Covid-19 Essential Workers Check-in Thread

for those of us deemed essential, post your title/ occupation

do you get hazard pay?

whats the commute like? (Cali, ATL highways?)

whats the mood at the gig?

are you salty you arent at home or glad to be working?

a guy i work with is extra heated about us working. came in last week speaking French saying WE shouldnt be here.

ive been in the military, worked for FEMA, and off shore oil rigs, i like working support jobs. dude talking to the wrong person with that one.

another cat told me he’s jealous of his girl because she gets to stay home.

anyway, IT support for Blue Cross Blue Shield

what say you?

OP don't make it seem like your homie out of pocket for saying he'd rather be home. I'm in NYC and I damn sure wish I was home with what we're facing over here.

I'm a therapist in a hospital in Brooklyn. Commute is like 1 hr going and coming on our public train/bus system. No hazard pay. Job is pretty chill for me right now because there's really no therapy to provide right now. Priority is keeping these patient's alive for the medical team. 30 people died at my hospital over the weekend including a clerk who had asthma. 48 years old, 2 kids. Damn shame.

Shoutout to all my 1199'ers in here.

OP don't make it seem like your homie out of pocket for saying he'd rather be home. I'm in NYC and I damn sure wish I was home with what we're facing over here.

love.

he’s not saying HE should be at home
he’s saying WE should be at home
thats what makes it outta pocket because at any given moment he can tell management he dont feel comfortable.....and take HIS *** to the house

nah, he too busy grabbing pitchforks trying to rally up allies

he probably just scared. either way, just go home.

IT support for somewhere in HHS

so yea things are pretty hectic over here with the virus.

luckily I work from home 🏡

I work for a liquor and wine distributor. We are considered essential. However, I only call on bars and restaurants (and hotels), so I literally can't do my job. I'm pitching in to help on the retail side, which is doing gangbusters in sales. Their sales are higher than a typical November/December. It's like a second holiday season, combined with, like, Memorial Day and 4th of July. It's insane.

I get a nice financial boost by helping out in retail that will make up some lost commission/bonus dollars over the next couple of months. I honestly can't complain.

My other option is to sit at home and do nothing (and get paid less), but I'm not wired that way.

Work in utilities for the city.

1)We don't get hazard pay.
2)Commute has been the greatest it's ever been.
3)The mood has gotten very serious.. especially these last 2 weeks. They've sent a lot of ppl to go WFH. I'm part of the "essential group" that works outside in residential and commercial neighborhoods. They've been upping the precautions almost every other day. In our main building someone tested positive for COVID19. Luckily I don't work there.

My manager was nice to allow me to use my PTO to stay home though. I go back out there next week.

Still working - tech & financial

As of tomorrow morning we will be working shift hours to limit the amount of people in the building at one time.

Im thankful im still employed and glad im working and not sitting around staring at the ceiling. Mood in the office really hasnt changed other than random discussions here n there about what the shelves in stores look like.

Doing everything possible limit contact with any surface/person possible outside of my house and my cube

i’m an admin at a large residential drug treatment facility. with no traffic it takes me 10 minutes to get to work. it’s been a real challenge to keep morale of the staff and clients from falling into the abyss. i’ve had to get real creative. tomorrow, instead of regular program services, we’re having a song contest. the winner gets a pizza party for their group. every participant will get a prize though.

my wife is at home with the baby and 1st grader. she’s working on her masters, doing work for her job, while taking care of the baby and helping my son do his schoolwork and classes via zoom. we both have it rough.

DPH for City and County of SF.

Commute has been amazing. 25 minutes from Richmond to SF.

Everything has actually been slower since this whole thing started. Not as much non emergency injuries/sickness coming through the EMERGENCY Dept. Almost all appointments cancelled in favor of telephone appointments.

That said, still shortstaffed. Put up +100 hours last week.

I'm more of an extension of an essential service (medication assisted treatment facility) work in finance for our clinics

Only started working from home this past week once Inslee called in the stay at home order last week but going into the office felt pretty safe since it was only a handful of us and we stayed isolated from one another and kept common areas disinfected daily

Our clinics as chaotic as they can be normally have been even more crazy but alot of transitioning to telehealth communication for patients and staggering dosing times seems to be doing some help.

I still worry if the virus ever hit our homeless population hard here and how easily it could affect our patients and my peers who directly work with them.

Definitely feel blessed to be able to have the option to be home where alot of folks I know are out there in the streets trying to get ppl clothes, food, housing, medical treatment, ect.

Work at a hospital in northern la county as an RN. So far hasn’t been too bad as my floor is a post-op floor and doesn’t deal with any isolation patients. Haven’t had to float to other floors yet that have positive patients yet cause im a fairly new grad. Ill have to eventually and it scares the ish out of me. As all other hospitals, we low on PPE. They’re telling us to use the same surgical mask for a week as long as it doesn’t get soiled smh. Lot less patients on my floor nowadays as everyone staying away from the hospital unless they really need to be there. I usually have 5 patients every shift, last Saturday i only had 3 patients. 6 patients on the whole floor total!

Machine operator at my local utility company
No hazard pay
About 40 minutes one way.....never any traffic
Mood hasn’t been too great.....rumors of a quarantine has been running pretty rampant with 14 days in a row on then another group coming in where our group would the be off 14 days all paid accordingly....the money would be damn good but I’m not trying to be at my power plant 14 days in a row.....and the wife ain’t trying to hear anything about me being gone that kind of time lol... I’m prepared for it....it is what it is🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
Work in the hospital
Had if not THE first case
One of the first cases
Knew about the virus in the state
A week before they told the public
Was right next to a coworker who got the call
About the person who got it
And where they travelled
And what company they work for
They had that person quarantined
And didn’t tell the public

Im a network administrator for DoD still got to support these deployed soldiers the war aint been quarantined.

they still got us going into work since some of the work i do cant be done at home. They got all the workers sitting a couple desk apart even tho we all still in the same office.

commute has been mad easy no cars on the road where im at.

glad to still be working but at the same time it sucks because im at risk and still putting my fam at risk when i get home

1. RN - at big bay area hospital
2. No hazard pay
3. No traffic and great parking has been silver lining
4. We're taking a lot of precautions, have dedicated COVID floors/units.
5. Glad to be working, just signed up for California health corps in case it comes to disaster situation

Respiratory Therapist checking in, 15 years in the hospital that welcomed the first confirmed case in NY some weeks ago, since then a lot of my coworkers have been quarantined, one of our nurses is fighting for her life in ICU vented, I’m being asked to work 7 days a week, 16 hour shifts due to our shortage and a workload of about 50 ventilators spread out through out the hospital....hanging by a thread here..

Respiratory Therapist checking in, 15 years in the hospital that welcomed the first confirmed case in NY some weeks ago, since then a lot of my coworkers have been quarantined, one of our nurses is fighting for her life in ICU vented, I’m being asked to work 7 days a week, 16 hour shifts due to our shortage and a workload of about 50 ventilators spread out through out the hospital....hanging by a thread here..
That workload they’re asking is insane

1. RN - at big bay area hospital
2. No hazard pay
3. No traffic and great parking has been silver lining
4. We're taking a lot of precautions, have dedicated COVID floors/units.
5. Glad to be working, just signed up for California health corps in case it comes to disaster situation
At ur hospital they don’t already mandate u a disaster worker???
I know mine does
And yeah me and a few coworkers
We’re looking through our labor contract
Tryna see if there’s anything about hazard pay :lol:
Which city u in???

How’s ur fam doing
I know it’s been hard for u
to prolly check on ur older fam
In person

Man stay safe bro. I hope you and your girl go on a nice vacation when this is all over with.

Things starting to change at my job. I may change shifts with more hours

Back
Top Bottom