Conference Realignment...Vol. What's going to happen?

I was curious as to what you guys think the conferences will look like...

Think 5 years from now...what will the conferences look like? What teams will be where?

I think the Pac 16 will happen...so you would have something like this...
"The South Division"
OU
Okie St.
Texas
Texas Tech
Arizona
Arizona State
USC
UCLA

"The North Division"
Cal
Stanford
Washington
Washington State
Colorado
Utah
Oregon
Oregon State

The Big 12 would then be eliminated...which would send KU, K State, Iowa State, Baylor, and Mizzou into no man's land...would they go to The Big East? Big 10? Mountain West?

It seems as if the NCAA would just turn into four 16 team Power Conferences...The Pac 16, Big "10", Big East, and SEC...

What do you guys think?

I hope there are Super Conferences and they secede from the NCAA.

Decreased water down talent pool
Increased competition

Way too much money to be made by these conferences and schools to stay in the NCAA if there are Super Conferences. Most of these schools would survive without a conference i.e. Texas, ND, Bama, ect. They are their own brand.

The PAC 16 with Texas, hinges on Texas dropping the idea of LHN. I still think it will happen with or without Texas. Right now Larry Scott has all the leverage since it looks like OU and Okie State do f want their fate in Texas' hands. It's either Pac 16 or Independent for the Longhorns.

Texas DOES NOT want to lose the chance of aligning itself with California schools.

Oh, hate to kill the curiosity aspect of it but if the PAC 16 happens it will have East/West divisions, with the original Pac 8 schools in the west and the Big 12 schools + Utah/ASU/Arizona in the East.

i think there is no way the PAC-16 breaks up the Cal Schools.
West...........East:
Oregon.........Arizona
Oregon St.....Arizona St
Wash............Utah
Wash St........Colorado
Cal................Texas
Stanford........Texas Tech
UCLA..........Oklahoma
USC.............Oklahoma St

I also the Big East should Re-do every thing, try to compete with the football confrences. 14 teams-12 football schools. kick some out, steal some from the ACC
laugh.gif
 (this is just for fun. Dont see it happening)
UCONN
Syracuse
West Virginia
Pitt
G'Town
St. Johns
Villanova
Maryland
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Florida State
Miami
Duke
North Carolina

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

The PAC 16 with Texas, hinges on Texas dropping the idea of LHN. I still think it will happen with or without Texas. Right now Larry Scott has all the leverage since it looks like OU and Okie State do f want their fate in Texas' hands. It's either Pac 16 or Independent for the Longhorns.

Texas DOES NOT want to lose the chance of aligning itself with California schools.

Oh, hate to kill the curiosity aspect of it but if the PAC 16 happens it will have East/West divisions, with the original Pac 8 schools in the west and the Big 12 schools + Utah/ASU/Arizona in the East.
Exactly what I was going to say. The Pac-8 will come back and the teams that came after them will belong to the other division, whatever they're named.

But I wonder, if half of this imagined conference isn't bordered by the Pacfic ocean, will it even be called the 'Pac-16?' Sure hope so.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Yeah, that makes more sense, I was just organizing it in the first way I thought of and making it easier on myself to remember all the teams.

What do you guys think will happen to the remainder of the Big XII teams?

hasn't the PAC-? already said they don't want Texas because of the Longhorn Network?

Have no idea what's gonna happen, but I'm just glad Texas A&M is bolting to the SEC. UT is pretty much trying to monopolize everything, so
A&M is better off getting out of town and not getting left behind

The top power conference teams, break away from the ncaa and run their own gig.

Paying players, plus a playoff system for college football.

book it

Originally Posted by do work son

hasn't the PAC-? already said they don't want Texas because of the Longhorn Network?

ya but if they agree to make it a regional network like the pac-12 is setting up then they will allow it

I hope Kansas ends up in the Mountain West Conference
it would be years before they lost a game
laugh.gif

The Big east or ACC has to make a move soon. which ever one just stands back will not have a conference anymore

Originally Posted by Statis22

More than likely that the ACC raids the Big East and the Big East dissolves.
How come? No baiting, genuinely curious why that's more likely.

As a football conference the ACC is more stable than the Big East.

For th Big East to go to 16 in football they would have to go to 23(?) as a basketball conference. I'm assuming the basketball schools would want no parts of that.

i think everything depends on what kind of TV deal the big east gets this year

any chance the pac-16 turns about to be the only super conference?

Originally posted by Hokie Ranger:
OK, here's the latest. The President was notified by Slive that he had confirmed the votes upon arrival this evening. Preparations are already underway on the A&M campus for an announcement to be made tomorrow. The parking lot adjacent to Kyle Field will be partially closed Wednesday to make space for the media. The announcement will be made in the Zone Club. The SEC and A&M want to really put on a show with this. The SEC is not expected to invite a 14th team at this time.

That's from a guy on the VT rivals board whose source is a guy on the A&M Board of Regents; he's been pretty spot on so far.

UPDATED: In order the teams that are being targeted are Virginia Tech first, from what I hear, followed by Missouri and then perhaps Pittsburgh or West Virginia for a market up there in the north, a chance to potentially get Pennsylvania and Baltimore/D.C. markets with those teams. As mentioned the thought is Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are expected to follow up the A&M news and head West.

In addition, this meeting tonight is to discuss the other teams for the SEC as they are pursuing 16 now. The thought is that this can get done in a matter of weeks too.

Stay tuned.

That's from the VT Rivals admin, so it's just whatever he's being told from other guys in the Rivals network as far as I know (this includes Chip Brown from Orangebloods as well as SEC guys). From what I've read VT wants to stay in the ACC unless things completely blow up and the ACC gets raided. What I'm really afraid of is us turning down the SEC and then we get stuck in a rebuilt ACC with Syracuse, Uconn, Rutgers etc
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

The most interesting thing I read that has no chance in hell of happening is Texas going to the ACC so that they can preserve the Longhorn network (Pac 12 and SEC won't let them do that, and the Big XII is about to collapse). Besides the TV network, going to the ACC makes ZERO sense for Texas. It's hard to say what they'll do though, as if they go independent they'll still need a conference for all their olympic sports. 

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

You think they'll get a better deal than the ACC got? I don't think so.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

You think they'll get a better deal than the ACC got? I don't think so.
They already turned down an extension with ESPN that would have given them money on par with the ACC deal. Big East thinks they can get way more than ACC. If true, I dont see Big East teams jumping ship to the ACC.
Right now, Big East football schools make $5 million a year from the current ESPN deal that expires in 2013. That is less than a quarter of what teams in the SEC and the Big Ten bank. But that figures to change dramatically now that ESPN is not the only suitor.

The Big East, the last of the six Bowl Championship Series conferences to renegotiate its TV package, could have signed a deal with ESPN this past May that would have paid each of its football schools $11 million a year.

But current commissioner John Marinatto and his staff understand that college football is viewed as the second most popular sport on TV and that the Big East footprint covers 30% of the households in the country and seven of the top 14 markets. He has decided to explore all his options before sitting down with ESPN in September of 2012.

The league is gambling that other TV networks are just as desperate for live sports programming, if not more. Representatives from CBS, Comcast (which wants a prime-time Saturday night game to compete with ABC), NBC Sports and Fox were all conspicuous by their presence at Big East football media day here Tuesday and sources indicate the bidding could escalate to between $15 million and $18 million for the rights, which would give Big East football more value than the ACC, whose teams make $13 million each in their deal.

"I'm optimistic this will be a game-changer," Rutgers' coach Greg Schiano said. "Save just a natural disaster, it's going to happen. The incremental difference is huge in what we're receiving and what we will receive."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...cks_off_quest_for_pay_dirt.html#ixzz1XE3vTVhy

me & my homeboy was talkin bout this a few weeks back...we think its gon end up bein just 4 conferences or sum $$#* like that

The most interesting thing I read that has no chance in hell of happening is Texas going to the ACC so that they can preserve the Longhorn network (Pac 12 and SEC won't let them do that, and the Big XII is about to collapse). Besides the TV network, going to the ACC makes ZERO sense for Texas. It's hard to say what they'll do though, as if they go independent they'll still need a conference for all their olympic sports.
like there EVER was a chance of texas going to the ACC
roll.gif

and if they wanted to the ACC would bend over backwards to let texas in

Back
Top Bottom