Dallas just lost to Oklahoma City by 9.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by franchise3

Let's face it.

The Devin Harris deal was a bad move, ie, nail in the coffin.
I haven't given up on this team because I'm a true homer and I won't admit defeat.
laugh.gif

But seriously, in concept, the Kidd deal wasn't a terribly bad idea. Dirk has been great since we got Kidd, and you'd expect that he'd make players like Howard and Bass to excel with Kidd, but... they didn't.

Cuban basically thought that Kidd would push the Mavs over the top, and while it wasn't terribly a bad idea per se, still, you just can't be tradingaway a young blue chip prospect like Devin Harris away like that. Especially considering the aging pieces on that Mavs team. Kidd is one of the all timegreats and all, but a lot of people knew once the trade went down, that Kidd wasn't that much of an upgrade over Devin. To make matters worse, theyincluded Diop in the deal, and his absence showed. Enough so for Cuban to come back and overpay and resign him in the offseason. Fortunately, he duped MJinto taking him on though.

With all that said though, I still wouldn't want to face a Mavs team in the first round. They just need Jet back to maybe make some noise come playofftime.

Diop did not help once-soever for the Mavericks this year. I don't know if he's a one-hit defensive wonder, but he was too damn clumsy.

If we had a legitimate Center, we would be a problem.

Problem is, our best Center is a serviceable bench player.

We only have 2 guys capable of constantly putting up 20 a night, which is terribly sad. I was saying earlier, we could score with our 06 teams and hope tooutscore the other teams if our defense was terrible. Now, our defense is terrible, and our offensive-depth is non-existent, which is ironic because ouroffense is what made us popular in the late 90's, early 2000s.

The Kidd deal didn't work... It was a risk, I don't think anybody would deny that... They took a shot... They weren't gonna win with Devin Harriseither, so let's not act like they just completely shot themselves in the foot and blew it making that trade... They were gonna have to do something atsome point to shake things up anyways... Did they wait too long to do it? Maybe, but fact is they weren't winning as they were constructed, they had to dosomething...

Trading away the two first-round picks hurts more than losing Devin Harris...

I don't see why Cuban didn't send Josh away to another team. I don't care if we would have gotten VC, Richard Jefferson, Corey Frickin Maggette,anybody is better than Josh, it's not like he was great before the deadline, him, Bass, and Stackhouse should have gotten us a nice piece.

If we end up with this same team next year and sign Kidd to a long-term big money contract, then I'll lose hope. Until then, it's just a struggle. Idefinitely want to see some moves this off-season though. Keep JET and Dirk, anyone else you can off. JET could be our Manu Ginobili, if we just had asecondary scorer that wasn't a SG in a PG's body.

It was a risk, and eventually Cuban would have to shake things up, but the thing is, you don't take that risk, and you don't have to go and search fora PG once Kidd's contract is up.

Devin in a Mavs uniform and the PG position is etched in stone for quite awhile.

Instead of building around Dirk + Devin, now they're left with just building around Dirk.

Kidd has said several times he's enjoying his time in Dallas, and would like to retire here.

if that's the case, some major rehauling needs to be done.

Resigning Kidd is a lost cause, IMO.

Trade him/let his number come off to get more pieces to help Dirk.

That had to be a big draw as well in trading for Kidd.

To use his big number that's about to be up to reload.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Kidd has said several times he's enjoying his time in Dallas, and would like to retire here.

if that's the case, some major rehauling needs to be done.
If Kidd is gonna be here, he'll have to take a SERIOUS pay cut... I can't imagine he's about to get paid to stay here... I get thefeeling he was brought here in the same fashion Allen Iverson was brought to Detroit... If it works, great. If not, he's a huge expiring contract to movearound or let come off the books and speed up the rebuilding process...

And the reason they didn't dump Josh is because he's still an extremely valuable asset that people were trying to steal away because of all the stuffthat happened in the last 6 months or a year... Wouldn't surprise me at all if he plays better down the stretch of the season here and gets traded...
It was a risk, and eventually Cuban would have to shake things up, but the thing is, you don't take that risk, and you don't have to go and search for a PG once Kidd's contract is up.

Devin in a Mavs uniform and the PG position is etched in stone for quite awhile.

Instead of building around Dirk + Devin, now they're left with just building around Dirk.
But what had Devin shown you in Dallas that led you to believe he was capable of doing what he does now? He wasn't ever gonna be that here...He wasn't ever assertive in Dallas... The offense wasn't ever gonna run through him... He's a shoot first PG that was playing alongside scoringoriented players in Dirk, Terry, and Josh... It just wasn't a great fit... They chose to keep Howard over Harris... Again, it is what it is... But they hadto do something... They weren't building for the future at that point. They wanted to win now...

And for what it's worth, I still don't think he's as good as his New Jersey production indicates... He's throwing up bloated numbers on acrappy team...

Originally Posted by franchise3

Resigning Kidd is a lost cause, IMO.

Trade him/let his number come off to get more pieces to help Dirk.

That had to be a big draw as well in trading for Kidd.

To use his big number that's about to be up to reload.
I don't want to tank a year, because our 2010 pick is going to NJN, and as much as I like them now that Devin is there, they've gottenenough from us.

I really do see Kidd re-signing here... BUT. I'd love to see a S+T worked out between PHO and DAL where we either obtain Nash+Barnes, or Shaq. A lot ofpeople speculate Kidd will get around 9 million a year, which is fairly reasonable I suppose.

I'm reminiscing, shoot me.

As much as I'd hate seeing Baron here, I think having a legitimate Center on our team might be worth a try. The huge downside is his ugly contract.

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Dirk didn't play with a superstar, what about Finley and Nash?
They were superstars?
grin.gif
laugh.gif
I must have missed it...

Nash was an above-average point guard in Dallas... Nothing more, nothing less... He wasn't elite by any stretch...

And Finley made what, one all-star game in his career?

"Dirk is clearly an elite player, but he is still very vaginal at times, and really he is not elite like that MVP trophy he has deems."

/THREAD

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

If Jason Terry is your second best player, you ain't winning *#@$... This team sucks... Dirk still hasn't ever played with another legitimate superstar... He's still been carrying this team on his back since 2000, and they still haven't put the talent next to him to win a championship... You don't win championships without two legitimate all-stars... Point blank, that's it... I don't have to make excuses for him...
first, that Josh Howard thing has me
roll.gif
every time because Icall it every time when I'm watching the games with my dudes and all I get is "Josh is nice man stop hating on him".

but i dont think Terry is the second best player. kidd is the second best player (yes even in his old demise) but it has yet to be shown because of how wellhe isnt meshing with the team. honestly, when i heard kidd was going to dallas, my eyes lit up because i figured you were gonna have a bunch of piecesfollowing his lead and he was gonna just play D and average a million assits and make the team exciting offensively and decent defensively. i figured dirk,jet, josh, were all going to offensively benefit from kidd being there. it seems like the one one who has really realized they will be better giving the ballup is Jet. i still see Dirk grabbing boards and not giving up the ball. same for howard obviously.

if you remember there was a lot of talk about Kidd's teammates letting him get boards in Jersey and there was a reason. because they knew the sooner hehad the ball in his hands in transition, the quicker/more efficiently he could put somebody in scoring position.

but end of the day, the +*@! is clearly not working and doesnt look like it will after a year, so they took the L...not ultimately b/c of devin, but b/c of thepicks and all that.

Finely was NEVER a superstar.

Nash wasn't a Superstar in Dallas.

At the end of the day, Kidd makes two people better:

Dirk and Dampier.

But Dampier is still terrible.

They were superstars?
grin.gif
laugh.gif
I must have missed it...

Nash was an above-average point guard in Dallas... Nothing more, nothing less... He wasn't elite by any stretch...

Now your making excuses for dude. That team was stacked talent wise.

They were superstars?
grin.gif
laugh.gif
I must have missed it...

Now your making excuses for dude. That team was stacked talent wise.

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

^
laugh.gif
not to cheerlead, but Nash/Finley were not superstars any way you slice it broseph
laugh.gif
Thank you... Calling either one of them superstars whilethey were in Dallas is fringe ******ed...

The Thunder are really rubbing onto me, I just wish they were the Oklahoma Outlaws. They are way better than what their record shows. They have lost 15 gamesby less than 4

points. With another great pick (Grffin or Thabeet) they have a very bright future.

Back
Top Bottom