Craiglist -- Confirms "Erotic Services" Shutdown

xcellziscrack

Banned
[h1]Craigslist Confirms 'Erotic Services' Shutdown[/h1]

discuss_icon.gif
Total posts: 1

by Chloe Albanesius

Craigslist on Wednesday confirmed that it will jettison its "Erotic Services" section in favor of a new, monitored "Adult Services" section.

"As of today for all U.S. Craigslist sites, postings to the 'erotic services' category will no longer be accepted, and in 7 days the category will be removed," the company wrote in a blog post.

All posts made to the new adult section will be reviewed by Craigslist staff before being placed live on the site. Each ad will cost $10, and cannot be edited once it is accepted. Craigslist will soon allow users to re-post the same ad for $5.

The Erotic Services section made headlines recently after a man was arrested for allegedly murdering a girl he encountered on Craigslist. The news prompted several attorneys general to call for Craigslist to alter or completely remove Erotic Services because it promoted prostitution and put users in danger.

While Craigslist has agreed to remove the section, the company reiterated that its site is not a haven for criminal and violent activity.

"Unsurprisingly, but completely contrary to some of the sensationalistic journalism we've seen these past few weeks, the record is clear that use of Craigslist classifieds is associated with far lower rates of violent crime than print classifieds, let alone rates of violent crime pertaining to American society as a whole," according to the blog post.

The move instead strikes a "new balance" between the AGs, law enforcement, and the site that Craigslist believes "will be an acceptable compromise from the perspective of these constituencies, and for the diverse U.S. communities that value and rely upon Craigslist."

Craigslist donated 100 percent of the net revenue from Erotic Services to charity, but "in light of today's changes, and to avoid any future misunderstanding, we are making no representation regarding how revenue from the 'adult services' category will be used," the company concluded.

Attorney General Madigan said she was encouraged by the change.

"It's clear to everyone that Craigslist's erotic services section was nothing more than an Internet brothel," she said. "I'm encouraged that Craigslist has agreed to fundamentally change how they operate and monitor their site. The steps they're taking are the only effective way to prevent the exploitation of women and children."

Missouri AG Chris Koster also praised the move.

"While no solution is likely to be perfect given the nature of prostitution, Craigslist's response is a step in the right direction," Koster said in a statement. "Nonetheless, we will continue to closely monitor the site to make certain craigslist's proposals are effective."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347037,00.asp

indifferent.gif

tired.gif

Truth be told I peaked in that section ever so often....see what I could possibly get for a few dollars...never pulled the trigger though
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by drsfinest72

lol who looks for broads on craigslist?
laugh.gif
I know a lot of people that have.

I don't see how it's any different than MySpace/Facebook.

People have been meeting through Craigslist well before MySpace and Facebook ever got popular.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

laugh.gif

People I have been meeting through Craigslist well before MySpace and Facebook ever got popular.

fixed

laugh.gif

People have been meeting through Craigslist well before MySpace and Facebook ever got popular.
i mean its in a whole different category. its similar that you get to meet up or whatever. but craigslist is more like a "booty call" or" pay me & ill show you a good time " while myspace/ facebook is more of a social networking site.

laugh.gif

Word to Casual Encounters.

laugh.gif

I occasionally checked out "erotic services" in my area to see if I'd find someone I knew.

Never did.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

laugh.gif

I occasionally checked out "erotic services" in my area to see if I'd find someone I knew.

Never did.
smh.gif
actually saw someone i knew back in hs, its crazy, cause shes a smart girl and all and college grad. her prices were outrageous
i see how she traded in a geo for a lexus,
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SylvesterMcGrizzly

use to breeze thru there when i was bored for a good laugh...
laugh.gif
some of the #*+* posted in there was OD
smh.gif
Yea i know what you mean. How is it exploitation of woman when they themselves allow it to be put up or post it up themselves... thats ridiculous.

laugh.gif

i mean its in a whole different category. its similar that you get to meet up or whatever. but craigslist is more like a "booty call" or " pay me & ill show you a good time " while myspace/ facebook is more of a social networking site.
i agree

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

laugh.gif

Never did.
smh.gif

*Ding* *Ding* I did.

Back
Top Bottom