Cutting your own hair tips vol. I'm done paying for this $$%% !

I'm looking at the Andis PhatMaster or Andis Master Clippers right now. I see a deal on them about 50% off. I'm done with barber shops! I been onYoutube watching videos and reading tutorials and I think I can handle it. I'm black by the way, so take that into account. None of those cheap ones thatbreak at the mere site of Negroid hair. Most of those buy from Wal Mart sets can't even take cutting my facial hair without breaking.

Also, potentially stupid question but if I get one of these Andis made for grooming horses, and sheep, it should handle people hair no problem, right?

Post any other good tips, links, and info too. Right now I'm on www.cutblackhair.com but she totally neglected edgeups and it's very apparent

The Wahl joints from Wal-Mart work good for me
pimp.gif

Cutting your own hair isnt hard at all...edging up is though...I suggest you cop a 3-sided mirror

ain't you mixed though fam? You got that good hair. I'm black, like African black, damn near purple, and it's reflected in my grade of hair

I just bought the Andis Speedmaster from Amazon for about $40, and it works pretty well. I've been cutting my hair for about 3 years now. Also, you shouldinvest in the Andis Outliner/T-Outliner; it makes a huge difference. Good luck.

edit: I'm black, 'cause that matters.

how are you planning on cutting your hair?

fade, baldy?

get an Oster if you're worried about the Wahl breaking on you...although I think a Wahl is more than good enough for home use.

the Oster is a professional clipper.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

ain't you mixed though fam? You got that good hair. I'm black, like African black, damn near purple, and it's reflected in my grade of hair
laugh.gif
naw son I pretty much fit that description too...My hairsoft because of my waves though

Even on the site you posted they said
First off, if you like your money in your pocket, ignore all ethnic pandering from manufacturers. A "black" hair clipper is not meaningfully (if at all) different from a regular clipper! Hair clippers are just machines that move one set of sharpened toothed blades, against another set of sharpened toothed blades. Period! So save your money and get the regular clipper set
image-2459209-10357065
!!
You should be able to get a decent set for a good price and just get a Andis for lineups

just expect to mess up the first few times, no matter how many videos you watch. and if you mess up your lining/edge up DO NOT try to fix it because most ofthe time youll make it worse. if its just a little off live with it and dont make it worse.

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

laugh.gif
naw son I pretty much fit that description too...My hair soft because of my waves though

Even on the site you posted they said
First off, if you like your money in your pocket, ignore all ethnic pandering from manufacturers. A "black" hair clipper is not meaningfully (if at all) different from a regular clipper! Hair clippers are just machines that move one set of sharpened toothed blades, against another set of sharpened toothed blades. Period! So save your money and get the regular clipper set
image-2459209-10357065
!!
You should be able to get a decent set for a good price and just get a Andis for lineups

But look at her finished product. I got an Andis T Outliner, piece of @!#! broke. Matter of fact I've been meaning to call them to see if they'llreplace it.

And Dirty, I'm trying to do like a wave length Caesar, would like too fade around the sireburns and taper the back, the normal young black dude look.

Man I just hope you know what your doing...When I was back in high school, my boy cut his own hair
smh.gif

Couldn't recognize it from far away, as I got closer
eek.gif
roll.gif

the top was light and the back was dark with patches...
laugh.gif

After that day of getting flammed he never tried to cut his own hair again.

But look at her finished product.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yeah I didnt even see that. Jesus
laugh.gif

Damn if an Andis is breaking on you.....Do you do any preparation before cutting the facial to soften it? cutting against/towards the grain?

Hot water and use some type of shaving cream, usually another one of the Ethnic pandering brands

You might want to ask your former barbers what they use for your facial hair and like Dirty advised the Oster...Those are going to be expensive though

I'm the opposite. My line ups are too ill. I dont line myself anymore, but I still line friends/family up.

When it comes to cutting my own hair, jesus. no matter how many times I try, i cant get rid of the choppy effect. One side always looks decent, but the otherside comes out choppy. smh

just copped this . every Urban shop I've ever been to swears by Andis for the brotha's cuts. 126$msrp, copped for 50$ off the ebay and it should behere just in time for me to fix up this mess old lady did today
clipper056.jpg

Get the right guard(s) speed o guides are great get a mirror so you can see the back of your head . Get a Clipper with adjustable side lever like the andismaster , wahl 5 star , oster fast feed . Start with the guard on with the lever pulled all the way back its better to cut off too little hair than too much soyou can adjust it from there .The first 2-3 times you cut it you might not like it cause its new to you especially lining yourself up it takes a while to getit right the arches and such there should be a video on youtube about blade adjustment , it makes a big difference on the shapness of the cut . Check outBarbertips.com lots of good stuff on there

The master's are good, i wouldnt have recommended the phatmasters they seem pointless to me.
& it was better you copped the masters because they have a magnetic motor where as the cheaper clippers or osters have either rotary or something else andhaving tried all 3 the magnetic motors work best and have the fastest cutting strokes.

I wouldnt really know why your t-outliner broke down on you mine is still running fine with the original blades and i've been cutting for about 4 years

im a barber btw

Originally Posted by solesavage

I'm the opposite. My line ups are too ill. I dont line myself anymore, but I still line friends/family up.

When it comes to cutting my own hair, jesus. no matter how many times I try, i cant get rid of the choppy effect. One side always looks decent, but the other side comes out choppy. smh
QFT

the left side will be
pimp.gif

while the right side will be
sick.gif

Post Pics when u cut it the first time no bull im actually interested in seeing how this turns out

I've been cutting my hair since i was about 15. I'm 33 now. I use the Wahl Super Taper and the No. 1 guard for my taper. You should start by cuttingyour hair all the same length and practicing your edge ups. My lining clippers are wahl trimmers too. I put a T-Blade on them and thats it. Practice is keyfam. Iverson - We talking bout PRACTICE!?!? - Iverson

Seriously, I swear by the Super Taper. It's reasonably priced and the motor will last a long time. I'm itching to try other clippers, but can'tbring myself to drop 100+ on some Oster Turbos. I'll have to bookmark this thread and post pics when I cut my hair again. Also, take your time on youredge. You want to even it, NOT push it back if you can help it. I'm no professional, by any means, but i've been at this for a long time. I still cutmy dad's hair (taper 3 to a 1 on the sides/back), and a few of my friends. PM me if you have any questions. I'll do my best to tell you what I'ddo. Real talk.

I'd also suggest cutting your hair in the same direction that you brush it until you get your confidence up. It will keep it a bit longer, but you'llbe able to correct any mistakes a lot easier and with less tragedy. I keep a No 1. all over, tapered to 0 at the neck. Sometimes I'll get the urge to startover and cut it against the grain to get it really short, it all depends on my mood. But seriously, cut with the grain till you get used to cutting. Also, youdon't have to use a 3 sided mirror. I use my bathroom mirror and a hand mirror. To do the back, I'll sit on the bathroom counter and use the handmirror to see all the angles. You'll understand more once you try it.

My dad had some con airs... So My little brother been cutting my hair with those... Good for the meantime... Now I just need the Outliner, which my barber alsorecommended the andis... Then later on get new clippers... How do you blend for a Tape Up??? Is there a certain clipper or what?

I used to cut my own hair for a while I still do it sometimes but only with the same guard all around I can't fade cutting myself but op there are a fewvids on youtube that will help you to cut by yourself but I'm not sure if I can post them here

never cut against the grain... I always use guards and this is my set.
the black one on the far right doesn't get used b/c of it's poor quality

1zv3ejq.jpg

Back
Top Bottom