Cutting Your Own Hair Thread 2016 (Post tips, and tricks)

I know that there are a few popular haircut threads going right now, but I thought that I'd try something new, and hopefully inspire a few others in the process. Some of you may be vets at cutting your own hair, some of you may be on the ledge, and just need that nudge to try it. Me? I've been doing it on and off for the last two years, but I would say this has to be the longest point of my life of not going to see a barber (since Labor Day). I'm much better than what I was, but I'm still learning how to fade 100%.

Popular hair-cutting threads on NT right now:

Barber Tools Discussion:
http://niketalk.com/t/514651/post-y...ners-barber-tools-discussion-questions/480_20

Black Guy Hair-cuts:
http://niketalk.com/t/337672/black-guy-hair-cuts/0_20

Modern Men Hair-cuts:
http://niketalk.com/t/596451/modern-men-haircuts/0_20

Tyga's Guide to Hair Growth:
http://niketalk.com/t/637054/bruh-tyga-hair-gains-vol-jamie-would-be-proud/0_20

#Beardgang:
http://niketalk.com/t/570752/post-your-beard-vol-beardgang/0_20

Feel free to post any of your own cuts, tips, etc.

If you feel this thread is redundant, Mods can delete...

Someone who is on the ledge... For those who do cut their own hair, what kind of stuff did you buy to get started? I'm tired of razor bumps, but I don't want to go to the barbershop every time I want a smooth shave. I figure if I'm going to invest in a decent trimmer, I might as well go all the way and get a set of clippers for haircuts too.

Can someone who has been doing it a while share what they purchased to get started, maybe some oils/lotions that helped with shaving bumps, and tips/tricks for the first few times?

Someone who is on the ledge... For those who do cut their own hair, what kind of stuff did you buy to get started? I'm tired of razor bumps, but I don't want to go to the barbershop every time I want a smooth shave. I figure if I'm going to invest in a decent trimmer, I might as well go all the way and get a set of clippers for haircuts too.

Can someone who has been doing it a while share what they purchased to get started, maybe some oils/lotions that helped with shaving bumps, and tips/tricks for the first few times?

What are you doing wrong that you have to go to the barbershop to get a smooth shave, bruh? You going against the grain?

Anyways...I trust my barber 100% w/ my hair, but I don't let him touch my beard. Just my preference to do it myself. To trim it down, I have some Wahl clippers that I bought from Target a few years back. I usually let it grow for 3 weeks (shape it up frequently), then trim. Rinse/repeat....

No, don't go against the grain. I tried doing that to see if it would help, but it just made it worse. I've tried:

- Gilette Fusion
- Mach 3
- Several Electric Shave/Trim sets
- Disposable Razors

All of em result in bumps or irritation. I asked my dad and he told me that he always shaves in the shower and just uses black soap. That helped a lot, but its tough to style in the shower with no mirror so I usually just shave it all off to avoid the headache.

There has to be a middle ground somewhere, famb.

yeah yeah

Get a mirror for the shower. Makes shaving way easier & actually enjoyable.

I recently bought one from Target that also has an attachment to hang your razor.

Regarding the type of razor you should use, I'd say try out a safety razor. Mine is coming in the mail today & I bought it after doing some research because my neck gets irritated from using those disposable joints. They're supposed to be less irritating since it's only one blade swiping against your face as opposed to 3 (e.g. the Mach 3).

I've also ordered African black soap recently as well & plan to use that as my shaving cream (in addition to as my face/body wash).

Make sure it's AUTHENTIC ABS though because most likely the stuff you see in your local Target is fake. I posted about this in the men's hygiene thread recently... check it out for more info regarding this topic.

Last edited:
No, don't go against the grain. I tried doing that to see if it would help, but it just made it worse. I've tried:

- Gilette Fusion
- Mach 3
- Disposable Razors

All of em result in bumps or irritation. I asked my dad and he told me that he always shaves in the shower and just uses black soap. That helped a lot, but its tough to style in the shower with no mirror so I usually just shave it all off to avoid the headache.

The black guy hair thread changed my life when they told me to shave with Andis T-Outliners (zero-gapped) instead of razors. Haven't had a razor bump in over 2 years. Wahl 5 star shaver also gets good reviews in there, but I haven't tried them out myself yet

- Gilette Fusion
- Mach 3
- Disposable Razors

I've been using sensor excel razors since HS.

You should look into Tend Skin. I think it really helps cut down on ingrowns. Also, shaving in the shower isn't a bad idea. The steam will help open the pores of your skin. This is why when folks shave, it's always a good idea (if you're not in the shower) to put a hot towel on your face before/after.

Back
Top Bottom