Creating Websites and Blogs Vol. HELP ME NT!!!

aight NT, im coming to you for help this time...my friend just recently put me on to his hustle which is creating websites...he told me that flash websites iswhere the good dough is but he's to lazy/contempt in what he's doing to learn...so i figured if i started learning right now i should be good bymid-summer to start creating and making some extra dough...but i have absolutly no idea where to start...im a pretty fast learner and have taught myselfPhotoshop in and out (w/ the help of some books and YouTube tutorials) and plan on doing the same with this...does anybody here know anything about developingwebsites??? a little help please

I made a few hundred off of photoshop(Before all mixtape covers looked nice) and flash a few summers ago
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I wish i wouldve kept at it
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Elocin023

Dreamweaver is an easy program to make websites.

have you ever used Adobe Flash??? i was hearing a little about both of them and want to know which would aid me better

No, I haven't used Adobe Flash but seeing how Dreamweaver is now associated with Adobe I am sure they may have similar features and be somewhat the same.Not sure though. I just know I have used Dreamweaver on more than one occasion and find it to be pretty easy to work with...especially if you have no previousknowledge of making websites.

web development consists of:

-web programming knowledge
-web design knowledge
-business knowledge

If you are either one of the above, you can hire the other 2 departments and form a profitable company.

To get large budget projects you must rank on the top of the list under Google for popular search phrases. Search Engine Optimization services (SEO) can dothat though.

GL.

Originally Posted by eddie

so how exactly do u guys make money? how do u get request for sites?

from what my friend told me, you have to build a website for your "portfolio"(maybe start out with a website for your own web building business) thenhit up craigslist, yahoo groups, ads in newspapers, ect...start with low rates and as you build your portfolio start charging more

It's funny how the web design industry was labeled to be a "female career" not too long ago.

Originally Posted by airboy23

It's funny how the web design industry was labeled to be a "female career" not too long ago.
I've never ever heard anything like that. Web-design was considered a
nerd.gif
career by most but never a female career. Whoever said or bought into that was acomplete idiot and deserves a super
indifferent.gif

Neither Flash or Dreamweaver are easy to use in my opinion, both have pretty streamlined layouts but it takes a while to learn the ins and outs and develop adecent workflow. To be honest i think you should focus more on actionscript for flash, designing is the easy part... coding is where it can get tedious but youshould develop a pretty good workflow if you stick to one style of website. Outside of AS mastering the timeline in flash goes along way, if your halfwaycompetent with PS,IL or FW your okay on the design area just get the ins and outs of the timeline down.

Originally Posted by airboy23

web development consists of:

-web programming knowledge
-web design knowledge
-business knowledge

If you are either one of the above, you can hire the other 2 departments and form a profitable company.

To get large budget projects you must rank on the top of the list under Google for popular search phrases. Search Engine Optimization services (SEO) can do that though.

GL.
are you in the business???

Wow I have never heard of it being a "female" career. I always pictured dudes that spent months at a time dressed like Mario and Luigi having battlesover Browser on the weekends the kind of people that did web-design. Now, it's a booming career!

i think i might get into this. gotta re-download photoshop now EDIT- BTW you should look up the differences of these programs on youtube, or check out thereviews of them.

Learn PHP while the social networking wave is still on it's high.

Put it like this, hired a web designer off eBay and he was willing to make me a 5-10 page site with graphics, css, flash banners if I wanted it, just a basicnice looking site for like 79$ (you can bid on web design services on eBay). I mention I want just a framework to start a social networking, we're all of asudden at 2,000$ and I haven't even finished explaining the idea to him.

do we have any people here with a lot of flash experience? i'm also interested in learning this.

flash can be very difficult to learn on your own, you either need a great text book or someone to teach it to you because there's way too much going on.

don't even compare it to photoshop. photoshop is just putting a word or initial graphic and then rendering effects all over it until you get something thatlooks cool. flash requires actionscript (as said above) and extremely good design skills and a lot of time. flash is no joke. plus flash sites are wayoverrated, you can't even see them on cell phones.

I have some experience with flash and a lot with dreamweaver (I taught it), you can get the hang of DW but there's also a lot behind getting a websiteright. knowing W3C standards and using CSS. it's not like the old days, now you need to make sure the site works with all three major browsers (or four),cell phones and if it's a business site it better work with screen readers...just as Target they lost a Title VII lawsuit over failing to make theirwebsite accessible to blind people. web design isn't a weekend hobby anymore, serious websites require serious web designers, stick to making fan pages forlocal bands and rappers.

and second on PHP, that's one of the more profitable languages right now.

Learning flash can be an asset, but Flash designed sites are actually not an industry standard and nothing close to professional. If you're a rapper orathlete with a personal page that's about the only time Flash sites are ok, but the reality is like someone said you should probably hit up PHP. There aremany downsides to flash sites, but sites with flash elements are usually the best fit.

Anyway, you should look into taking a local community class somewhere. $200-$300 you can learn a lot. Also, you can sell your services on scriptlance.com orcraigslist.

I think most avy makers that do not use Ulead on NT have the basic knowledge to become very skilled in flash....
I dont own the program right now but i know the basics
Flash+Dreamweaver+Photoshop= Money

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Learn PHP while the social networking wave is still on it's high.

Put it like this, hired a web designer off eBay and he was willing to make me a 5-10 page site with graphics, css, flash banners if I wanted it, just a basic nice looking site for like 79$ (you can bid on web design services on eBay). I mention I want just a framework to start a social networking, we're all of a sudden at 2,000$ and I haven't even finished explaining the idea to him.
I agree... PHP is THE language to learn right now..
server side scripting in general is essential to web design fundamentals...
i learned html + css rather quickly, and im in the process of learning PHP and its definitely a monster.. eff Flash sites. go for php

every company is always looking for a great Flash developer (AS3) or Php developer.

its very hard to find developers. good ones, that is.

Back
Top Bottom