Consumer Electronics Show 2015 (CES 2015) Jan 6-9

View media item 1336727
http://www.cesweb.org/

Keynote Addresses

Monday, January 5th

B]8:00AM PT: LG[/B]
Every year, LG does the too-early press conference. And every year, it announces All The Things: new TVs, new washing machines, new phones, new everything. We’ve already heard a lot about what LG’s up to (even a few things that were supposed to be a secret), but the press conference is our first chance to see everything up close. Especially the washing machines. This is definitely the year washing machines get awesome.

11:00AM PT: Asus
Asus’ press conferences are always worth watching, even when nothing happens, because CEO Jonney Shih is a maniac. He loves phones, and tablets, and PCs, and basically everything that has a button and a screen. He’s also never one to pull punches about how much better Asus is than its competitors, and he loves having weird ideas about how gadgets should work. Asus always has something new and different to show, and no matter what the company announces this year, the event itself will be a party.

12:00PM PT: Qualcomm
Two years ago, Qualcomm flawlessly executed what remains the most insane press conference of all time. Big Bird was there, along with Maroon 5 and some cars and a lot of people who were trying to make "Born Mobile" a thing. (It’s not going to happen.) Steve Ballmer even showed up! Most of Qualcomm’s actual announcements tend to be of the chip-and-processing-speeds variety, but the event itself is not — I repeat, NOT — to be missed.

2:00PM PT: Samsung
Everything we’re hearing (and seeing, from small jaunts onto the show floor) indicates that Samsung’s focus at CES this year is on the internet of things. After it spent $200 million to acquire SmartThings, we’re expecting to hear a lot from SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson about how Samsung plans to connect every single device in our lives. And, to be sure, Samsung will announce new models of every single device in our lives; we’ll be hearing a lot about 4K TVs, PCs, "seductive TVs," and washing machines with sinks in them. Oh, and yes — Samsung has its own propensity for getting pretty weird at press conferences.

5:00PM PT: Sony
Sony’s CES keynotes tend to flip between straightforward product announcements — "here are 40 new 4K TVs" — and amazing glances at the future of technology. Last year, we got a look at Sony’s long-term plan for Life Space UX, which turns windows into screens and screens into windows; we’re expecting something equally wild from Kaz Hirai when he takes the stage this year.

6:30PM PT: Samsung Keynote
Its announcements out of the way, Samsung’s CES keynote is a chance for the company to talk about the future. Boo-Keun Yoon, Samsung Electronics’ CEO, will certainly have a lot to say about what's next for the company that makes everything.

8:00PM PT: Mercedes-Benz
While we were looking at smartphones and tablets, CES was quietly becoming a car show. That’s why Dieter Zetsche, the Chairman of the Board at Mercedes-Benz, is given prime billing at CES. He’ll be talking about self-driving cars, mostly — but we’re hearing there’s an insane new concept car coming too. We’ll try and steal it, I promise.

Tuesday, January 6th

11:00AM PT: Audi
Audi’s always at the front of car technology, whether it’s connectivity or headlights, and it always has interesting things to say at CES. There will be new cars, there will be lasers headlights, and we’re hearing rumors that there might be a surprise or two as well.

4:30PM PT: Intel
Intel was the surprise event of last year: instead of announcing chips and speeds and specs, the company showed off an always-listening headset, a self-sufficient smartwatch, and a plan to make every device a smart device. Intel may have been late to the mobile revolution, but it proved last year it’s going to stay at the front of whatever’s coming next.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/4/7490537/ces-2015-schedule-best-keynotes-liveblogs

Keynote Livestreams
http://live.cnet.com/#ScheduleEvents

There are other links about as well which I'll post up.

News Hubs
http://www.cnet.com/ces/
http://www.anandtech.com/tag/ces-2015
http://www.engadget.com/ces2015/
http://www.techradar.com/tag/CES 2015

I'm looking forward to LG, Samsung and Sony's offerings especially with the 4K TV but the car manufacturers are also playing a big part these days as well.

What are you guys looking forward to?

Man, I wish G4TV was still on so I could watch their coverage...Such a dame shame to me...on par with cancellation of Arrested Development.

LG G Flex2 is a smaller, curvier Snapdragon 810 beast

View media item 1336870
LG brought out what will certainly be one of the most innovative products at this year's CES, the curved LG G Flex2. It's more compact and more powerful than its predecessor, more curved and heals faster.
Starting off with the display, LG's homemade P-OLED tech has improved over the last year and the new screen has 1080p resolution (up from just 720p). Meanwhile the screen diagonal has shrunken a bit to the more manageable 5.5" (down from 6").

The screen is protected by an LG-developed glass cover that is said to be 20% more durable than Gorilla Glass 3. The back has a special self-healing coating – LG marked a massive improvement by cutting the heal time from 3 minutes to just 10 seconds at room temperature.
The body is a combination of multiple curves ranging from 400mm to 700mm radius. The screen is curved to a 700mm radius, which makes for an "immersive" experience (says LG) and brings the mic closer to your mouth. The back is curved to 650mm so it's easier to handle and fit in the pocket.
Anyway, the LG G Flex2 will be the most powerful device for a while – it will be the first to bring Snapdragon 810 in consumer hands and it only renders at 1080p (no QHD screen here). The phone will launch with Android 5.0 Lollipop and 2GB of RAM. For storage there's 16GB or 32GB, plus a microSD card.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g_flex2_is_smaller_curvier_and_faster-news-10652.php

Only nitpick I can see is 2GB RAM and no QHD but much better than it's predecessor.

Kind of curious about the new Quantum Dot which will surpass OLED, it will be slotted below OLEDs so it'll be more accessible.

Man, I wish G4TV was still on so I could watch their coverage...Such a dame shame to me...on par with cancellation of Arrested Development.

I miss that channel so much during events like these. Their coverage of ComicCon and E3 were awesome. Don't understand why we can't just have one channel like that on tv when there's hundreds of useless channels.

is HTC not doing anything at CES? dont see them on the schedule. rumor was that they were gonna reveal the HTC one M9

I miss that channel so much during events like these. Their coverage of ComicCon and E3 were awesome. Don't understand why we can't just have one channel like that on tv when there's hundreds of useless channels.

It is kind of funny that a "nerd" channel didn't gather enough audience during the height of the "nerd" culture. You would think they'd get higher ratings than before?

Everything is live blogged. Most people can catch that pretty easily without having to be glued to a TV at a certain time.

Everything is live blogged. Most people can catch that pretty easily without having to be glued to a TV at a certain time.

I'd rather watch tv coverage. Much more fun to watch.

ASUS Zenfone 2

View media item 1337192
It's been exactly one year since ASUS launched its ZenFone line of relatively affordable Android phones, and having shipped 8 million units so far, the Taiwanese company is keen to keep the momentum going. The new ZenFone 2 announced today isn't just better-looking, but it's also packed with great specs: 64-bit quad-core Intel processor, 5.5-inch (1080p) IPS display, Gorilla Glass 3, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, fast-charge technology, up to 4GB of RAM, microSD slot, Android 5.0 (with ASUS' pretty ZenUI) and more. Better yet, this dual-SIM LTE phone starts from just $199 unsubsidized when it hits the US in Q2. This is surprisingly aggressive -- even more so than the flagship devices from Xiaomi and OnePlus.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/05/asus-zenfone-2-ces-2015/

The Asus Zenfone 2 is also a seriously affordable smartphone, costing only $199 before taxes. However that price will only by applicable for the 2GB RAM/16GB version. Is it only us or it sounds too good to be true for a 5.5-inch 1080p off-contract phone?

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_announced_the_zenphone_2_and_zenfone_zoom_at_ces_2015-news-10656.php

Those specs for that price :wow:
These companies are getting really aggressive.

LG flexes OLED muscle with 77-inch bendable TV

View media item 1337211
LAS VEGAS -- In 2015, LG will sell curved OLED TVs and it will sell flat OLED TVs. And it will also sell one TV that's both curved and flat.

Known as the 77EG9900 in the US and the 77EG990V in the UK, the 77-inch monster will be the company's highest-end OLED TV announced so far. It was first shown as a smaller concept model at CES last year, but now LG says it will actually be available for sale to the public in 2015.

Pricing and availability were not announced, but we expect it to cost significantly more than the $25,000 price of the company's current, inflexible 77-inch OLED TV.

The flexible screen can go from flat to curved and back again with the press of a button on the remote. Why would you want do to that? Beyond the cool factor, it might be nice to use the more egalitarian flat position when guests arrive, then switch to to curved when you're the sole viewer in the sweet spot -- if you like that sort of thing.

LG really putting a lot of effort with OLED but 25K :x .

View media item 1337339
[h1]A Self-Adjusting Smart Belt: Yes, it's Come to This[/h1]

You can keep your 4K TVs and your autonomous puppy dog drones. The Belty promises to have a greater impact on humanity than even the wheel. It's the world's first smart belt featuring an electric-powered motor built into the buckle that automatically loosens the strap when you sit down, and then tightens the belt again when you stand up to head off any Benny Hill-esque trouser droppings.

bpci64mva3keyigwwxmt.jpg

The creators of the Belty, a company called Emiota, aren't sharing pricing details or an exact release date yet, but they're hopeful the belt and buckle combo will hit the market later this year. Made in France with fancy leathers so it makes an even bigger fashion statement than just having a huge buckle under your belly, the Belty wirelessly connects to a smartphone app so you can teach it your preferred level of tight and loose, but further tweak how far it can expand during dining emergencies.

The Belty is truly smart in that it's able to learn on the fly how far it needs to loosen when you sit down, even after consuming a massive meal, or fasting for a week. You can also specify the limits of how far the buckle can winch itself in, so it doesn't accidentally constrict and cut off your blood circulation from the waist down. And to let you leave your fitness tracker at home, the Belty has an accelerometer too so it can keep tabs on your activity level throughout the day, providing metrics through its app to shame you into eventually not needing to wear a self-adjusting belt.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/01/a-self-adjusting-smart-belt-yes-its-come-to-this/

Self-Adjusting Smart Belt to go with the Air Mags when they drop.
The future is here.

Samsung's high-end TVs get nanocrystals for better color, energy use

Samsung doesn't think your plain old UHD TV will cut it anymore. You know, like the models it debuted last year. Now what's the newest in new? SUHD, with the outfit saying it reserves the "S" designation for its top-tier models we're about to describe. The displays run Tizen and range from 48 inches to 88 inches in size, coming in three different model lines: JS9500, JS9000 and JS8500. Nanocrystal semiconductors are a portion of what sets these apart, with the tech apparently allowing for more accurate colors. The panels offer double the color adjustment points so your calibrator (or perhaps you) can dial the screen in to utmost accuracy and get a better idea of what the filmmaker intended, too.

zui7aktyuwci1clanvzz.gif

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/05/ces2015-samsung-suhd/
http://gizmodo.com/samsung-made-a-105-inch-bendy-uhd-tv-because-why-not-1677581763

These TVs are looking good, not interested in curved TVs but, I do applaud the new technology.

I can't stand these companies using quantum and nano to describe their micro tech. As marketing terms I guess they sound really dynamic.

Wonder who will be the first rapper to brag about nanocrystals in the TV

View media item 1337339
[h1]A Self-Adjusting Smart Belt: Yes, it's Come to This[/h1]

You can keep your 4K TVs and your autonomous puppy dog drones. The Belty promises to have a greater impact on humanity than even the wheel. It's the world's first smart belt featuring an electric-powered motor built into the buckle that automatically loosens the strap when you sit down, and then tightens the belt again when you stand up to head off any Benny Hill-esque trouser droppings.

bpci64mva3keyigwwxmt.jpg

The creators of the Belty, a company called Emiota, aren't sharing pricing details or an exact release date yet, but they're hopeful the belt and buckle combo will hit the market later this year. Made in France with fancy leathers so it makes an even bigger fashion statement than just having a huge buckle under your belly, the Belty wirelessly connects to a smartphone app so you can teach it your preferred level of tight and loose, but further tweak how far it can expand during dining emergencies.

The Belty is truly smart in that it's able to learn on the fly how far it needs to loosen when you sit down, even after consuming a massive meal, or fasting for a week. You can also specify the limits of how far the buckle can winch itself in, so it doesn't accidentally constrict and cut off your blood circulation from the waist down. And to let you leave your fitness tracker at home, the Belty has an accelerometer too so it can keep tabs on your activity level throughout the day, providing metrics through its app to shame you into eventually not needing to wear a self-adjusting belt.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/01/a-self-adjusting-smart-belt-yes-its-come-to-this/

Self-Adjusting Smart Belt to go with the Air Mags when they drop.
The future is here.

great, more dumb ****.

thought this belt would also do some fit bit **** too. Track your step, weight gain, body fat.
Nope. Gotta keep keepin it stupid :smokin :smh:

Last edited:
The company I work for is at the CES all week but I had to stay at the office :smh: def gotta make it there next year.

Back
Top Bottom