Confessions of a car salesman aka Car Buying Guide *now 20*

i was in the car business for a while and ive experienced a lot of shady things. obviously i cant say all dealerships and salesmen are the same, but this is pretty much what you should expect. if you disagree with anything i have to say, post it and ill tell you what i can but theres just way too much info to post in one shot. i know a lot of you will say "oh yeah, but this is the obvious. everyone knows this" but thats not what ive experienced. here's my car buying commandments:

1. do your homework. people that do not do their homework get ripped off. just because a dealership tells you "this car was the highest rated suv in its class with a 5 star crash test rating" doesnt mean that its true. decide what your number 1 option is in a car and have a few backups. sometimes the car you want isnt the best suited to your needs

2. dont become an emotional buyer. i know a lot of you NTers are young, therefore you dont really have a lot of established credit/bad credit. dont get so excited that you were approved for a $30k vehicle that you just let the salesman dictate how much youre going to pay and dont get so excited that youve finally found the car you want to buy that you let yourself get walked all over in terms of the price/payments. emotional buyers are the ones that get ripped off the most.

3. the saleman is NOT your friend. the job of a saleman is to sell you a car for the most that you can. your job, as a consumer, is to buy a car for the least amount of money as you can. he's there to do his job so if he says "yeah i'll hook you up with a good price" more likely than not, he's just saying that to get you into his office. he's there to put you together (car dealership talk for ripping you off). dont believe what he tells you

4. dont believe the "stupid" salesman. the most effective tactic i used to "put people together" was playing stupid. i had a lot of knowledge on the cars i sold, but i didnt use any of it. when people asked "whats the horsepower" i would reply "i dont know, i'm still new here." if consumers think you know nothing and you're new, they have confidence that they can get a good deal. beware, they know more than you think

5. the lowest they can sell a car at is usually not the lowest. dealerships will take advantage of the fact that they know you want to buy the car. theyre going to try to milk you usually having faith that you will not go anywhere else to buy it. youve already test drove and fell in love with the car, but dont let that stop you from getting yourself a good deal

6. bargain, bargain, bargain. more likely than not, theyll use a sheet of paper called the 4-square to try to bump up the price a little bit. theyre going to tell you with X amount down youre going to need to pay X per month because thats what the bank wants. dont let their price cause you to bump up what you can afford. if you want to pay $200/month then tell them thats what you can pay. dont tell yourself "oh another $20 wont hurt" because it will. $20 over 60 months is $1200. do you want someone to take $1200 out of your pocket?

7. walk out when you dont get the price you want. after you do that theyre going to come after you or call you back 100% of the time offering you a much better deal. remember, the lowest they can sell you the car at is usually not the lowest

8. dont buy accessories as a a part of the deal. i remember one time i sold a car the guy wanted an alarm so we installed that and a few other accesorries, but WE CHARGED HIM $5000. thats what happens when you dont read the contract. you can get better and cheaper parts anywhere else. same thing goes for extended warranties. most of you will trade in your car or sell it so whats the point of extended warranties after the first 3-5 years?

9. read your contract before you sign it. i know youre excited to drive off in your new car, but read the contract. dont initial it if you dont agree with it. unknowingly, i had a customer sign a contract which stated he was buying a car for $19,000 OVER THE STICKER PRICE. theres so many different stories i can tell you about people coming back complaining about their contract, but thats their fault for signing it

10. shop around...dont limit yourself to 1 or 2 places. many will tell you "go to another dealership, they cant offer what were offering." when they say that. call the other dealership and put them on speaker. ask them if they can, but realize they might be pulling your chain too

11. youre in the drivers seat. they need you more than you need them. if you realize that, then youve already won the game

12. wait until the end of the month to buy a car. just like many other jobs, their jobs have quotas. i once sold a car $3000 under MSRP because i had to push one more unit out to get my bonus. better yet, go the last day of the month at night to get the best deal possible. youll be surprised how differently they will treat you

13. MSRP means nothing. sure that BMW says it costs $40k, but thats what you would pay if you had the cash. monthly payments is a whole different ball park, especially if youre going to come in with only $3000 down. once again, take a look at your contract to see what youre really paying. it might be $7k more than sticker.

14. talk to the fleet manager when you walk/call in. you can often buy a car in the range of $300 under invoice depending on how the deal works out. this is one of your best bets if youre looking for a good deal. even if you have to wait for the car to be transferred/shipped in its clearly worth every penny.

15. find the value of your trade-in with kelly bluebook. too many times ive seen the dealership tell the consumer how much their trade-in is worth. many will even print out a false kelly bluebook value sheet to show you. find out how much your trade-in is worth before you go in.

16. dont let the dealership use your credit against you. sure you have bad credit, but dont let them tell you "with your bad credit, this is the price youre gonna have to pay." theyre going to use anything they can against you to make sure you pay the price they want

17. put enough money down to cover taxes and licensing. if you buy a car at $20k in the LA area, your tax and licensing (about 11% combined) will be about $2200. if you dont cover the whole amount, it will be financed into your payments. do you really want to pay taxes for taxes?

18. always get a carfax. enough said.

19. dont fall for the promotions. we used to send out $1k online gift certificates in the mail telling consumers to come in and pick up the prize. it turns out that you could only use it on a designated website that charges $50 shipping for stuff like wine glasses. then we told them they could use it towards a down payment and people would fall for it. if its too good to be true...

20. check your credit union for a loan. usually if you finance through a bank that the dealership provides it will be more than if you try your local credit union
oh yeah, and this is my signature.

yeah, i read one like that when i was still a car salesman. that one is pretty much on point

You speak the truth , my pops used to sell cars for years and the stories he used to tell me on what people paid over sticker and for the extras was crazy, or customers that would have him in there haggling til near midnight . Some shady stuff goes on but if your in the business of selling cars you gotta getthat extra commision . Oh and one more small tip if you are looking for a car btu not quite sure what you want got to the dealership on a sunday as most are closed and you can walk the lot without being bothered

I have to disagree with the orginal poster when he said "tell the dealer how much you want to pay per month".

My advice is to never tell how much your willing to pay per month. Why, say you want an Escalade but only want to pay $700 per month. They can get you a payment around there, but it's for 72 to 84 months :rofl:
roll.gif

While we are on the topic of dealerships, is it true you can totally bypass the car dealers and speak with the internet or fleet manager to buy your car near or below Invoice?

salesman, doesnt matter what kind, all have one interest, and that is your money!

bottomline
Over reaction is my only reaction
Which only sets off a chain reaction
Team Michigan

Quote:
I have to disagree with the orginal poster when he said "tell the dealer how much you want to pay per month".

My advice is to never tell how much your willing to pay per month. Why, say you want an Escalade but only want to pay $700 per month. They can get you a payment around there, but it's for 72 to 84 months

good point. but then again, it all comes down to the consumer reading the contract and doing the math. make sure you do the math because people that buy a car like a used civic will say "$300 bucks a month aint bad" but their term can be for 60 months not including down payment and tax and licensing.

Just a general question. How low can they REALLY go? If I'm looking at a car for $25k, how low can they really get?

Also, when I was with my dad and my dad was telling them something like, "I want it for 18 out the door" the salesman always went to go "ask his manager" or something like that. Are they really asking the manager, or just pretending?

My uncle also told me a story about when he went to go buy a car. He was negotiating with a salesman and made him an offer, the salesman refused. My uncle then asks if he can go ask the manager for him.

A couple minutes later he brings the manager back with him and the manager asks, "So what kind of price were you asking?" My uncle tells him he wanted it for 18 out the door, but the salesman declined. The manager than says, "You said that John?" (John was the salesman's name) Then John stutteres, "I...I di di..." and the manager keeps cutting him off and making a scene (My uncle, however, knew it was all fake). He then says, "JOHN YOU'RE FIRED, PLEASE LEAVE!". So then he goes around, looking all gloomy, head down, shaking every other salesman's hand and takes his belongings and 'leaves'. My uncle walks out there not buying, saying he'll look around and come back later.

The NEXT day, John was right back there in his same ol' place. Just goes to show you the WHOLE dealership was in on the act.

Good post though...I've always wondered about some of the mysterious things that go on.
"To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don't isolate."

Quote:
While we are on the topic of dealerships, is it true you can totally bypass the car dealers and speak with the internet or fleet manager to buy your car near or below Invoice?

thats true, but it was very rare when i saw that happen. its a good idea to walk in to a dealership and ask for a fleet manager. i'll add that to the first post. thanks for reminding me

koc_pg_400x300_2.jpg

"We got dem low prices cuz I Chop'em Chop'em!!!"

King of Cars
Oh you pregnant ma? Word! Thats the truth?/ What? You dont want an abortion!/ Fine we'll get a Rae Carruth

great tips. just in time - i'm looking to buy a new car near the end of this summer.

My dad owns his own dealership, he's prob the most honest dealer :lol:
laugh.gif
He's taken numerous people to the dealers auction and did nothing but help them buy the car for the same price he would of paid & he'd get em real good deals wit hardly, if any money for himself. Can't say I know much about the business though, we don't have a great relationship, but from what I understand the best thing is to go directly to the auctions for the best deal possible.

My aunt is a service manager at an Acura dealership, so whenever im ready, she sets me up with the right people and makes sure they know that im her nephew, getting me the car at basically cost.

But im definetly gonna ask her about some of this funny business next time i see her.

Quote:
Just a general question. How low can they REALLY go? If I'm looking at a car for $25k, how low can they really get?

if youre paying cash, you can go way below the sticker. honestly it all depends on the desk manager and closer and how good/bad the dealerships numbers are for the month. its not really up to the salesman because his job is just to show you the car and get an initial offer. realize that with tax and licensing (in CA) $25k = $27.5k about. with that amount i think you can probably go in the $22k range if you pay cash. monthly is a whole different story.

Quote:
Also, when I was with my dad and my dad was telling them something like, "I want it for 18 out the door" the salesman always went to go "ask his manager" or something like that. Are they really asking the manager, or just pretending?

he's really asking the manager. its the desk manager who decides whether the price is right

Quote:
My uncle also told me a story about when he went to go buy a car. He was negotiating with a salesman and made him an offer, the salesman refused. My uncle then asks if he can go ask the manager for him.

A couple minutes later he brings the manager back with him and the manager asks, "So what kind of price were you asking?" My uncle tells him he wanted it for 18 out the door, but the salesman declined. The manager than says, "You said that John?" (John was the salesman's name) Then John stutteres, "I...I di di..." and the manager keeps cutting him off and making a scene (My uncle, however, knew it was all fake). He then says, "JOHN YOU'RE FIRED, PLEASE LEAVE!". So then he goes around, looking all gloomy, head down, shaking every other salesman's hand and takes his belongings and 'leaves'. My uncle walks out there not buying, saying he'll look around and come back later.

The NEXT day, John was right back there in his same ol' place. Just goes to show you the WHOLE dealership was in on the act.

just a play on the "emotional buyer." your uncle couldve been the type that wouldve been so happy that the saleman was fired and in a better mood to buy a car. just goes to show that your uncle is fortunately not an emotional buyer

Quote:
My aunt is a service manager at an Acura dealership, so whenever im ready, she sets me up with the right people and makes sure they know that im her nephew, getting me the car at basically cost.

But im definetly gonna ask her about some of this funny business next time i see her.

definitely ask her. as grimey as this sounds, i saw a dude rip off his own aunt. i asked him, "why the eff would you do that?" he replied "cuz its a business."

Quote:
My dad owns his own dealership, he's prob the most honest dealer He's taken numerous people to the dealers auction and did nothing but help them buy the car for the same price he would of paid & he'd get em real good deals wit hardly, if any money for himself. Can't say I know much about the business though, we don't have a great relationship, but from what I understand the best thing is to go directly to the auctions for the best deal possible.

when youre on the top of the food chain your hustle is different because you cake at the end of the day anyways. auctions are a good way to go too, but realize youre buying the car as is. it could be a lemon and you have no warranty. if its worth the risk to you, go for it

good stuff, i'll use this in like 5 years when i save up enough to buy my own car lol

Sneakers are not just shoes. they're a kind of art. If it's good art people will stare. So what shoes should i wear next to break some necks?

This may sound ignorant but whats the difference between a fleet manager and a desk manager? Who has control over what price they can sell it at and who should I speak to about final pricing?

Also had another question regarding credit, not sure if you have any knowledge of that. Is there anyway I can get them to only pull my credit once? Can I come in with my own CBR for them to review and only have them re-pull it to verify that my credit is as stated? I dont want to shop around at 5 different dealerships and have 5 inquiries in 1 week. Thanks

Quote:
This may sound ignorant but whats the difference between a fleet manager and a desk manager? Who has control over what price they can sell it at and who should I speak to about final pricing?

desk manager is the guy that calls all the shots at a dealership. he's going to tell the salesman/closer if they can sell the car at your final asking price. the fleet manager is more responsible for the number of cars pushed, online deals, etc. in most cases, the desk manager makes the final decisions but they will only speak to you when the salesman or the closer loses control over the sale

Quote:
Also had another question regarding credit, not sure if you have any knowledge of that. Is there anyway I can get them to only pull my credit once? Can I come in with my own CBR for them to review and only have them re-pull it to verify that my credit is as stated? I dont want to shop around at 5 different dealerships and have 5 inquiries in 1 week. Thanks

bring an updated credit report from equifax or experian into the dealership. some dealerships will give you a copy, but its rare because they dont want you to bring it anywhere else

Back
Top Bottom