Could Drizzy have done it without a major deal?

OKAY OKAY I know enough with the Drake talk. But in you guys opinion. Do you think Drake had to be signed to a major label to become a big artists. I think he could've done it all alone. I don't see the need for a label deal especially him being with Young Money, besides probably distribution and join forces with Weezys fan base. I honestly think either way hes good. But when I heard him say YOUNG MONEYYY at the beginning of his new single it almost made me mad because its almost like hes just following the trends instead of creating his own lane from ground up, which seems to be the only way an artists can make it now-a-days w/o a big co-sign. I woulda been happy as hell if he said Octobers Very Own, or whatever his stamp would be. I know he wouldn't be raking in as much as he would with the labels but damn he could have a cool as income with shows, merchandise and CD sales.

But on the other side on don't think of it as such a whack thing when I compare him to Kanye in his early Roca-fella days. You know, obviously an artists has pop appeal but doesn't exactly fit in to their label. Using the label to launch themselves into their own world. Maybe after his 3rd album Drake will be just as big as Weezy and have his own label like Ye's has good music. I think majority of people forget Ye' is still on Roca-fellas roster.
(sidenote: Ye' and Jadakiss are labelmates lol)

He is doing it on his own he just signed a distribution deal hes pretty much still doing it on his own.

IMO he DID do it without a major deal.

I wasn't aware YM garnered that type of attention like other majors.

Originally Posted by Calmatic

But when I heard him say YOUNG MONEYYY at the beginning of his new single it almost made me mad 
Really?

Iknow he wouldn't be raking in as much as he would with the labels butdamn he could have a cool as income with shows, merchandise and CDsales.
Understatement.

It's cool to say that when you ain't in the person's shoes but I bet you the difference is substantial between the scenarios...remember, he had ALL the leverage when he was being pursued by the labels and was/is being handled by people who know what the @#@# they're doing.

Plus it's not like he's really on a "record deal" per se...everything is to his advantage.

Ithink he could've done it all alone. I don't see the need for a labeldeal especially him being with Young Money, besides probablydistribution and join forces with Weezys fan base.

its almost like hes just following the trends instead of creating hisown lane from ground up, which seems to be the only way an artists canmake it now-a-days w/o a big co-sign.
He could have done it alone up to a certain point...and then he hits a ceiling. You're underestimating the hell out of the Weezy co-sign. That +@+% put him on the map with the teeny boppers and mainstream America. Let's face it, a bunch of these new artists NEED that co-sign from someone established if they wanna join their ranks and become household names. Drake wasn't gonna do all that alone. You gotta give people a reason to give a @#@# about you. For a lot of folks, their fav. artist telling them "yeah, I @#@# with this other guy...listen to him" is enough to get 'em to jump on.

Besides, look at where Young Money is now..."hottest" group/label and Drake's a big part of that. He's done it right almost every step of the way, IMO. 

He kind of did. Either way, I'm sure his team (his management is TOP NOTCH) made the decision they felt was best for them.

I highly doubt we have enough information to make the informed decison they did.

And as much as I might think I know, I'm not gonna front like I know more than those cats.

Back
Top Bottom