Couple chose to pray over child with pneumonia instead of seeking medical attention, child dies

PHILADELPHIA - May 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia couple who believe in faith healing over medicine and who were on probation in their son's pneumonia death were charged with murder Wednesday after a second young child died under what a prosecutor called "eerily similar" circumstances.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible ignored a court order to seek medical care if their children needed it, prosecutors said Wednesday. The requirement was a condition of the probation sentence they received after the death of their toddler son four years ago.

First Assistant District Attorney Ed McCann says the Schaibles are entitled to their religious beliefs - until it endangers their children.

"How many kids have to die before it becomes extreme indifference to human life?" McCann said in announcing the charges. "They killed one kid already."
Link to the rest of the article:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9112454

The couple was already on probation for refusing medical attention which caused the death of one of their other children. Crazy
mean.gif

Sticky situation. They were court ordered though. I don't see them getting out of some sort of penalty for this.

I feel like they are more crazy than religious. Like, theres nothing wrong with going to the doctors and also praying.

Considering this country's stance on religion, I wonder how the courts will view this. "in God we trust" is the motto.

feel bad for the kid and his potential life he could have had.

as for the parents, waste of skin, brain cells, energy, air to be living with that mentality.

I feel like they are more crazy than religious. Like, theres nothing wrong with going to the doctors and also praying.
Yeah most overly religious people would still take their child to the doctor, then pray the doctor can find a solution

I hate this ******* story. Your kid didn't sign up for your beliefs...take him to the damn hospital. They should have known after the FIRST KID DIED that that **** doesn't work. ******* disgusting.

I respect whatever beliefs somebody wants to have for themselves until it starts directly hurting other people. These parents should be jailed and sterilized.

god needed him more than we did. You should be happy for him that god needed him and jealous that he didn't call on you. After all, he's in a better place now.

Man made machines that keep people alive and save them from death go against god's will..

People have the nerve to keep family/loved ones on life support and then when they die, say:

"He's in a better place now"  

Well why the hell were you trying to keep him here?!

"god must have needed him more than we did"

Well why in the hell were you stopping god from taking him?!?! He needed him 2 days ago!!

And what if medical attention saves his life? god was trying to take him and you stopped him. Isn't a sin to go against god?

Tsk tsk tsk

Get ready
devil.gif

eek.gif

This is the same people from last time?
Yeah it is. That **** is insane that they were even allowed to keep another kid after that. Anything that discourages you from using basic logic in favor of hoping things will automagically improve somehow is irresponsible and harmful. How members of what is purported to be the most intelligent species on the planet buy into **** like this ****** CONFOUNDS me.

Last edited:
I saw a thread/article like this a couple months ago.

There was like 10 instances where the parents prayed for their kids instead of getting them medical attention.

I think every single time the parents got locked up.

Back
Top Bottom