Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

How you think Cashmeousside girl is charting and got signed? :lol:

Paid Streaming, YouTube & Social Media >>>>

cash me outside girl was already someone thats why, or are we going to forgot why she got in da 1st place?

for someone who's a complete nobody, that can't wait on instantly going viral on DR phil, or Vine, or IG, there's livemixtapes/datpiff mixtape plus da indie video on WorldstarHipHop/YouTube.

:lol: barriers to music as to why Kim ain't pop..

you can't shine a **** stain b.

Is this post from 2007?

Those sites DO NOT do that for artists and their fans in 2017. Datpiff / Livemixtapes is virtually worthless now.

what's are you talking about? datpiff/livemixtapes does label sanctioned album streams all da time (lil uzi vert) and constantly drops artist pushed mixtapes all da time as well as da indie artists.

social Media helps push a SINGLE if anything.

Which was what I was alluding too. Cashmeoutside ain't Hip-Hop and what not (Idc) but we quick to say Cardi 100% Hip-Hop when she saying she not black, calling dark skinned girls 'burnt roaches'

But we don't care cause she got a bag fixed her teeth and her phenotype is closer to what we identify with as Hip-Hop

Again saying your not black doesn't mean your shaming black heritage, IDK about anywhere else but in NYC if you ask a Dominican what they are they're not gonna say black, Ask a Jamaican they're not gonna say black, ask a bajan they're not gonna say black etc etc.... while they realize its all under the umbrella, people usually state the region & culture they identify with directly.

& people are quick to say Cardi's 100% hiphop because when you grew up in certain areas & are also grown in a similar culture it's easy to recognize when someone is being authentic to themselves or trying tp push a certain Agenda..

That lil white girl could absolutely be ignorant & disrespectful naturally, doesn't mean she's of the culture.

Ninja :rofl:

I bet a girl on your block can tell you more about her IG videos than whatever mixtape she put out. It's a fact that her personality is what got her going.

ya not understanding what datpiff/livemixtapes do..they don't make anyone"hot" there's hoards of basura rappers on both sites being uploaded hourly.

what these sites do is provide instant "plumbing" and infrastructure to someone who's on da come up but not quite there yet.

you're brand gotta be certified already to holla at da mass streaming apparatuses thats out now.

for da mixtape circuit/club show touring/walk thru/ rappers, datpiff/livemixtapes is invaluable.

I understand quite perfectly what they used to do, and what they do NOW.

Pre late 2014/2015....Before the streaming revolution....LiveMixtapes and Datpiff were strong presences in the "downtime" for major artists. Back when the model was Mixtape>Album>Mixtape>Album. They also served as a home plate for artist tourning the chiterling circuit to feed their fan base. You'd go on LiveMixtapes/Datpiff any given month and see major hip hop artists with countdown exclusives solely made to be distributed on that website.

Then the steaming revolution hit...and you see it less and less. All the "featured" tapes are now Ralo, Young Scooter and Key Glock....as opposed to Future, Migos, Meek Mill, Gucci Mane, Yo Gotti, Wale etc.

If you can't see how streamig music changed the landscape for these sites...idk what to tell you.

what's are you talking about? datpiff/livemixtapes does label sanctioned album streams all da time (lil uzi vert) and constantly drops artist pushed mixtapes all da time as well as da indie artists.

social Media helps push a SINGLE if anything.

Fam, in 2017 no popping artist is having datpiff / Livemixtapes host their tapes anymore. That's what i'm talking about. Projects go straight to spotify / Apple Music / Tidal.

Mixtapes are dead and streaming killed it.

no popping artist is having datpiff / Livemixtapes host their tapes anymore. That's what i'm talking about. Projects go straight to spotify / Apple Music / Tidal.

what part of this....

da music has to be there and available.

livemixtapes/datpiff is there to drop things a quick without any industry red tape. you only drop on Spotify/tidal/apple when you're already established with proper management and you wanna pace your releases.

you don't understand?

when you on da come up you dropping on livemixtapes/datpiff first then as you ascending you drop em simultaneously with apple/Spotify/tidal to monetize da free stuff as well as maximize exposure.

once you get to drake levels you drop on those platforms exclusively, and of you're extra poppin you sign a exclusive deal with one streaming vehicle.

what part of this....

you don't understand?

when you on da come up you dropping on livemixtapes/datpiff first then as you ascending you drop em simultaneously with apple/Spotify/tidal to monetize da free stuff as well as maximize exposure.

once you get to drake levels you drop on those platforms exclusively, and of you're extra poppin you sign a exclusive deal with one streaming vehicle.

What you don't understand is that no one "On The Come Up" drops stuff on Livemixtapes anymore. That is, anyone who's seriously trying to do the music thing. They don't.

The path of dropping free songs and sets on Soundcloud that gets enough buzz to drop a project on apple music or spotify is the path for artists on the come up today. That's the path that artists use. This is a fact.

The idea that Datpiff and LiveMIXTAPES is even close to being relevant for artists as a platform when MIXTAPES THEMSELVES aren't even a real thing anymore is funny :lol:

Yeah it's more SoundCloud these days, not saying artist don't still use DatPiff but more times than not they're putting that stuff out on their SoundCloud

i just went to datpiff right now.....

Screenshot_20170919-165505.png

Screenshot_20170919-165112.png

Screenshot_20170919-165407.png

datpiff does deals to stream albums on their platform as far still hosting mixtape releases for aritsts (see Juicy J)

da rumors of datpiff/livemixtapes demise have been premature.

i just went to datpiff right now.....

Screenshot_20170919-165505.png

Screenshot_20170919-165112.png

Screenshot_20170919-165407.png

datpiff does deals to stream albums on their platform as far still hosting mixtape releases for aritsts (see Juicy J)

da rumors of datpiff/livemixtapes demise have been premature.

This further illustrates the point :lol:

Back in like 2013...an artist like Uzi would've done an exclusive....and the artists with tapes around him featured would've been tapes from Wiz, Future, Wale, Meek, Gucci etc etc. Whoever was hot at the time.

Now, they just throw that up because why wouldn't you have your music on every available platform :lol:.

The path of dropping free songs and sets on Soundcloud that gets enough buzz to drop a project on apple music or spotify is the path for artists on the come up today

SoundCloud bout to die, what are ya talking about?

:lol:

SoundCloud's job when it works is to highlight ONE song at a time

livemixtapes/datpiff is da first dry run at a project, once its recieved well then its also dropped on Spotify/tidal/apple.

then when you lit you do apple/tidal/Spotify only
with free datpiff/livemixtapes later

then you drop albums exclusively on apple/tidal

there's levels to get poppin.

This further illustrates the point :lol:

Back in like 2013...an artist like Uzi would've done an exclusive....and the artists with tapes around him featured would've been tapes from Wiz, Future, Wale, Meek, Gucci etc etc. Whoever was hot at the time.

Now, they just throw that up because why wouldn't you have your music on every available platform :lol:.

Ding ding ding

Relax....I'm just f'n with you :lol:.

But there I have seen some people try to pretend like they do these the resemblance :nerd:. It's not about giving "full credit"....but it's important to not downplay the origin of the song.

Cardi B more than did her part.

I think Kodak getting actual credit on like on paperwork with this one. It's basically an interpolation.

I mean while the mixtape websites aren't the end all be all, as a new up & coming artist having a highly ranked tape on one of those sites can still help you generate a buzz ESPECIALLY if your not a single driven artist.

Just based off the numbers listed up there & the artist, fans are still checking the mixtape sites daily. it would be much easier for a new artist to be featured on one of these sites as opposed to ever being featured on the front page of a Tidal, Apple Music, Spotify etc etc.

if your still exposing your music to hundreds of thousands of potential new listeners daily i can't say the platform is dead, weakened from prior heights sure but completely dead no.

I don't think anyone said it was dead...but it's not one of the primary methods of releasing music to fans anymore.

Hell...all the street trap Gucci Mane wannabe ****** with all the face tats that drop run of the mill tapes that only 5K people will hear...have moved on to Spinrilla & MyMixtapes.

Back to the og point...the size of LiveMixtapes and DatPiff's role in Cardi being here right now is the same size as a grain of sand.

Last edited:
whether the mixtapes were on live mixtapes, my mixtapez, tidal spotify etc etc doesn't make a difference to me personally, those two mixtapes she dropped prior to Bodak Yellow dropping actually did really well for her. Because i remember being stunned watching club videos of her & chicks knowing her **** bar for bar. Or seeing chicks i know tweeting song lyrics/clips etc etc.

Bodak obviously got a push but her success was just as organic as it gets in these times.

How Cardi B's 'Bodak Yellow' Exploded on Streaming Services
9/19/2017 by Dan Rys

• EMAIL ME
cardi-b-live-smile-aug-19-2017-billboard-1548.jpg

Prince Williams/WireImage
Cardi B Performs at Streetz Fest 2K17 at Lakewood Amphitheatre on Aug. 19, 2017 in Atlanta.
"You know how you listen to a song once and you like it, and then you listen to it again and you're like, 'Oh, this is something else'?" Apple Music head of artist curation Carl Chery says about hearing Cardi B's "Bodak Yellow" for the first time, a few days before its June 16 release. "It's something I noticed in the last couple years: Every now and then someone has a hit where the energy just feels different every time it comes on. It doesn't feel like a hit, it feels like a moment."

By all accounts, the summer of 2017 has served as Cardi B's moment. In the three months since the debut of "Bodak Yellow," the song has climbed all the way to No. 2 on the Hot 100 (behind only Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do"), becoming the highest-charting song by a solo female rapper since Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda" reached the same peak in 2014. And this week, after a steady nine-week climb, the song reached No. 1 on Billboard's Streaming Songs chart for the first time, with 40.8 million streams in the U.S.

ADVERTISING
As Billboard reported last week, the rise of streaming as the dominant form of music consumption has led to a hip-hop/R&B takeover in the U.S., with "Bodak Yellow" the latest track to ride the wave to chart success. "The marketing part of streaming is interesting, and we do some things that we normally didn't do," says Michael Kyser, president of black music at Atlantic Records, Cardi's label, which has also seen streaming-driven success with the likes of Lil Uzi Vert and Kyle. "Radio is still one of the dominant forces, but we do things slightly differently [now] as far as super-serving the Spotify's, Apple's and Tidal's of the world. They're all really digging into the genre."

But while the mainstream is still watching its ascent, curators at major streaming services like Apple Music and Spotify have seen it coming from a mile away.

READ MORE
Hip-Hop Is Dominating Streaming - And Rappers Like Cardi B and Lil Uzi Vert Are Leading the Way

The day "Bodak Yellow" was released, Chery placed the song on Apple Music's Breaking Hip-Hop playlist. "After a few days I noticed there was already some traction on the hip-hop charts, at first just in the high-100s," he says. "I think just based on the fact that it was on one single playlist and it got that much engagement, it just made me think, okay, our users are really responding to it."

A week later, Chery placed the song on Apple Music's biggest playlist, A-List Hip-Hop, and watched its streams jump 124 percent in its first week, then 31 percent, 14 percent and another 30 percent in the three weeks that followed. By August, the song had reached No. 1 on Apple Music; to date, according to the company, it's been streamed 81 million times globally on the service. "I don't remember anything else taking off this fast," Chery says. "It wasn't specific regions. It was across the board."

Spotify's global head of hip-hop Tuma Basa remembers the day he decided to place "Bodak Yellow" on Rap Caviar, the streaming service's biggest playlist with 7.5 million followers. On June 20, four days after its release, Basa had added the song to Get Turnt, which itself boasts more than 3 million followers. The song's stylistic similarity to Kodak Black's "No Flockin" -- Cardi admits to borrowing Kodak's flowfor her track, hence the titular homage -- caught Basa's attention, as "No Flockin" had performed well on Get Turnt two years prior. It was a month later, on July 21, that its allure became undeniable.

"It was a Friday morning and I was working from home. I went to a Dunkin Donuts in Harlem and even the Dunkin Donuts was playing it," he recalls. "I heard it there and I was like, 'This is a sign.' At that time the numbers were good, but they weren't stand-out good. But that's why we have human beings curating; by that time, it was the hottest record in New York. The streets deserve all the credit for breaking that record."

After a month on Get Turnt, the song had grown from 10,000 listeners to 50,000 listeners to 149,000 listeners, Basa says. Once it landed on Rap Caviar, however, the streams began to shoot through the roof: 280,000 listens, then 380,000, then 500,000 -- within a week it climbed to north of 800,000 listeners, eventually racking up 76 million global streams to date on Spotify, according to the service's public metrics.

READ MORE
Cardi B Breaks Down the Making of 'Bodak Yellow'

"If you look at the trajectory, it's like a nice ski slope; it's not a bunny hill, it's not a cliff, it's just steady growth," he says, likening its rise to Young M.A.'s "OOOUUU" last year (the song made similar leaps as it climbed the Hot 100). "There wasn't a campaign around it. There's nothing forced or pushed about that. That's natural."

On YouTube, the story is similar. The song's official video has amassed 154 million views (as of press time) since it was uploaded June 24. But according to YouTube's Music Insights -- which calculates total views by combining both official video views and views from user-uploaded videos identified by its ContentID system -- the song has ballooned past 200 million, picking up steam through August and peaking with 6.4 million views in a single day on Sept. 2, with more than half those total views coming within the past month.

So what has made "Bodak Yellow," Cardi's first-ever charting single, such a smash hit?

"I think she just caught it perfectly: It's two verses, 20 bars each, doesn't feel too long, it's the right length," Chery says. "It's her energy on it, too. It just feels like a perfect storm; everything about this song feels right. With the landscape right now with streaming, there are certain songs that are more likely to take off than others. I would say that that one just kind of fits the mold. But the song isn't just good, it's great."

READ MORE
Hot 100 Chart Moves: Cardi B Claims Highest-Charting Hit For Female Rapper Since Nicki Minaj

"It's an anthem, and it's a repeatable anthem, especially for the ladies," says Basa, taking note of Cardi's appeal across demographics in a traditionally male-dominated genre. "I think people truly believe in her. I think we're witnessing her evolution, we're witnessing her come up, and I think her fans are deeper; they relate. They feel like if she wins, they win. I think it's about people buying into Cardi B."

Yet...

Here is Luv is Rage 2 streaming on Soundcloud for free

some of ya got it confused, lemme break it down.

-artist A wants to drop a project, they're not Drake, Kendrick, Jay-Z, Beyonce.

-they cook up a mixtape

-to sample some tracks they drop a couple of links on their social media to SoundCloud, YouTube.

-entire mixtape project drops on datpiff/livemixtapes.

-they do little club appearance, and local shows, get show money.

mixtape then gets dissected track by track and gets uploaded on YouTube/Spotify/apple/tidal

-popular song's spreads, official Spotify, apple music, tidal single push starts

-music video drops based on analytics of da numbers of what did what on da mixtape.

-song gets major push cuz of da video

-actual album drops because da R&D to pay for said album is done based on success of prior releases on mixtape that got monetized once it got dissected and uploaded on streaming services.

-profit.

, those two mixtapes she dropped prior to Bodak Yellow dropping actually did really well for her. Because i remember being stunned watching club videos of her & chicks knowing her **** bar for bar. Or seeing chicks i know tweeting song lyrics/clips etc etc

bingo, da ground work has to be laid first for that to happen, people have to believe in you first.

Yo I'm DEAD at Joe Budden taking his hoodie off when he was fired up mid argument :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom