Craziest/most hyped Jordan OG releases?

There are a lot of young people here so they won't remember but a few said it: The Cool Grey XI release. Nothing OG actually caused craze like that though. That release was nuts; the only thing that couldve possibly followed was the Concords in 2011. BUt 01 was worse lol.

There are a lot of young people here so they won't remember but a few said it: The Cool Grey XI release. Nothing OG actually caused craze like that though. That release was nuts; the only thing that couldve possibly followed was the Concords in 2011. BUt 01 was worse lol.
A lot went into that release.

1. You had to skip school
2. No online orders
3. 11’s first couple re release
4. 125 price tag :/

A lot went into that release.

1. You had to skip school
2. No online orders
3. 11’s first couple re release
4. 125 price tag :/

You had to line up, first grey XI, people got wind of XI releases, and the XI is like the goat but at that time.. having an XI was like game worn shoes from Jesus Christ fresh off the Baptism floor lol. Dudes lost their minds during that release.

Oh and not to mention employees would eat and if they sold out of your size back then, you would have to try to run down the block seeing if a store had a pair left or chase stores in the whole city. You either got them or you didn't.

I live in the Houston area. Not sure all of these are OG but these are craziest releases I remember:
-2001 & 2010 Cool Grey 11s
-2006 Air Jordan 5 Grape
-2006 Air Jordan DMP 6/11
-2011 Air Jordan Concord 11
-2000 & 2009 Air Jordan Space Jam 11

You had to line up, first grey XI, people got wind of XI releases, and the XI is like the goat but at that time.. having an XI was like game worn shoes from Jesus Christ fresh off the Baptism floor lol. Dudes lost their minds during that release.

Oh and not to mention employees would eat and if they sold out of your size back then, you would have to try to run down the block seeing if a store had a pair left or chase stores in the whole city. You either got them or you didn't.
Oh yes to all of this. PLUS we still were under the impression that some shoes may NEVER release again and if you did not have these on the day of or next day you didn’t matter anymore. None of that “break then out next next next year” BS

Yeah, next year would be a new shoe. They didn't release shoes 5 times in a month like they do now. So you had to watch everyone wear those beauties in sheer pain for a solid 3-4 months minimum lol. I remember being in pain even though I was so broke I didn't even try :lol:

The XI was the last Jordan to me that still had a bit of meaning behind it. I havent been as deep into Jordans as some of you here but I remember the Space Jams being such an iconic shoe. There was one guy in my town I knew with them and it was like damn, hes got the Space Jams, hes doing it. LOL

The Concords, Black/Red and Cool Grey as well. I use to be so fond of the XI and I put it right at the top of my shoe list, now I couldnt really care less.

The Grape 5 2013 release was a big one too, not crazy like the XI and Galaxies but a huge release with a lot of attention.

Yeah, next year would be a new shoe. They didn't release shoes 5 times in a month like they do now. So you had to watch everyone wear those beauties in sheer pain for a solid 3-4 months minimum lol. I remember being in pain even though I was so broke I didn't even try :lol:
Man you were bum status without them :lol:
Not to mention resale wasn’t really a thing. People bought the shoes a dogged them in every way possible. Outdoor ball, long on foot mission to do nothing with the boys. Resale became so high because pairs were beat to death

Yea I remember those days. Was so much “easier” to be a collector back then. It’s impossible for me to keep up these days. Makes missing out on shoes so much easier to accept now.
Even at my peak I never considered what I had a collection becuase I used all of them. I don’t have a t shirt collection or jeans collection. IMO back then nobody (generally speaking) was collecting becuase months later the pairs were worn to the ground. Just my take

Even at my peak I never considered what I had a collection becuase I used all of them. I don’t have a t shirt collection or jeans collection. IMO back then nobody (generally speaking) was collecting becuase months later the pairs were worn to the ground. Just my take
I wore my shoes too but I wanted all of the colors so I could have the complete set.

Think of it like this:
I was a comic collector when I was young. I would go to 7/11 and buy the X-men every month and wanted the whole series when an event went down. I collected them, yes. Did I use/read them? YEEEEEESSSSS!!!!

Same goes for shoes for me.

Same here, then made the most ignorant mistake of my life selling my whole collection. Thinking I was done with shoes, only to be back in full effect...

Same here, then made the most ignorant mistake of my life selling my whole collection. Thinking I was done with shoes, only to be back in full effect...
Man with the ability to buy whatever you want orettt much whenever you want and the fact that everything retros imo a collection isn’t worth having unless you enjoy looking at the boxes.

Ha! At selling the collection thinking you were done lol. I sold a bunch of stuff at one point but not a whole collection and felt stupid realizing I'm just THAT into kicks that it won't simply stop and end.

Man with the ability to buy whatever you want orettt much whenever you want and the fact that everything retros imo a collection isn’t worth having unless you enjoy looking at the boxes.

Still wish I'd kept some of if my OG's sentimental for me, used to love skipping Wednesdays to go cop the new J's. Not to brag but I had some heat too.

Still wish I'd kept some of if my OG's sentimental for me, used to love skipping Wednesdays to go cop the new J's. Not to brag but I had some heat too.
Believe me man I feel you. Gotta think too those OG’s will start to fall apart at some point. Needing a retro is a must eventually

Believe me man I feel you. Gotta think too those OG’s will start to fall apart at some point. Needing a retro is a must eventually

True, but the quality of the originals was so much better, now it's just cheap materials and poor quality control. Just wish I'd kept my OG Bred11's most of all kept them on ice for years and they held up so well. I did get a pretty penny for them though. Also the first pair of Jordan's I had to scour the city in search of.

Air Jordan 11 thread in disguise
Not really. They went crazy over bred 16s at my local mall too. They raised the mall gate up at Champs and rushed the counter. Employess left it half way open. That whole 2000 and 2001 year of releases were just insane!!! Good times though. And all of them have been retroed except for bred 16s too!

In Toronto, 2001 cool grey were tame. It sat for months. People were into af1 back then. 2010 sold out, but it wasn’t bad. Stores had a preorder system so most people got a pair if they wanted. 2011 is when the crap hit the ceiling with the concords. Most foot lockers sold theirs on preorder so when release date came there were crazy campouts at stores that didn’t do preorders.

2013 blk/red 1s had people sleeping outside in -20 Celsius whether. I drove 2 hours to lineup at a small town which only had six pairs and it started from sz 10 and up. Two guys were in front of me, they said there was one more guy there but I said bs, he hasn’t been here for two hours but w/e. Around 1am the other guy shows up with a girl, and come opening time this girl somehow ended being in line ahead of me. And my friend got too drunk at the bar across the street and had an ambulance called... he was okay

The begining of lifestyle brand I’m jordan

Black/Carolina 5

First two spiZikes

Grape 5

I camped out for the first two and then I realized I couldn’t camp for shoes. Found myself a plug through out those years and then once the “LS” went away, my plug was no more :frown:

Nike sb, is another story lol

Back
Top Bottom