Core of Olympic hoops team may return for 2010

Core of '08 hoops team might return in '10
AP

LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and the core of the Olympic basketball champions could be back in USA uniforms next summer for the world championships.

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo met with half the team during the NBA All-Star break and said it's a "distinct possibility" that some of the gold medalists will play in Turkey in 2010.

During the meeting, which also included Dwyane Wade, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Chris Bosh, Colangelo said he wanted only a two-year commitment this time, with those years being 2010 and 2012. If the Americans win the world championships, they would automatically qualify for the London Games and not have to play in '11.

"They said they bought into that, let's do that," Colangelo said. "Now I think it's important, as far as I'm concerned, that's what they indicated then. I think that's really where they are. A lot of things could happen between now and '10, and we just have to play it by ear. I think right now we have the buy-in."

He believes at least some of them will keep that commitment.

"Yes, it's a distinct possibility that most of the core players of our Olympic team would represent us in Turkey," Colangelo told The Associated Press.

Colangelo added he is giving coach Mike Krzyzewski time to decide if he wants to return and expects to have a coach in place in the fall. New York Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, a U.S. assistant the last three years, is a leading candidate if Krzyzewski doesn't return.

Either way, the Americans plan to be ready for the world championships by holding a minicamp this summer for 24 young players who could be candidates for the team. Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose, the last two rookies of the year, along with likely No. 1 draft pick Blake Griffin from Oklahoma have accepted invitations.

Greg Oden and O.J. Mayo are among the 19 commitments Colangelo has received for the July 22-25 camp in Las Vegas, which will culminate with a blue-white exhibition game. Toronto Raptors coach Jay Triano will direct the camp, joined by assistant coaches Dave Cowens of Detroit, Utah's Tyrone Corbin, Kenny Gattison of New Orleans and Minnesota's Jerry Sichting.

The plan is to have a team capable of ending the Americans' run of futility in the world championships. The United States finished third in 2006 and hasn't won gold in the worlds since 1994. Colangelo believes the Americans would show more respect to other countries by taking the event -- bigger to some internationally than the Olympics -- more seriously than they have in the past.

"The rest of the world, the basketball world, looks at the world championships differently. In other words, they put a lot of emphasis on it, and it's important to show respect there, also," Colangelo said. "Our showing in the world championships in the last decade has not been very good, and so this is a chance to further show that respect by putting a lot of emphasis into it."

pimp.gif
Loving it.

I wish they would just stick with the younger kids now. Kobe too old to be out there wastin mileage on this stuff. He got his gold, he should let guys likeMayo, or Roy or whoever else take over now.

I know it's good to have a couple vets out there like what Kidd did, but still, the odometer only has so much.

See what happens I guess.
smh.gif

I wish they would just stick with the younger kids now. Kobe too old to be out there wastin mileage on this stuff. He got his gold, he should let guys like Mayo, or Roy or whoever else take over now.
Word

Kobe needs to stay at home. No more international comp

Great to have Kobe still in it, its the only time I can actually root for him.

Get Kidd, Prince, Boozer, and Redd outta there.

Replace them with Rose, Durant, a big guy, and Mayo
pimp.gif

I hope they still keep Melo. Or that Melo wants to go. He's such a mismatch playing that 4 with Lebron at the 3.

Whether it be Kobe/Kidd/whoever, I still think it's good to have a few of the "vets" on the Olympic team. But the fact that alot of these guysare willing to go again is great news...

I'd prefer to have a guy like Kobe over some young kid... guys like Kobe and Dwade led the way last time with their attitude, first and foremost.

Originally Posted by Two One Supreme

paul
kobe
bron
melo
dwight

d will
dwade
roy
durant
aldridge

granger
mayo

I highly doubt Kobe will play in 2012. He'll be turning 34 that summer. Gotta rest up and preserve the legs at some point.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

I'd prefer to have a guy like Kobe over some young kid... guys like Kobe and Dwade led the way last time with their attitude, first and foremost.
yehh kobe can bring that j.kidd type of leadership to guys like prob durant and oj mayo

Originally Posted by CP1708

I wish they would just stick with the younger kids now. Kobe too old to be out there wastin mileage on this stuff. He got his gold, he should let guys like Mayo, or Roy or whoever else take over now.

I know it's good to have a couple vets out there like what Kidd did, but still, the odometer only has so much.

smh.gif
co-sign

aren't a lot of those guys slated to be free agents in 2010?

and i agree about world championships > olympics.

more games, better comp, more prestige in the eyes of the world.

Originally Posted by Mateen Cleaves

Originally Posted by CP1708

smh.gif
co-sign

If they do that, they won't win.

Other countries are too good, and play too well together for us to not put the very best players we have on the team.

^
laugh.gif
it cracks me up that Jay Triano is part of USA basketball

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

^
laugh.gif
it cracks me up that Jay Triano is part of USA basketball

Word I swear we have a national team too
indifferent.gif
How the hell is aCanadian coaching their traning camp

Back
Top Bottom