Congresswoman issues apology for *repeating* the N-word.

NY congresswoman apologizes for repeating 'N-word'
Advertisement

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- New York Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney apologized Monday for repeating a racial slur when she quoted another person during an interview.

Calling the N-word disgusting, the Democrat said she was relaying a story as it was told to her.

"I apologize for having repeated a word I find disgusting," Maloney said in a written statement. "It's no excuse, but I was so caught up in relaying the story exactly as it was told to me that, in doing so, I repeated a word that should never be repeated."

Maloney is quoted on http://www.cityhallnews.com criticizing Democratic U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, whom Maloney may run against. Maloney says she got a call from someone who used the slur in accusing Gillibrand of backing English-only public education.

"Sen. Gillibrand believes that any use of the word is offensive," said Matt Canter, a spokesman for the senator. "Furthermore, she opposes English-only policies and supports expanding opportunities for immigrants to learn English and thrive in our economy."

Civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton criticized Maloney for using the term.

Maloney issued her apology before Sharpton raised objections. He still said he was disappointed and faulted her for not identifying the caller who originally used the word and for not reprimanding the person when the conversation first took place.

"Is this a delayed disgust?" Sharpton asked.

The civil rights leader has tried to discourage rappers from using the racial slur in their music and performances.
NT, do you think the word is offensive only when used with derogatory intent, or is the word offensive by itself?

laugh.gif
at al sharpton gettin in the mix, as usual.

I'm not sure I have a problem with using it in that context.

I'm not black though, so my opinion doesn't really count.

I am black and I don't have a problem with it in that context. I can't stand when people try to turn everything into a racial issue. It's not thatserious. We are the only race that blows things out of proportion because its racist. That ignorant Arab money song was pretty racist, and I didn't seepeople of Arabic descent on the news crying about it.

I hate contrived "apologies" after phony outrage. Whenever a situation like that occurs, why even make them apologize? I understand damage control,but at least people will be able to see you for what you truly are.

Can any black NTer, hell any NTer, weigh in on this... Why does Al Sharpton have something to say about everything? The guy comes off so unbelievablyself-righteous.

im white. bump al sharpton im sick of people like him just making dumb things issues and getting involved

If Al is not going to say anything then who is?
We so quick to throw him off the boat... but he is the only one standing up to these people.
And what did Al Sharpton do to make people mad any way?

Originally Posted by GTEK

We so quick to throw him off the boat... but he is the only one standing up to these people.
when you say "these people," are you referring to that woman, or people who use the word in a racist manner?

It just seems like every time there is some matter of controversy regarding blacks, no matter how far of a reach it is, Al Sharpton has to put in his two centson the matter. Why does what he say matter? Does he really have that much sway in the black community? I'm genuinely curious because I don't know (notblack.)

Originally Posted by Shapeshiftah

Originally Posted by GTEK

when you say "these people," are you referring to that woman, or people who use the word in a racist manner?

Racist people.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

It just seems like every time there is some matter of controversy regarding blacks, no matter how far of a reach it is, Al Sharpton has to put in his two cents on the matter. Why does what he say matter? Does he really have that much sway in the black community? I'm genuinely curious because I don't know (not black.)
Same reason Bill O Reily gotta put his 2 cents on everything.

IMO we need an Al Sharpton because realistically if not for him alot of things would slide.

At the end of the day we dont have people that will speak for us like Al Sharpton does. Nobody speaks up for injustices but Al Sharpton, you get what im sayin.If not for Al Sharpton I dont think people will say anything about injustices being done to them because their voices will fall on def ears.

He has a highly respected voice no matter how much people hate him

Originally Posted by DB WEST

I am black and I don't have a problem with it in that context. I can't stand when people try to turn everything into a racial issue. It's not that serious. We are the only race that blows things out of proportion because its racist. That ignorant Arab money song was pretty racist, and I didn't see people of Arabic descent on the news crying about it.

agreed with you up until this point. you should really do a race consensus or something before you make statements like this.

Originally Posted by Dakingii

IMO we need an Al Sharpton because realistically if not for him alot of things would slide.

At the end of the day we dont have people that will speak for us like Al Sharpton does. Nobody speaks up for injustices but Al Sharpton, you get what im sayin. If not for Al Sharpton I dont think people will say anything about injustices being done to them because their voices will fall on def ears.

He has a highly respected voice no matter how much people hate him
We don't need Al Sharpton to speak for us, WE need to speak for us. We are always sitting aroundwaiting for the next Martin and Malcolm to come and talk for us, like we don't have a voice. You are the next Martin. I am the next Malcolm. WE are thefuture leaders.

Back
Top Bottom