Could Jordan owning the Bobcats save Jordan Brand??!?!>@I*$(#!?

I'm sorry, I've never owned a basketball franchise or created a sneaker industry, but I'm assuming there's not enough time in a day to try and do both. With Jordan being the majority owner of the Bobcats, I can only assume that the bobcats are his priority and Jordan Brand will be taking a backseat. Sorry for spitting in the face of those JB heads that ride Jordan hard, but I personally think he's the one holding the cards and using the rest as scapegoats. Could this ownership allow someone else to have a bigger role in JB and perhaps save the brand? I was always a JB head, but this is the first year I've currently bought more Nike's (Kobe/Bron/KD/Penny/etc) than Jordan's because I'm tired of the crap they feed us. Just food for thought and I'm ready for the insults so if you think this is stupid, please don't hesistate.

I don't think its going to make very much difference. Its not like Jordan has a problem selling clothes and shoes to people, but that doesn't have any bearing on how many tickets he sells for his team unless he starts putting season passes in boxes of Jordan's

You make a good point...but he is involved with the heat dropping this yr! Maybe that's his swan song. I don't think his focus will be that much changed. He still will delegate to those in place in both organizations.

I was wondering if he would change the name....the current one is the imprint of Bob Johnson.

Jordan Brand is doing great financially...what Jordan does professionally outside the brand doesn't matter...Jordan Brand has 85% of the basketball sneaker category on lock! They had their biggest yr financially in 2009...$1 Billion in sales revenue...Nike hit the same mark 23 years ago...Jordan Brand owns 10% of the total sneaker market...twice as much as Adidas...Jordan B rand is doing great in a bad economy!

JB is struggling? Since when?

JB will be fine. They could announce they will be using top notch materials, lower prices and people would feel inclined to check them out.

Plus look at the shoes releasing this year and next year? Flint Gray's, White/Red 13, All-Star/Playoff 13, Cool Grey 11, Bordeaux 7 and White/Cement 3. The Cool Gray's will be talked about maybe more than the Space Jams. The Flints should sell out within days or a few weeks. The other 13s should do well and the 7&3 have been long awaited. So I think they will be more than fine. Plus the clothes will sell that matches these releases.

Also think about what has yet to release in the past few years? Columbia 11, Concord 11, Sport Blue 6, Cement 4s (White and Black) and a slew of other shoes that will generate interest. Just put D-Wade, Melo and the others in a commercial rocking any of those I mention and watch what happens.

Good thread.

things are going 2 get better cause the team not making the money so shoes will b the truth.....

Originally Posted by nikehead214

I can only assume that the bobcats are his priority and Jordan Brand will be taking a backseat

The Bobcats will be as much a priority of his as JB is ... And you know what that means.Attaq

I think he's talking about bringing the brand back to where the quality was nothing to gripe about.
I'm sure he wasn't talking about the brand from an executive perspective, but from a consumer perspective.
And to answer the question: I don't think it will change the face of JB (Sadly).
Mike will still be pulling triggers, but the difference will be that the majority of ideas will come from another source.
More Gentry maybe????Hope not. Only time will tell

Personally, I don't think things are going to change substantially due to this business acquisition by Mike.  The bottom line is that the materials that they are using on the majority of their releases are now the mainstay for JB and it would take a sea change in the way they and the entire shoe industry approaches analyzing their profits and share of the market. 

It's trite and commonplace, but the old adage applies: "They just don't make 'em like they used to."

I just really hope they step it up with these retros they are dropping late this year and early next year.  There is so much heat and many kicks people consider "grails" and have a special place in their hearts for.  I know I do for the White/Cement III's and I remember being slightly disappointed with the '03 retro quality when I had them, so hopefully they won't dip behind that much with this release, or maybe, just maybe, they will step it up with such an iconic shoe (Playoff XIII's as well).

Originally Posted by RaptorNation

I think he's talking about bringing the brand back to where the quality was nothing to gripe about.
I'm sure he wasn't talking about the brand from an executive perspective, but from a consumer perspective.
And to answer the question: I don't think it will change the face of JB (Sadly).
Mike will still be pulling triggers, but the difference will be that the majority of ideas will come from another source.
More Gentry maybe????Hope not. Only time will tell

Yes, I was talking about this and also just the ideas of colorways that come out that aren't retros. I spent a crapload on the CDP as I'm sure everyone did, and I was upset as how the quality just was piss poor. This past year, my trigger finger was itchy to buy something, but I couldn't find anything that was worth it so I just copped the Space Jams. 1 jordan pair in a year is very odd for me. So far I see myself doing the same thing especially with all these Kobe and Lebron colorways coming out. IMO, Lebron and  Kobe have surpass Jordan in the consistency of dropping a hot cw. Now dyas I see people rocking J's like the varsity red 6's or any color 1's and kinda laugh at them because they bought such a crappy shoe.

I don't see them as being that related honestly. Jordan as a company has a huge infrastructure, requiring nothing from MJ on a day to day basis; With the cats, he'll be involved heavily and will have a say in daily operations.

I think both entities will prosper though (the brand continuing, and the bobcats after we make the playoffs
pimp.gif
). The one interesting thing though is how aspects of MJs life work their way into JB product even in the present day.

aka I can't wait to see those colors

Originally Posted by stevesteve72

Originally Posted by keepEmclean23

him owning the bobcats has NOTHING to do with brand jordan and NOTHING will change

This^^
im serious i mean now that MJ is sitting in Bob Johnsons chair you think the first thing hes going to do is sit down and say maybe i should stop making fusions and maybe use better quality material on retros lets be serious he should focus on keeping the bobcats playoff contenders and actually get people to attend there games this topics is silly the bobcats and the brand have nothing in common other than mj owning both of them

Originally Posted by AB Doom

Jordan Brand is doing great financially...what Jordan does professionally outside the brand doesn't matter...Jordan Brand has 85% of the basketball sneaker category on lock! They had their biggest yr financially in 2009...$1 Billion in sales revenue...Nike hit the same mark 23 years ago...Jordan Brand owns 10% of the total sneaker market...twice as much as Adidas...Jordan B rand is doing great in a bad economy!
Revenue and profit are 2 different things.  Deduct the cost of materials , production, R&D, advertising, endorsements, etc, and see what the actual PROFITS are that JB is left with.  2009 may have been their biggest year in revenues, but they also put out a LOT of product (possibly more than any other year with the onslaught of useless non-signature/retro shoes).  That has to be factored into how much of that billion is actually profit/if it exceeds the years past.

Originally Posted by keepEmclean23

him owning the bobcats has NOTHING to do with brand jordan and NOTHING will change.
Correct.  Remember, despite being the man who calls the shots/has the final say on what does, and doesn't get produced, MJ has VERY, VERY little to do with JB on a day to day basis.  I remember reading that they were lucky if they got MJ to show up for 2 big meetings a year for Nike/JB, so JB has hardly been a "priority" for MJ up till this point.  So what would change about that now by owning the Bobcats?  It's just another opportunity for MJ to PRETEND he knows how to make executive decisions when it comes to putting a championship team together (and another responsibility he's going to get bored of/too lazy to focus on), but I predict another Wizards like debacle.  The man is a phenomenal basketball player (the greatest ever IMO), but PLAYING the game is about the only aspect of the sport he ever excelled at.

Back
Top Bottom