Consumers fight against JB Prices?????

Ok cool, but are you buying jays?
haven't in a while but I can still say yes. After Stephon Marbury and his comments plus knowing how messed up this market is, its hard to keep throwing my money at Nike.

If you can't afford the prices then just stop buyin them, nobody is forcing anybody to buy Jordans. Like the people complaining about recent quality, just don't buy them. There are new sneakers coming out every weekend, most people don't buy shoes for 8 months at a time.

Last edited:
If you can't afford the prices then just stop buyin them, nobody is forcing anybody to buy Jordans. Like the people complaining about recent quality, just don't buy them. There are new sneakers coming out every weekend, most people don't buy shoes for 8 months at a time.

Affordability isn't the issue. Most can pay the $200 if they save up but that doesn't mean they can afford the shoe. Jordan's are overpriced and that's the truth. Even if you are wealthy yourself, the majority of people who buy Jordan's can't actually "afford" them. Begging able to pay is not synonymous with "affordability"

Affordability isn't the issue. Most can pay the $200 if they save up but that doesn't mean they can afford the shoe. Jordan's are overpriced and that's the truth. Even if you are wealthy yourself, the majority of people who buy Jordan's can't actually "afford" them. Begging able to pay is not synonymous with "affordability"
I wouldn't say MOST of the people buying them can't afford them, however I don't know peoples personal situations. Like the guy said before, if you can't afford them then don't buy them. No one is forcing you to buy a pair of Jordans. If you want them but can't afford them, then make more money.

If Jordan's were overpriced then people wouldn't buy them. Economics 101. The free market sets the price that consumers are willing to pay. I wish they were cheaper too man but consumers have spoken.

So in class today, my former professor brought up Stephon Marbury and capitalism. Why is it, that people have not boycotted or really spoken out against JB Prices. We all know that if we stopped buying, Nike would be forced to act. After MJ first tried sales dropped for Jordan shore and the first retros were introduced, which sat on shelves forever. What don't people realize that they have a say in this market and we have power that sustains Nike

but where does it end? how about Great Value coffee vs Starbucks?

its easy, vote with your wallet, don't buy.

Seattle's Best Coffee, basically it's Starbucks since Starbucks owns them. As for the shoes it is what it is, no one force us to buy them. If a person doesn't like the price just move on, to something in your price range

I remember reading posts like this 13 years ago on NT when box price was between 110.00 and 125.00 and the highest mark up at that time is current box price now

If you dont like the price and lets all be honest its too high especially for low tops on currenty released jordans in 2015
dont buy simple is that

Last edited:
I would love for the price to be cheaper but for everyone who chooses to not purchase someone else will step up and spend their money.

Consumers are willing to pay the higher prices
Yup

If i could call the shots at JB. I would increase prices even more on the hyped retroes, until resellers think twice about buying full size runs. Word to pinnacle 1s

Last edited:
Yup

If i could call the shots at JB. I would increase prices even more on the hyped retroes, until resellers think twice about buying full size runs. Word to pinnacle 1s
reseller would catch on and prob still buy the shoes. Real resellers have $$$$$$

lol i love the 'economics class' posts

jordan retail will only come down once the resale market is gone, and that requires jordans to stop being cool. that won't happen anytime soon, absent some bill cosby-esque scandal

i agree that these shoes cost probably 10 dollars to make, but the same can be said for most things you buy

lol i love the 'economics class' posts

jordan retail will only come down once the resale market is gone, and that requires jordans to stop being cool. that won't happen anytime soon, absent some bill cosby-esque scandal

i agree that these shoes cost probably 10 dollars to make, but the same can be said for most things you buy
so resale drives the price? I thought it was us playing the retail price even when they raise it every year

It's the hype since late 2011 that mainstream sneaker consumers are willing to pay much for jordan brand shoes. It's really crazy that even the spizikes were sold for 170 bucks and now most retros at 180 and the 11 retro mids for 200 or even more.
Sooner or later when all jordan retros retail at 200 i doubt the mass would still buy them so often.
Me as a core collector i already stopped despite we have some good retros like the aquas 8 etc.
For that money I rather wait for the XXX.

The resell game is what killing you.

The retail price of a jordan is where it should be when you factor in inflation, rising endorsement cost, higher transportation cost, etc. And to be honest, $200 is obtainable if you save your cash even if you are economically disadvantaged.

The problem is that all of the "hot" shoes get snatched up by resellers then are resold for 1.5x, 2x, or even 3-4x the retail price. JP doesn't see that money so you can't really get mad because a pair of XI"s cost $500 now on ebay. What you can get mad about is JP only giving 12 pairs to a store when they can easily produce more.

If jb lowered the prices sales would drop just as fast. Its human nature to associate price with the feeling of getting or being part of something special. Higher prices prey on buyers just as much as marketing does. Being able to buy a pair of $200 shoes and being able to afford them are completely different. Jb will continue to stay just below the price point that sells. I have zero doubt if they lowered prices and flooded the market so everyone that wanted a pair got pair the consumer would lose interest in the product

So in class today, my former professor brought up Stephon Marbury and capitalism. Why is it, that people have not boycotted or really spoken out against JB Prices. We all know that if we stopped buying, Nike would be forced to act. After MJ first tried sales dropped for Jordan shore and the first retros were introduced, which sat on shelves forever. What don't people realize that they have a say in this market and we have power that sustains Nike
If we, as a group, boycotted against JB shoes/products, then yes, prices would come down. But your question is why hasn't this happened? Why haven't we boycotted the products?

As others have mentioned, it's pretty much as simple as demand/supply. You might get 500 or even 5000 willing to boycott the next release, but there will be another 500 or 5000 people willing to buy it at the price set by JB - demand met by supply. 

Maybe it's our own fault that we can't work collectively.

If jb lowered the prices sales would drop just as fast. Its human nature to associate price with the feeling of getting or being part of something special. Higher prices prey on buyers just as much as marketing does. Being able to buy a pair of $200 shoes and being able to afford them are completely different. Jb will continue to stay just below the price point that sells. I have zero doubt if they lowered prices and flooded the market so everyone that wanted a pair got pair the consumer would lose interest in the product
I agree, and I think Marbury overlooks this very important aspect of human nature in his campaign.

A large part of why there is such a huge demand for JB is because it is seen as "exclusive". In addition to having limited numbers, the price itself also makes the product exclusive. Wearing it not only tells others that you were able to get it, but that you were able to afford  it. No one's really going to turn heads that you could afford a $15 pair of shoes, but a $200 pair of shoes is in a different league.

Same applies to other premium brands like LV, Gucci and Hermes. If they started selling their handbags for $2 no one would want it.

This is how I feel about the prices coming from a College student in their Junior year,  if you have a job and work a decent amount of hours (5-10 hours a day) you can afford retail ($190).  The real problem kicks in when the resell market comes into play, charge double or triple the amount of retail.  Last semester I worked hard (school job) and saved up my money to buy the Hare 7s and the Chicago 1s (from March to May).  I had enough money to buy both for retail but the problem came in when I had to buy both on the resell market.  The Hares I struck out for a idiotic reason because I was counting on my cousin to get them for me below retail which never happened so I ended up getting refunded and had to use some of my Chicago 1 money to buy the Hares.  For the Chicago 1 release I had a little left in the bank to get me back to affording them for retail, come release day I wasn't able to secure them and I wasn't prepared for ****sellers charging triple the amount for them so I had to save up a paycheck from my summer job to purchase them.  As for the Bordeaux release I manage to save up a paycheck and a half to afford those for retail.  The moral of the story is that it is possible to buy JB shoes for the retail price if you work hard and save up the money.  If you want them that bad then you work hard to get them.

Dude, its called good will and marketing. It‘s common sense and not a secret.

Back
Top Bottom