me i could have put it back up. i was so confused cause i always thought you couldnt catch it again

Ive noticed young dudes dont respect the and 1 call, dunno if that just here in CO. Few weeks ago a dude called and 1 as he drove made the layup and Got fouled at the same time. The dude that fouled him said ball up top tryin not to count the basket, they almost came to blows arguing. I grew up playing in CA and the and 1 call was always accepted.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by Jerome in the House

I feel ya on this one. Im cool with either though as they both make sense to me.
I always play in 21 that you have to clear every change of possession, meaning any block, steal, or missed shot

Originally Posted by kimahrioftheronsotribe

I was playing a pick up game and poked it away from my guy, it was about to go out of bounds so I flipped it forward past half court and took a step out of bounds. I got in and was ready for a free lay up and then everyone said I couldn't do that once I grabbed the ball. I never had possession when I saved the ball I just tossed it out because it was a few inches away from being out.

once u go out of bounds you cant be the first person to touch the ball

Originally Posted by kimahrioftheronsotribe

they were correct

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

Ive noticed young dudes dont respect the and 1 call, dunno if that just here in CO. Few weeks ago a dude called and 1 as he drove made the layup and Got fouled at the same time. The dude that fouled him said ball up top tryin not to count the basket, they almost came to blows arguing. I grew up playing in CA and the and 1 call was always accepted.
Where I'm from, And 1 is just talking %@*+ so you're good if you make it. But you can't call "And 1" then change your mind and call ball up top once you realize you missed. Ideally, don't say anything though until after the ball is through.

Make this thread a Pickup game Rules thread.
Some dude today went up for a shot, saw me coming to swat his stuff, instead of shooting he dribbles the ball while he is mid air. I told him he couldn't do that. He then kept saying "whats the call". My call is ' You can't do that' lol. Isn't that a violation. Probably a travel eh? I called double 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

Where I'm from, And 1 is just talking %@*+ so you're good if you make it. But you can't call "And 1" then change your mind and call ball up top once you realize you missed. Ideally, don't say anything though until after the ball is through.

aint it the same tho? 

i stay callin and 1 if they foul me while im shootin 

if i miss up top if it drops ur ball either way i still called foul 

what i hate is when ppl dont say anything til AFTER they miss and we get the board and they say hold up up top 
mad.gif

Originally Posted by kidoopz

Make this thread a Pickup game Rules thread.
Some dude today went up for a shot, saw me coming to swat his stuff, instead of shooting he dribbles the ball while he is mid air. I told him he couldn't do that. He then kept saying "whats the call". My call is ' You can't do that' lol. Isn't that a violation. Probably a travel eh? I called double 
laugh.gif
you could of called both 

Back
Top Bottom