Computer Help!! I think it may be a virus.

Here is what happened:

- So I visit the same websites I usually do today but today I noticed a red balloon at the bottom right hand corner of my start toolbar (where the time, volumeis).
- Every 2-4 minutes it flashes a sign that says "Warning! Security Report Your computer is infected! It isrecommended to start spyware cleaner tool."
- When I click on the balloon it takes me here: HERE
- Now my desktop background has even been changed and is all black with a message that is flashing in the middle of the screen saying "Warning Dangerous Spyware: Following viruses were founded on your computer: Trojan Horse, PassCapture, etc. Your private informationmay be potentially transferred to third parties. Please, check computer using advance software. Thanks."
- When I hit ctrl+alt+delete, the "task manager" button is disabled.
- Also, I cannot change my desktop background

I have a windows xp toshiba laptop I purchased two years ago. I dont think I had anti-virus but now i downloadedit.

[color= rgb(153, 0, 102)]What does this mean? What happened? What can I do?[/color] I just moved for school and tomorrow is day1 so its a really bad time for my laptop to get messed up now
embarassed.gif

anyone got any info? thanks.

Don't click on it.

I did and ended up having a bigger problem.....

I ran spybot and avg and got rid of the problem.

Im so heated, I got this from NT yesterday too. I ran Spybot S&D, Malwarebtyes' AND CC Cleaner multiple times and even though they all say they got theviruses, it's still there when I reboot. Is there any other options?..........yes, besides a Mac

i used to have that on my old computer

just scan your computer with a virus protection program and have it take it out

no biggie.

HiJackThis might pick it up... Be careful what you remove though as its all manual.. Most viruses/spyware are quite out of place and have names that appearalmost random ie 38dhgsag.dll, dgft7s.exe, 7fhs87d.exe

JayPesoz has a decent list. I would throw in Avast into that mix and run all that in safe mode as well as normal mode..

top list:
-Spybot S&D
-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
-CCleaner
-Avast
-HiJackThis

actually i had that virus on my computer a month ago and everytime i tried to DO ANYTHING ON MY COMPUTER IT WOULD FREEZE

i believe the virus was called winxpsetup or something like that

same thing a lil balloon popped up at the right

i tried to run my virus program but it wouldnt take it off or it would and it would still be there

i had to reformat my computer because of this and lost a lot of music on my computer

I have a windows xp toshiba laptop I purchased two years ago. I dont think I had anti-virus but now i downloaded it.

Yeah, you shouldn't have done that - you had spyware and now you have a good virus. Normally they're pretty clever and disable your antivirus andS&D and stuff like that.

Bleepingcomputer.com helped me out - they have a help forum where one of the experts will get you back to normal.

It'll probably take a few days though.

MALWARE BYTES, there should be acomputer virus software thread so people know what to use. its freeware and it is the best IMO,its what i use at the company i work for, also, if you dont want to spend money on an antivirus, download avast! it is a good one.

malwarebytes will take care of you

Originally Posted by JayPesoz

Im so heated, I got this from NT yesterday too. I ran Spybot S&D, Malwarebtyes' AND CC Cleaner multiple times and even though they all say they got the viruses, it's still there when I reboot. Is there any other options?..........yes, besides a Mac
you can run the computer in safe mode, that should take care of it.

Originally Posted by neukicks

Im so heated, I got this from NT yesterday too. I ran Spybot S&D, Malwarebtyes' AND CC Cleaner multiple times and even though they all say they got the viruses, it's still there when I reboot. Is there any other options?..........yes, besides a Mac

That's how Im running it right now actually and they're all saying I don't have anymore viruses, but when I re-boot in reglular mode, it'sstill there. Must be some new kind since what Im doing worked fine last time.

That's how Im running it right now actually and they're all saying I don't have anymore viruses, but when I re-boot in reglular mode, it's still there. Must be some new kind since what Im doing worked fine last time.

have you updated malware bytes? how do you know you have a virus?

happy.gif
neukicks wrote:

That's how Im running it right now actually and they're all saying I don't have anymore viruses, but when I re-boot in reglular mode, it's still there. Must be some new kind since what Im doing worked fine last time.

have you updated malware bytes? how do you know you have a virus?

I feel like a dummy, I didn't even think about that
laugh.gif
100% perfectnow
happy.gif

you probably have a smitfraud virus. You can use all the virus scans and it will say it has removed it, but this thing sits in your system32 folders and thescanners dont pick it up. Google smitfraud fix or something and there should be a step to step guide on how to manually remove it. There should also be asoftware to help specifically for smitfraud virus'.

speaking of viruses has anyone gotten or heard of brontok virus...i got the virus when i was trying to d/l the 3.0 iphone update little did i know i got anextra surprise i did not want to find...any help would be great...ohh yea i have trend micro and it isnt able to get rid of it.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

HiJackThis might pick it up... Be careful what you remove though as its all manual.. Most viruses/spyware are quite out of place and have names that appear almost random ie 38dhgsag.dll, dgft7s.exe, 7fhs87d.exe

JayPesoz has a decent list. I would throw in Avast into that mix and run all that in safe mode as well as normal mode..

top list:
-Spybot S&D
-CCleaner
-Avast
-HiJackThis

i used malware bytes. also, make sure you get MS updates. otherwise, that virus is going to keep attacking that same hole that hasnt been updated.

go take it somewhereto get it cleaned by a pro.i have had this happen to me about 4 times already,i have tried installing an antivirus software to fix it butthe virus stopped me from installing it.

Originally Posted by rizobs

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

HiJackThis might pick it up... Be careful what you remove though as its all manual.. Most viruses/spyware are quite out of place and have names that appear almost random ie 38dhgsag.dll, dgft7s.exe, 7fhs87d.exe

top list:
-Spybot S&D
-CCleaner
-Avast
-HiJackThis

i used malware bytes. also, make sure you get MS updates. otherwise, that virus is going to keep attacking that same hole that hasnt been updated.

yeah, I can't believe how simple it was after updating it. I was running the version I had downloaded during the winter. One update and and my laptop wasgood as new again.

Originally Posted by frankthekingdtx

go take it somewhereto get it cleaned by a pro.i have had this happen to me about 4 times already,i have tried installing an antivirus software to fix it but the virus stopped me from installing it.

Most places are a ripoff and it's really nothing you can do easily yourself. Viruses usually prevent you from using your anti-virus software once it'sin, but a simple run in "safe mode" can fix that.

Back
Top Bottom