"Dairy Cliff": Milk prices may double in New Year

ice cream 
frown.gif

If this happens I'm ***** slapping anyone who argued with me about the US rapidly becoming a "3rd" world country.

Not quite sure I follow the article...Won't this all be a moot point if the price of milk doesn't drop enough (to the point where farmers request for the gov to buy their milk b/c the price floor has been reached)? If the price of milk is indeed destined to drop significantly, what would be the reason?

It works like this: In order to keep dairy farmers in businesses, the government agrees to buy milk and other products if the price gets too low. The current agriculture bill has a formula that means the government steps in if the price of milk were to drop by roughly half from its current national average of about $3.65 a gallon.

Problem is, the current bill expired last summer, and Congress had been unable to agree on a new one. Several protections for farmers have already expired, and several more are set to do so over the next few months. One of them is the dairy subsidy, which expires January 1.

But instead of leaving farmers entirely out in the cold, the law states that if a new bill isn't passed or the current one extended, the formula for calculating the price the government pays for dairy products reverts back to a 1949 statute. Under that formula, the government would be forced to buy milk at twice today's price -- driving up the cost for everyone.

Did you two even read the article
laugh.gif
yes. If the government doesn't buy the milk the price goes up. If the price goes up Americans (who at the moment are strapped for cash) won't be able to afford a basic staple such a milk similar to people in "3rd" world countries. Couple that with other degenerations of the US in the past 10 yrs and yes things aren't looking too different.

dont care for milk, dont drink it

with dairy going up that means yogurt and cheese too im guessing.

the only time we use milk is when my mom makes her own cheese, since she uses a lot of milk. thats sucks :x

Dem protein powder prices will be outta control :smh:

def forgot about that :x

glad i got a lot on deck but still, prices rose like crazy the past few years. this would make it hard on a lot of people. imagine paying $80 for 5lb.... :smh:

A lot of dairy farms in California have shut down because the farmers claim that the current price the government pays for milk is too low when compared to the production/feed costs.

yes. If the government doesn't buy the milk the price goes up. If the price goes up Americans (who at the moment are strapped for cash) won't be able to afford a basic staple such a milk similar to people in "3rd" world countries. Couple that with other degenerations of the US in the past 10 yrs and yes things aren't looking too different.

:rofl: where is this from?

Haagen dazs going up in price? :x

I cant afford to live in nyc anymore between milk, mta, tolls and gas going up. the hell man.:smh:

Other alternatives to milk will rise as well, although not as much as milk.

1500 and running.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom