Complex Sneakers "The 25 Greatest Nike Signature Basketball Sneakers of All Time... Your opinion???

I found this list interesting. I personally feel there could've been a swop for some of the shoes listed, but that's just me... Without further ado:

Link here:
http://www.complex.com/sn...l-sneakers-of-all-time#1

"With the NBA heading into the final stretch run, we decided to finally break down Nike's best signature shoes. From the latest and greatest to ones worn by the Glove, Sir Charles and VC, Complex hits you with another list to discuss — The 25 Greatest Nike Signature Basketball Sneakers of All Time. (In the interest of not turning it into a list of a dozen Air Jordans and some other shoes, we only took the original Air Jordan 1 into consideration. Yes, Jordan didn't spin off into its own brand until later, but in the interests of fairness and variety, this seemed like the best solution.)" - Complex

^Not sure how I feel about that, with the multiple repeat players on here...
indifferent.gif

25. Nike Shox VC 2

When: 2002

Its design influenced by a Bentley, the luxurious Shox VC 2 was a whole different beast than its stripped-down, zipped-up predecessor. The lining was plush, the external heel counter elegant, the mix of perforated and smooth leathers sublime. Vince Carter was the face of Shox when it came to basketball, and the VC 2 was the flagship of the line. From the signature on the tongue to the "VC 15" logo visible through the ankle cutaway, you knew right away who these were for.

24. Nike Air Zoom Flight V

When: 1997

A track spike for the court was what Nike's design team was after with the Zoom Flight V, and that's exactly what Jason Kidd got with its low-to-the-ground feel and aggressive tread pattern. The "bugeye" on the midsole was a carryover from the Zoom Flight 95, also worn by Kidd, but this shoe featured his logo on the heel. Welcome to the big time.

23. Nike Air Pippen I

Year: 1997

Scottie Pippen's first signature shoe was a hit to everyone but him, as he preferred the feel of lower-profile Zoom Air to the more pillowy Max. Pip's personal size 16 PEs would feature Visible Zoom instead of the market version's full-length Max. Aaron Cooper's next design (which we'll get to later) would correct that presumption, but the flowy lines of the first Pip shoe still resonate.

22. Nike Air Flightposite II KG

When: 2000

Before he went on to rep every sneaker company in the known universe, Kevin Garnett was a Nike guy through and through. He wore every sneaker he could get his hands on as a rookie — including Air Jordan XIs in a game against Michael himself — and who could blame him? He was a literal Kid in a virtual candy store. Eventually Nike saw fit to hook him up with his own signature line, and by 2000 he was the face of the Flightposite, a technically advanced model that provided all he needed for his versatile game.

21. Nike Zoom GP II

Year: 2000

The Glove's most famous shoe was of course The Glove, but Gary Payton did have other signature models as well. The Zoom GP II looked to cars for inspiration as many early 2000s shoes did, and featured an aggressive tire-like traction pattern, a one-piece "shimmer" upper, and a liberal dose of 3M on the external stabilizer. It's hard to make a great-looking overlasted shoe, but these worked.

20. Nike Air Zoom Generation

When: 2003

The shoes that started it all for a 18-year old labeled The Chosen One. LeBron James got laced with the Zoom Generations as a rookie, a $110 Zoom Air shoe designed by a dream team of Nike basketball designers, including Tinker Hatfield. Inspiration came from Bron's infamous Hummer, which nearly cost him his high school eligibility — as if that would have made a difference in the long run.

19. Nike Air Max CW

When: 1995

Chris Webber was a perfect fit for Nike coming out of Michigan — the Fab Five had done as much as any single player outside of MJ to make Nike cool, and Webber's ability to transition from an Onyx-like scowl to a Magic smile made him a natural for anything Nike's marketing team could dream of. As befitting a blue chip prospect, Webber was immediately given a signature shoe — at flagship level, no less — a $140 Air Max that was like a lower-cut Barkley with more hip-hop swag. The Nike relationship didn't last long, as it turned out, but at least we still have the shoe.

18. Nike Zoom Kobe VI

When: 2010

Low and light. Kobe's demands to Nike basketball designer Eric Avar were simple to give, a bit more difficult to carry out. The Zoom Kobe VI carried forward the design principles established in the Kobe IV and refined in the V — they were essentially a spikeless soccer boot which provided support from the bottom up rather than the top down. And this time around they were covered in synthetic scales, a nod to the Black Mamba's reptilian side.

17. Nike Air Pippen II

When: 1998

Pip wanted Zoom Air, and with his second signature shoe that's exactly what he got. The smooth Aaron Cooper designed Pippen IIs featured a well-constructed tumbled leather upper, a custom Mercury inspired jewel side stripe (which also provided support), Zoom Air cushioning, and a sleek cut perfect for the courts or the streets.

16. Nike Air Max CB34

When: 1996

Based off the Air Max Uptempo, Charles Barkley's Air Max CB 34 provided pillowy landings for Sir Charles's rampaging attacks. The CB 34 wasn't quite as aggressive as some of his earlier models, but the use of full-length Max Air, the speedlacing system and the heel and tongue pulls made these one of his most effective.

15. Nike LeBron 8

When: 2010

What Jason Petrie started with the Air Max LeBron 7, he carried over into the LeBron 8. Again based off the new basketball-specific 360 Air unit, the LeBron 8 used Flywire more judiciously, only providing support where the King needed it most. The three-stage release started luxurious, then got more stripped-down as the season went on, culminating in the Zoom/Max LeBron 8 PS.

14. Nike Zoom GP

When: 1999

The lacing/buckle system on the side was king in the late '90s thanks to players like Rodman and GP. The kicks stayed locked on the players feet and Zoom Air technology kept them low to the floor. The lace cover closed with a ski boot/bike shoe style ratcheting clip, which wasn't the lightest choice, but it was loud and brash — just like the shoe's namesake.

13. Nike Zoom KD IV

When: 2011

Engineered and built to the exact specifications for championship athletes around the world, Nike came correct with another great signature model with the Zoom KD IV. The previous models have always one-upped each other, but Leo Chang's KD IV takes a giant leap as one of Nike's best current releases. Aesthetically there is no argument these are the hottest KDs to date, and the strapped-up, low-cut Hyperfuse upper is totally current, yet at the same time pays tribute to shoes that came before.

12. Nike Air Garnett III

When: 1999

Back when Da Kid was reppin' The Swoosh, he started off with a few player exclusives and Jordans before getting his own signature line in 1997. His first two models were cool but it was the Garnett III that really impressed. The shoe catered to his game perfectly with a carbon fiber midfoot plate and Tuned Air in the heel for lightweight stability and Zoom Air up front giving him the ability to remain explosive on the wing, wreaking havoc against centers who lacked his speed and agility. The "fade" upper was pitch-perfect for the time as well.

11. Nike Air CB34

Year: 1995

Has there ever been a more aggressive basketball shoe than the Air CB34? Not that we can think of. The rugged kicks with the brazen "SIR CHARLES" worked into the outsole would have looked more at home on a football field, what with their prominent forefoot "teeth" and be-Swooshed midfoot strap. Only one player in the NBA could have pulled these off — and boy, did he ever.

10. Nike Zoom Kobe IV

When: 2009

After his first few (and mostly traditional) sneakers with The Swoosh, Kobe and company decided it was time to switch the style up and hit the masses with a whole new kind of basketball shoe. Inspired by his soccer-style days growing up as Jellybean Bryant's son in Italy, the Zoom Kobe IV weighed just over 10 ounces, and was cut down low for freedom of movement. You're welcome.

9. Nike Air Max LeBron VII

When: 2009

The LeBron VIIs are to King James' signature line what the IIIs were to MJ's kicks — the transformation to a sneaker bigger than anything else at the time. The LeBron VIIs pushed things aesthetically with some of the sickest colorways and concept sneakers since Jordan's own line (and Jason Petrie's design paid notable homage to MJ's own XIs). The VIIs also saw Nike ditch Bron's traditional Zoom cushioning for Air Max, and added Flywire to trim the fat so Bron could stay light on his feet. The shoe also introduced a playoff edition to switch things up during the tough battles of the postseason.

8. Nike Zoom LeBron II

When: 2004

With a lot of pressure on Nike to step it up for LeBron James’s second kicks, they came out with a shoe suitable for a King. The stacked full-length Zoom Air units were a huge success comfortwise and the laser-graphic details on the ballistic mesh and leather upper looked sick. The sneaker was also the introduction to Bron’s now signature lion logo. Ken Link's design also featured removable straps, which gave the former gridiron star's shoes a football feel.

7. Nike Air Max Penny II

When: 1996

Penny Hardaway's second signature sneaker still stands as one of the greatest basketball kicks ever. The shoes utilized 3M hits throughout the upper and the branding on the ankle to pop on the courts. For cushioning you had the classic combination of Air Max in the heel and Zoom Air in the forefoot allowing Anfernee maximum comfort and a close-to-the-ground feel so he could torture opponents on the drive or stop on a dime and drop one to teammates cutting to the bucket. The ripple foam support "wave" and the "Atlantic Blue" colorway pushed these to classic status.

6. Nike LeBron 9

When: 2011

Starting where the LeBron 8 PS left off, Jason Petrie utilized nearly every weapon in Nike Basketball's significant arsenal to create the best LeBron signature shoe yet. The LeBron 9 stayed with the Zoom/180 Air configuration of the LeBron 8 PS, yet featured a far more refined upper with Flywire up front and a cushioned weave towards the back. The exaggerated cut allows LeBron to lace high in the front, and still provides freedom of movement at the heel.

5. Nike Air Max Penny I

When: 1995

Penny's first signature shoe was easily his greatest shoe in the I-IV series. The sneaker featured the visible heel Max Air unit with the "1 Cent" logo right above it, a pinstriped tongue (a nod to the Magic uniforms) and a PU support panel, and its great design and black/white/varsity royal colorway made these just as appealing for hoopin' in or rockin' to class. Speedlacing and heel and tongue tabs allowed for easy entry.

4. Nike Zoom Flight '98 "The Glove"

Year: 1998

Yet another Nike signature shoe inspired by cars, Gary Payton's "The Glove" featured a sleek and smooth exterior laid over a high-tech chassis. The first shoe to feature the "monkey paw" anti-inversion device, the Glove came equipped standard with Zoom Air (natch), a breathable mesh upper, a carbon midfoot plate, and that spandex "glove" that kept it all together.

3. Nike Air Max2 CB

When: 1994

Charles Barkley's first signature model embodied exactly what the "Round Mound of Rebound" was all about — it was strong, durable, and ready for battle in the paint. The shoe featured an Air Max 2 Unit in the heel for extra cushioning for a player with a few extra pounds of pushing, and the metallic-underlayed upper was inspired by a straitjacket. Appropriate.

2. Nike Air Foamposite One

When: 1997

A real game-changer. The molded Nike Air Foamposite 1 was different from anything Nike had ever done before, different from anything ANYONE had done before. Allegedly a design intended for Scottie Pippen, when Pip passed it up, Penny Hardaway stepped in. Eric Avar's design used the best Nike had to offer, from Zoom Air to a translucent outsole to a carbon spring plate. The $180 price point was astronomical at the time — but perhaps appropriate for some shoes that looked like they came straight from a NASA laboratory.

1. Nike Air Jordan I

When: 1985

The one that started it all. When Nike decided to pursue Michael Jordan, they had considerable disadvantages — among them being the brand was just 14 years old, and Jordan preferred to wear adidas. To get him in the fold, Nike worked with his agent, David Falk, and consultant Sonny Vaccaro on an outrageous idea, that Michael wouldn't just be an endorser, but the face of his own brand, with his own logo and his own signature shoe. Designer Peter Moore came up with the ball and wings logo, and it was placed on a radical red and black hightop that defied all norms of basketball shoe design. Nothing would ever be the same again.

So, tell me what you think???

That's probably one of there better list's i've seen them do, I dont really have beef with it, i think the penny 4 should be in there besides the zoom gp 2  but other then thats its not that bad of a list

Originally Posted by firefly23

That's probably one of there better list's i've seen them do, I dont really have beef with it, i think the penny 4 should be in there besides the zoom gp 2  but other then thats its not that bad of a list

I agree, I think I would've added the Air Bakin's or Total Air Max Uptempo's.

Originally Posted by VicRain24

Naw I dont like this list. Too many Lebrons on here. Prisoners of the moment..

Which is why I couldn't understand them saying they only put the AJ's 1's on there, but you have 5 pairs of LBJ's????
30t6p3b.gif
Sounds "Bass Ackwards" to me!

lebron 9 on the list and not the 4? Also missing the Morf series. Meanwhile the kd4 is on the list?

At one point I thought the whole lebron line was gonna be in there
laugh.gif

not a bad list tho

eh!

Kobe IVs n NO Vs
30t6p3b.gif

All sorts of LeBron's n one AJ that I don't even think is the best AJ, imo

And not mention its missing a 'few' shoes that have been mention already

But you add the KD IVs???

Let's try this list again

KD IV?
laugh.gif
  Lebron VII?
laugh.gif

The Foamposite One should be number one and the Kobe IV should be ranked in the top 10, it basically started the lowtop revolution.

Some of the kicks are on point,but a few of them have no business on that list (at least to me).

That list was longwinded and unfocused. Quite a few of the shoes in that list are nothing remarkable.

Imo you should rethink that Jordan statement it should be any air jordans 1-6bc these are the ones that carried the Nike air on the back.

Originally Posted by balkiny03

Imo you should rethink that Jordan statement it should be any air jordans 1-6bc these are the ones that carried the Nike air on the back.

I feel you, but I wasn't discrediting the AJ 1s

More baffled at the fact that it was the ONLY AJ on the list

Back
Top Bottom