Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Going off on a tangent but rap really went from idolizing the drug dealers to idolizing the users...

Maybe cause I’m in school where theres a bunch of 18 year olds, but they REALLY idolize these new lil whatevers, almost a cult-like following, just into some weird stuff man

I think we have a very one dimensional way of looking at talking about depression and such. I think people benefit from hearing that somebody else is going through the same kind of trauma that they are. The simple fact of hearing somebody else describe an issue that you are currently going through can be very calming know that you are not the only one. And if there's a guy out there making money while he's going through these same problems that person can see themselves being able to have "success" just like them

I could see that having someone relatable could help, but when that same person you relate to is also on drugs heavily & publicly expressing their depression on social media does that ultimately help?

Also what i've noticed recently is that people are using depression very lightly. We are humans we all go through some form of anxiety, down periods but i've seen people with full blown depression. They don't wanna move, don't wanna eat, really at a point where they don't know if they could go on. it's getting to a point where i think some people are feeling a little down & instead of really trying to work thru their issues & resolve it they are now complacent with it because it's becoming the "norm"

I know I'm days late but just finished watching this "street" conversation between Joe and Ak as much as I hate Joe's delivery Ak sound like such a lil kid trying to defend himself. I'm not going to put much into Ak's age and lack of knowledge at his age because how else was he supposed to learn this part of life. Def applaud Joe for taking the heat of being the jerk in his delivery because the base concept of "separate yourself from dudes who are getting themselves into deeper trouble"

Joe is extra with it. Joe is just as bad as Ak when defending Em. Joe would be killing any other rapper who produced the music Em produces with his talent. Ak sound silly defending Triple XXX and trying to make excuses and befriend him, yet he bashes Meek for his decisions. They both contradict themselves.

Going off on a tangent but rap really went from idolizing the drug dealers to idolizing the users...

Maybe cause I’m in school where theres a bunch of 18 year olds, but they REALLY idolize these new lil whatevers, almost a cult-like following, just into some weird stuff man

It's sad, that's why I said we won't see the affects for 10, 20 years.

honestly at some point we gotta stop this insensitive talk when things like this go down..... I wasn't really aware of lil peep at all. So i'm going down Twitter last night & i'm seeing kids talking about how much he influenced their life & how his music helped them get through life etc etc

So i'm clicking on some of these songs & it's focused on nothing but drug use, I own this, My girl left etc etc.... basically things that cause depression & no real suggestion on how to solve it except more self destructive behavior. It's become more & more publicly accepted/ popular to claim your depression but not to actually try to get through it.

No solutions at all it just seems like people wanna say they're depressed, gain sympathy for it & anytime someone tries to offer some real life solutions their shot down for being "insensitive". In the case of lil peep dude was on his IG literally predicting his death, popping pills to the point he can't move & instead of people trying to help or offer other strategies. They showed him "Love" they called him a rockstar, they championed the activities that came as a result of the substance abuse & called him genius for it. This is gonna lead to more & more people thinking this is passable behavior & it isn't helping children at all.

This is why i hate when people say it's "just entertainment" with these rappers. We have young kids who need help being put in a position of influence with even younger kids.

These new rappers and fans have adopted that mindset of 90's rock singers and fans. Where it's cool to just be a weirdo addict. Pop a bunch pills, draw attention by any means. That "I hate life, nobody understands me" **** and that's whats poppin to these younger fans.

Never heard a lil peep song but RIP to the dude.

honestly at some point we gotta stop this insensitive talk when things like this go down..... I wasn't really aware of lil peep at all. So i'm going down Twitter last night & i'm seeing kids talking about how much he influenced their life & how his music helped them get through life etc etc

So i'm clicking on some of these songs & it's focused on nothing but drug use, I own this, My girl left etc etc.... basically things that cause depression & no real suggestion on how to solve it except more self destructive behavior. It's become more & more publicly accepted/ popular to claim your depression but not to actually try to get through it.

No solutions at all it just seems like people wanna say they're depressed, gain sympathy for it & anytime someone tries to offer some real life solutions their shot down for being "insensitive". In the case of lil peep dude was on his IG literally predicting his death, popping pills to the point he can't move & instead of people trying to help or offer other strategies. They showed him "Love" they called him a rockstar, they championed the activities that came as a result of the substance abuse & called him genius for it. This is gonna lead to more & more people thinking this is passable behavior & it isn't helping children at all.

This is why i hate when people say it's "just entertainment" with these rappers. We have young kids who need help being put in a position of influence with even younger kids.

3.gif

peep got tricked wit fu pills that was fentanyl instead of his usual xanz n percs. homie shoulda gotta script smh

**** crazy :smh:

I met him once thru my homegirl who had just started interning at Warner and got assigned to his project. He seemed like a cool _ and was way smarter than I expected him to be. He actually had an advanced understanding of branding, marketing etc. He did lowkey seem genuinely depressed tho heard he had a lot of family issues etc and you already know drugs and money didn't help

Bout to be a bunch of sad females, that was srsly like 70% of his fanbase

Ak sounded so dumb in that Peep segment. He's lucky Joe didn't go off on him.

He was clearly a self destructive dude and it's sad he couldn't get the help he needed but to act like this is a wake up call is crazy. He was wayyyy passed recreational use of drugs on his IG alone.

Ak sounded so dumb in that Peep segment. He's lucky Joe didn't go off on him.

He was clearly a self destructive dude and it's sad he couldn't get the help he needed but to act like this is a wake up call is crazy. He was wayyyy passed recreational use of drugs on his IG alone.

What he have on his IG?

Edit: I just looked at it and it looked like a normal 2017 druggie rapper tbh

Or maybe I'm just desensitized to it now idk, post-Lil Wayne _'s walk around zombie glued to a double cup so much that drugs are just normal everyday rapper **** to me at this point

Keef and them was pouring up in gallons of Hawaiian Punch like 4 years ago

Last edited:

>D>D Ehh....

Sad situation all around....but drugs and music/depression has cut accross and blended genres forever.

The "27th" club didn't start just yesterday.

Last edited:
I could see that having someone relatable could help, but when that same person you relate to is also on drugs heavily & publicly expressing their depression on social media does that ultimately help?

Yes. People who are depressed or see themselves as depressed can be crippled by it and feel like they cannot do anything other than sulk so seeing or hearing somebody still living and enjoying themselves can help or have a positive effects. Yes it's obviously going to show a bad example on how to handle your depression but if his songs talk about the depression that he feels his music can also open conversations about depression and help people overcome it by interacting with other fans of his music and grow from there.

It's too easy to look at this at face value, I'm just saying there's more than one way people can respond to negative influences. Exampled by people can look at him passing at a young age and push away the pills and such and seek help to avoid death.

Joe is extra with it. Joe is just as bad as Ak when defending Em. Joe would be killing any other rapper who produced the music Em produces with his talent. Ak sound silly defending Triple XXX and trying to make excuses and befriend him, yet he bashes Meek for his decisions. They both contradict themselves.

Ak didn't seem to understand why Joe was saying to step back and just wanted to defend his ability to post or communicate with people like ol boy. He didn't get the point of being involved in street s*** in a small way can still get ya head knocked. He was so focused on it being ol boy's words or antics and not his own he missed it.

What he have on his IG?

Edit: I just looked at it and it looked like a normal 2017 druggie rapper tbh

Or maybe I'm just desensitized to it now idk, post-Lil Wayne _'s walk around zombie glued to a double cup so much that drugs are just normal everyday rapper **** to me at this point

Yeah that's the problem Lol

>D>D Ehh....

Sad situation all around....but drugs and music/depression has cut accross and blended genres forever.

The "27th" club didn't start just yesterday.

I don’t doubt it, but now it’s glorified and idolized to be that, that along with mental illness is romanticized in this new era

I don't even watch this show at all, I've only watched the Vic Mensa one for obvious reasons. This thread keeps me up to date and shows me all three parties are as corny as ever. I'm about to get in this podcast game and put these ****** out the paint I just need a couple NTers to get down with me

I don't even watch this show at all, I've only watched the Vic Mensa one for obvious reasons. This thread keeps me up to date and shows me all three parties are as corny as ever. I'm about to get in this podcast game and put these *****s out the paint I just need a couple NTers to get down with me

tumblr_ov5jnaapn91qhjbxeo1_500.png

I don't even watch this show at all, I've only watched the Vic Mensa one for obvious reasons. This thread keeps me up to date and shows me all three parties are as corny as ever. I'm about to get in this podcast game and put these *****s out the paint I just need a couple NTers to get down with me

Holla at the God

I would say so...*****s used to just smoke weed, now they pop molly, xans, etc

This just ain't true for real.

It's always been an image, and multiple drug uses across the music landscape. It comes from with tha allure. "Sex, DRUGS and Rock and Roll. It cut across genres and decades from Blues singers, to soul singers, to R&B singers, to rappers, to rock n rollers and everything in between.

From Motown, Jimmy Hendrix to Future Hendrix, Little Richard, James Brown, Cameo, Curt Cobain, ODB, Hot Boys, Wutang, DMX, 36 Mafia, Murda Inc, UGK; Snoop n Dre, Bobby Brown & Whitney, to Wutang to Joe Budden to Eminem to Amy Whine House to Lil Peep. Etc etc

Lil Peep was literally an Emo Rock/Rapper. Sadly, we've seen this story play out a number of times across decades.

We just see it more because we can view these things at our fingertips.

Social media work fast as hell damn, they already tracked down the girl who gave him the fake Xans

Back
Top Bottom