Dallas Mavericks 2015-2016 Season Thread

New Maverick Chandler Parsons takes offense to how Rockets treated him during free agency

Marc J. Spears By Marc J. Spears

LAS VEGAS – Chandler Parsons was "offended" when the Houston Rockets went searching in free agency for a third star in LeBron James, Chris Bosh or Carmelo Anthony instead of sticking with him. Now the former Rockets forward is ecstatic to be a third star with the Dallas Mavericks, and a lot richer, too.

"Honestly, I was offended by the whole process," Parsons told Yahoo Sports on Monday in a phone interview. "They publicly said that they were going out looking for a third star when I thought they had one right in front of them. I guess that's just how they viewed me as a player. I don't think I've scratched the surface of where I can be as a player and I think I'm ready for that role.

"You can't knock them for always trying to get better. [Houston general manager] Daryl Morey is very aggressive, is a genius, a great GM and I have nothing but respect for those guys. And they are looking to make their team better. That's what they were doing. I just thought I could be that guy that could do that."

Parsons averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and four assists with the Rockets last season as the third scorer behind James Harden and Dwight Howard. Quietly, Parsons was hoping for a bigger role offensively. The Rockets gave Parsons an opportunity to explore free agency as a restricted free agent by opting out of the final year of his deal that would've paid him $964,750.

The Rockets went after marquee players like James, Anthony, and Bosh when free agency began. While the Mavericks were interested in Anthony, too, they quickly convinced Parsons to agree to a three-year, $46 million offer sheet with a third-year player option and a 15 percent trade kicker, a source said. Parsons signed the offer sheet on the first day free agents were able to on July 10 in his hometown of Orlando with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban by his side.

"They really showed how much they cared for me," Parsons said. "They didn't want me to wait for Bosh. They didn't want me to wait for 'Melo. They came forward first."

"We knew based on the numbers they were going to have to make some tough choices," Cuban said before the Mavericks' summer league game on Monday.

James left the Miami Heat to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Anthony and Bosh stayed with the Knicks and Heat respectively. The Rockets, through a sign-and-trade deal, agreed to terms with free-agent small forward Trevor Ariza for three years and $32 million. And on Sunday, the Rockets decided that Parsons' contract was too expensive and didn't match.

"Throughout the whole process they pretty much told me they were going to match everything," Parsons said. "I understand it's a business. I understand they had to do what they thought was best for their organization. It definitely caught me off-guard a little bit."

Parsons said he is close with Cuban, loves Dallas and added that he believes he can compete with a championship in Dallas with Dirk Nowitzki and Monta Ellis.

"Dallas is the perfect match to where I am in my career," Parsons said. "It's where I can take that next step. They have a great organization. Mark is the best owner in all of sports. I get a chance to play with Dirk for however much longer he has. It will be unbelievable to learn and grown from him and the guys they have.

"We got a chance to win. Coach [Rick] Carlisle is the best coach in the NBA. It's the perfect situation for me. I'm ready for more leadership. I'm ready for a bigger role. They came at me with a high max offer and viewed me as a franchise player. That's what I wanted."

Parsons played a strong role in convincing Howard to sign as a free agent with the Rockets last summer. They could be free agents in 2016. And if things go well in Dallas, don't be surprised if Parsons tries to convince Howard to join him.

"I'm the best recruiter in the NBA," Parsons said. "Whatever Mark and the Mavericks need, they got me to do that."

He was viewed as one of the NBA's most underpaid players, but under his new deal he will earn a raise of over $14 million next season. Parsons is scheduled to be in Dallas on Tuesday to take a physical and sign paperwork.

Despite feeling slighted by the Rockets, Parsons said he has "nothing but respect" for his former club after playing his first three NBA seasons in Houston. He also said he will remain close with his ex-teammates, Houston coach Kevin McHale and assistant coach J.B. Bickerstaff.

"They gave me my first opportunity,” Parsons said. "They believed in me. They drafted me. I have nothing but love and respect for them. They will have a special place in my heart. The fans were unbelievable and I hope they have no hard feelings. I had to do what is best for my career. "

I really liked Chandler Parsons before, I LOVE HIM now. Those are the right words to say when coming to a new team!

A S&T with Blair would net us a small trade exception, correct?

And there is no way in hell Phoenix trades Bledsoe or Dragic for Felton/Wright.. If they would, we should've had it done by now.
laugh.gif
Yup... Cuban said they are still open to Blair coming back though (if money is right after the FA hooplah plays out).

Surprising that no one has real interest in Shawn Marion... dude can still play. Would love him to come back if the price is right (over Mo Will)....

What do yall think about aaron brooks or jameer nelson? Could be good cheap signings...

If we could find a way to bring Shawn back, we would be in a great, great spot... Mike Miller would be awesome too, but he's gonna go ride LeBron's jock.

Imagine closing games with Monta, Parsons, Marion, Dirk, Tyson...

I'd rather have Jameer than Mo, but I doubt we can do it.

Yup... Cuban said they are still open to Blair coming back though (if money is right after the FA hooplah plays out).

Surprising that no one has real interest in Shawn Marion... dude can still play. Would love him to come back if the price is right (over Mo Will)....

What do yall think about aaron brooks or jameer nelson? Could be good cheap signings...
I wouldn't mind bringing both back. Blair at another year here would qualify for Early Bird Rights, which may be an incentive to re-sign for the min, or close to it.
Dirk Nowitzki re-signs with Mavs for just 3 years and $25 mil.
Does this lead the way for a Matrix return? Or maybe a Boozer amnesty bid?

Dirk a top 15 talent... is making the same amount of money this year as Channing Frye. Let that sink in...

What a great dude.... And I think Mavs will make bid for Boozer, would be a great bench player. Blair and Parsons have the same agent so it could happen, especially with the Wiz signing Humphries now.

Heat, Bulls, LA and Memphis interested in Matrix now.

Matrix on the Bulls 
nthat.gif

Rejecting max offers from Lakers and Rockets. $70MM hometown discount. He's that dude.

Reports are saying he signed for less to make room for Parsons, but I thought we had enough cap room to fit everyone in with Dirk at $10MM per. Not sure about the numbers anymore. Maybe we take any remaining cap room, package it with Felton or Wright for a strong defensive PG. One that can shoot and defend to balance out Monta.

Excited about this upcoming season. Salivating at how many assists Ellis could average. He could dish to the off guard to shoot, Parsons and Dirk spotting up, Chandler in pick-and-roll action. Goodness..

Born Ready signed for 3/$27million.
We grossly overpaid for Parsons.
We had to be aggressive with a high offer to even have a chance of getting Parsons in restricted free agency. Open market free agency doesn't command that kind of money, unless you're a max type player. 

ESPN reported that Dallas has an offer on the table for Stephenson for 2/$20MM contingent on Houston matching. 

I'm more excited about Parsons. They put similar numbers, and Parsons doesn't have to dominate the ball. I'd really be concerned with fit alongside Monta if we brought Lance in. He's VERY undersized as a 3. 

We had to be aggressive with a high offer to even have a chance of getting Parsons in restricted free agency. Open market free agency doesn't command that kind of money, unless you're a max type player. 

ESPN reported that Dallas has an offer on the table for Stephenson for 2/$20MM contingent on Houston matching. 

I'm more excited about Parsons. They put similar numbers, and Parsons doesn't have to dominate the ball. I'd really be concerned with fit alongside Monta if we brought Lance in. He's VERY undersized as a 3. 
Parsons is top-tier if he's your third option. Team player, versatile game. Overpaid? Yes, but not by much. 25 and hungry to prove.

On the plus side, Chand is a slightly better player with no character issues. He's slighted and motivated by Houston.
YES. I'm loving the fire he's bringing to Dallas. Our depth chart at the moment:

Felton - Harris - Mekel

Ellis - Crowder - Ledo

Parsons - Jefferson - Lewis

Nowitzki - Wright

Chandler - Smith

Donnie said they want to keep the roster at 14, to keep flexibility. With only one spot left, I have no idea what direction they're going in. I think the signing of Lewis effectively ends any chance of Matrix returning. Washington just did a SnT for Humphries, so maybe they're not looking to acquire Blair anymore. Mo Williams has always been in the mix too. 

very happy with our signing of parsons -- we overpaid, but it had to be done.

would be nice if we still had rudy fernandez around, haha -- i'm worried about our shooting this year (something rare to say for this club).

i always put lance, gordon, & parsons on the same tier -- do you think lance lost money because of his shenanigans or because he wasn't a restricted free agent?

Character issues get overblown.
What exactly has Lance Stephenson done to deserve this black cloud the media has hanging over his head?
Larry Bird said he loves the dudes fire and intensity.

Venom, had no idea. How you become a Mavs fan?

I was in middle school, the trio of Dirk, Nash and Finley was my favorite...made the basketball team and began growing my hair out like Nash. All my friends were Knicks fans and I was like f this. I was like 11 and they've always been my team since.

Losing in 2006 was one of my worst sports memories. I remember I flopped on my bed and laid there face down for what felt like hours. And then finding out the Donaghy story and how he effected the outcome made me so angry and hate basketball for a good period of time. But winning in 2011!

Dirk will forever be my favorite player. In 2006 I met the entire team, got a basketball signed by them when they played the Knicks at MSG. Took pics with Dirk, Josh Howard, Jason Terry, etc.

I was in middle school, the trio of Dirk, Nash and Finley was my favorite...made the basketball team and began growing my hair out like Nash. All my friends were Knicks fans and I was like f this. I was like 11 and they've always been my team since.

Losing in 2006 was one of my worst sports memories. I remember I flopped on my bed and laid there face down for what felt like hours. And then finding out the Donaghy story and how he effected the outcome made me so angry and hate basketball for a good period of time. But winning in 2011!

Dirk will forever be my favorite player. In 2006 I met the entire team, got a basketball signed by them when they played the Knicks at MSG. Took pics with Dirk, Josh Howard, Jason Terry, etc.
Respect. Michael Finley is one of my more appreciated players since Wisconsin then Phoenix and Dallas.

I'd say 98-99 was the first year I really got on board with Dallas and the NBA in general. So yea 10-11 years old

Shooting was partially addressed with the Parsons signing, but we need shooting out of the guard spots.

Looking forward to Dirk and Holger teaching Parsons a few things! 

very happy with our signing of parsons -- we overpaid, but it had to be done.

would be nice if we still had rudy fernandez around, haha -- i'm worried about our shooting this year (something rare to say for this club).

i always put lance, gordon, & parsons on the same tier -- do you think lance lost money because of his shenanigans or because he wasn't a restricted free agent?
I think Lance's market value was dictated by the Pacers's initial offer. It wouldn't take much more to outbid them. Character issues / mental stability also played a factor. 

I'd rather pay that kind of money to Parsons over Hayward though. 

Back
Top Bottom