Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Surburbanites relate to Drake more, that’s the ONLY reason he’s the most popular rappers. Hence, he appeals to Whites and uppity black folks.

Back in the 80s/90s raps reach usually only extended to the middle class areas.

Once the suburbs and other transitionings happened, that’s when lanes for dudes like Drake opened.

If rap were strictly in the pockets of the slums, ghettos, and middle class areas like it use to be, there would be no Drake.

Rap/Hip Hop needs a subgenre strictly for folks from the suburbs.

I like ghetto rap plight music, I can’t rock with suburb-Drake raps.

You a weird dude man. You think black ppl only exist in the hood smh.

I do think it’s his worst album but he still has like 3-4 other SOLID - GREAT albums... Cole has like 2 great ones

True lol I was talking strictly albums

Attention Deficit (2009)
Ambition (2011)
The Gifted (2013)
The Album About Nothing (2015)
Shine (2017)

We agreed Shine sucked, so your saying the remaining four are either solid or great?

Cole had *****s hyped when he dropped those 2 songs before 4YEO...only to drop 4YEO

Now story wise it was pretty cohesive and I “got” the theme...but theres no way you’ll flourish setting your album up like that then drop that kinda project

Everyone thought he was about to go at rappers

I knew better when he said those 2 songs wouldn't make the album. It wasn't even the fact that he was going at rappers for me, it was the aggression and cockiness he displayed on the tracks. He did that in short bursts on Born Sinner and FHD but not at all on his last project. No idea why he doesn't do it more often.

Was it HIM HIM who said Sean only makes music for girls while they’re getting dressed for the club? :lol:

I was nervous when I seent I was mentioned in this thread. But yea that was me :lol:

Only time I ever heard Sean was when my old situaion was in the room getting dressed before we went out :lol:

Def Jam gotta die for how they handled KRIT and CyHi.
I'll never really understand Krit not blowing up, he made songs for damn near every audience but I didn't even know CyHi was on Def Jam. Shouldn't Kanye get some blame for that too, he's been on G.O.O.D for a while and he's just now putting his album out. I remember when he dissed Kanye a few years back but said it was a joke

There’s no other rapper whos benefitted more from building an aesthetic and image than Cole

His content is not even close to his. *****s praise him as this lyrical savant who has so much depth on his raps when really he’s drake with the content except he sprinkles some basic hot takes abt politics and police brutality and boom

How you’re perceived is all abt image and aesthetic
Nikki Minaj dont care if I spelled it right

Attention Deficit (2009)
Ambition (2011)
The Gifted (2013)
The Album About Nothing (2015)
Shine (2017)

We agreed Shine sucked, so your saying the remaining four are either solid or great?

Yes...gifted is the worst out of the other ones but still solid.

Ambition and TAAN are GREAT. Attention deficit too.

don't let Big Sean's effortless flow fool you into thinking he's not solid on a technical level.. this always got Mase haters outta pocket.

That’s what I always give him credit for, being a very technically proficient rapper, but he has less punch behind his rhymes than Trina.

Yes...gifted is the worst out of the other ones but still solid.

Ambition and TAAN are GREAT. Attention deficit too.

I respect your opinion and I'm glad you like those albums. I hated Ambition and thought Gifted and Album About Nothing were solid. I do think Attention Deficit was great thought.

EDIT: I still feel Cole's discography in terms of albums is better though. Nothing he has made is worst than Shine.

Yeah attention deficit is slept on cuz ppl didn’t like that lady Gaga track.

Ambition was heaaaaat tho bro

Meek bodied...back when meek was aight to me

VIBE!!!!

Poetry at its best! Tupac level

I'll never really understand Krit not blowing up, he made songs for damn near every audience but I didn't even know CyHi was on Def Jam. Shouldn't Kanye get some blame for that too, he's been on G.O.O.D for a while and he's just now putting his album out. I remember when he dissed Kanye a few years back but said it was a joke
Yeah, I blame Def Jam less for the CyHi situation, but I think it was something Joe said a while back. It's wild that Def Jam let both of those albums just walk right out the building.

CyHi got too wrapped up in GOOD and they clearly didn't have him as a priority over there.

Shame on Def Jam, though. I know they've been a mess for a while, but I had some hope that they'd get it going back in the right direction. They've fumbled so many artists out the gate. Dave East more of a model than a rapper right now. Def Jam gotta get back to actually developing artists. This era is all about microwave music, though.:smh:

Detroit and Dark Sky Paradise are Big Seans only good projects IMO. Everything else is boring and lacking. He's a good rapper but just like Wale his music ain't THAT good.

Like Wavy said his female choices have helped him a lot.

I like Sean but imo he doesn't have enough skill for that.

Hell nah.

***** What, A Week Ago, Reservoir Dogs...

He ain't got that in him. lol

Went bar for bar with the best out and got him twice, including this. Most underrated rapper in rap period

This song and Control are perfect examples that Sean is ok but he ain't a great rapper. When he's on a song with a great rapper it exposes that he has very little presence. He forgettable.

Back
Top Bottom