Damn man, anyone have to deal with a suicidal person?

I just got news that my homeboy's wife attempted to committed suicide by taking a bottle of pills. I really don't know what to do because my homeboyjust told me right now. She attempted because her husband is breaking even with his business and not bringing home no dough for 3 years, and they got moneyproblems up the yin yang. The problem is my homeboy has a lot of pride and nevers asks for help. So that's another issue too.

Me personally, I think it's ridiculous that she actually went through with it. She's still trippin, and she told my other folks what went down. Man,this is just crazy. Do I call the police or get her into a hospital? I mean they got money problems as is. I think a hospital bill without health insurancewill bring more problems. I'm going over there tomorrow and having a talk with both of them along with my other friends and family. My message is mostlygoing to be about downsizing their lifestyle, and not giving a damn about what everyone is thinking about their financial situations. All my homeboys, we grewup without money, so we know we will get through. The girl comes from a very rich family that always keep up with the Jones's. It's her values, so Idon't know how we'll get into her head, that it's not that bad as she makes it out to be. Usually I have sound advice, but this time I have myhands tied. Anyeone been through this type of situation? Any help is fine.

Never been in the same situation, but hope things get better from here on out.
Money should never be the reason for suicide...It's a shame how money = life to some.

yeah, one of my best friends sister and another friend of mine. They were in high school, one was money problem because the dad would take her paycheck moneyand she got tired of it. Her dad was into drugs and all too also is unemployed. I dont think she talks to her dad anymore. The other girl on the other hand iguess she got the same idea from my best friend sister because they were friends. But now shes just a party animal..

i deal with them all the time, the best advice i can give you is tell her to seek professional help. Are you positive she literally has no insurance? Did shenot end up going to the hospital after taking the pills?

a good friend of mine was suicidal. she was going to try and jump. she called one of the crew before she did and homie raced over there and got her. I guessshe didn't really wanna go. But I hadn't seen her in a few weeks cause I'd been busy, but when I did, she had cuts all over her wrists. She wentand checked into a facility for a while, with support from fam and friends, she good. Got a good job, and she living right. Crazy times.

Only thing I can say is just be supportive. Don't try and give too much advice but basically be there to listen if they want to talk to you. Be quick toaccess a situation to see if it's too much for you too handle, and guide the person to some professional help.

At my job I deal with a lot of suicidal calls at first we used to get about 6 a week now its about 5 a day
smh.gif

From my experience most females never go through with it, they just take some pills and call 911, but dudes on the other
Hand are a different story

I had one dude call and all he said is "I just wanted you to hear this" before I could say anything I heard a gunshot crazy thing is dude didn'tdie, but he is now brain dead all that over a chick that was cheating on him
tired.gif

not here to judge but i think that is very cowardly and selfish of his chick. and i feel that way about most...not all...people who attempt suicide. thenagain i know limited information. i really cannot offer advice because my advice would be to tell the chick to stop thinking of herself and think of others,but that would do no good in a convo. good fortune with that my dude

Originally Posted by solefood229

At my job I deal with a lot of suicidal calls at first we used to get about 6 a week now its about 5 a day
smh.gif

From my experience most females never go through with it, they just take some pills and call 911, but dudes on the other

I had one dude call and all he said is "I just wanted you to hear this" before I could say anything I heard a gunshot crazy thing is dude didn't die, but he is now brain dead all that over a chick that was cheating on him
tired.gif
there is absolutely no way I could manage a job like this. part of me would be super super sympathetic and another part of me would be angrylike "there's people starving with no roof over their head and people with terminal illness and you bout to kill yourself over this? %%!!+ and pullthe trigger already clown"

in my experience, i've always tried to bring close friends into it too. not to spread the word, but as a means of intervention to show the person how dearhe/she is to everybody

Suicide has some very interesting statistics...ill leave it at that.

Just be an ear like dude had mentioned. Aint many of us who are "capable" of providing the professional help...just listen and offer no judgements.

A few friends of mine "attempted" but they called people b4 they did it

I didn't wanna judge them, but I just thought

" if you're about to kill yourself you don't call people and say 'hey im about to kill myself"

That's called being an attention (________)

Originally Posted by HarlemKickDiva

" if you're about to kill yourself you don't call people and say 'hey im about to kill myself"

actually thats exactly what one should do, its called asking for help.

Originally Posted by yep617

i deal with them all the time, the best advice i can give you is tell her to seek professional help. Are you positive she literally has no insurance? Did she not end up going to the hospital after taking the pills?

Yeah I'm positive, she actually took all the pills and then luckily she woke up in the morning, I guess somebody is looking over her.

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

smh.gif

I had one dude call and all he said is "I just wanted you to hear this" before I could say anything I heard a gunshot crazy thing is dude didn't die, but he is now brain dead all that over a chick that was cheating on him
tired.gif
there is absolutely no way I could manage a job like this. part of me would be super super sympathetic and another part of me would be angry like "there's people starving with no roof over their head and people with terminal illness and you bout to kill yourself over this? %%!!+ and pull the trigger already clown"

Yea its not for everybody, its kinda sad but you have to turn off your emotions or you will go home sad every night And I also agree with harlemkickdiva, Ihate people who call every one saying they're going to commit suicide especially when they do it every week
indifferent.gif

See ,this chick didn't tell anybody, she went through with it. Then she told my homeboy days later. She's the real deal, there's nobluffing on here.

smh.gif

tired.gif
I think I remember reading that you and I have the same job. Here we get about 10 suicides a week, I don't live in a huge area. I took thecall for this one lady who had just lost her son in a car accident. She couldn't stand the pain of him not being there anymore and she called 911 to havesomeone to talk to in her final minutes. She didn't want her family to endure the suffering of hearing her last words, so she called 911 to speak to acomplete stranger. I kept her on the line for 8 minutes and just listened to her, I never commanded her or insisted that she not do it, I just informed herthere were other options and I just let her talk and was dispatching officers out to possibly stop her. She explained to me she would be using a gun, told meexactly where her life savings was hid for her family to get, and then wished me a wonderful day. I said, "Ma'am----" and she didn't give metime to finish I heard the gunshot and needless to say she didn't survive.

I carry this conversation with me everyday because I felt so helpless in the situation. I love my job because I'm behind the scenes helping, but in caseslike that, it just seems like you don't do you're job enough. I know that I couldn't have done anything differently but still, ya know?

Sorry for the lonnnnnnng rant.

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

a good friend of mine was suicidal. she was going to try and jump. she called one of the crew before she did and homie raced over there and got her. I guess she didn't really wanna go. But I hadn't seen her in a few weeks cause I'd been busy, but when I did, she had cuts all over her wrists. She went and checked into a facility for a while, with support from fam and friends, she good. Got a good job, and she living right. Crazy times.

Only thing I can say is just be supportive. Don't try and give too much advice but basically be there to listen if they want to talk to you. Be quick to access a situation to see if it's too much for you too handle, and guide the person to some professional help.
Great advice, I'll use this. It's a delicate matter, and you sound like this is definitely the way to approach it. Right now, I'mreally mad and surprised that she would really pull a move like this to hurt my homeboy and her own family.

Originally Posted by FromThaTown

i deal with them all the time, the best advice i can give you is tell her to seek professional help. Are you positive she literally has no insurance? Did she not end up going to the hospital after taking the pills?

Yeah I'm positive, she actually took all the pills and then luckily she woke up in the morning, I guess somebody is looking over her.
well as long as she is not acutely suicidal anymore, it would make sense that she see a therapist or counselor on an outpatient basis. You saidher parents had money. Hopefully they wouldnt mind footing the bill for a little while. Thats the direction i would explore.

My bro-in-law was suicidal dude was alot of pressure.
They never let him see his daughter, his family was giving him the cold shoulder, his wife filed for divorce, and he lost his job. He couldn't take it sohe grabbed his gun...well you know the rest
6 years go by and I still wonder why he did it....May 23,2003 damn I miss you bro
frown.gif

I went to his grave last Saturday after about 5 years of not going...I just broke down I was tryin to talk to him but I didn't hear no one talking back soI just lost it and sat there for 3 hours...talking waiting to hear him say "It's cool bro I'm okay don't worry about me anymore."

Last thing he ever told me was "You goin' to buy me another Gatorade fat boy!"...sure enough before I left I went to my car and left the Gatoraderight there for him.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by ErickM713

They never let him see his daughter, his family was giving him the cold shoulder, his wife filed for divorce, and he lost his job. He couldn't take it so he grabbed his gun...well you know the rest
6 years go by and I still wonder why he did it....May 23,2003 damn I miss you bro
frown.gif

I went to his grave last Saturday after about 5 years of not going...I just broke down I was tryin to talk to him but I didn't hear no one talking back so I just lost it and sat there for 3 hours...talking waiting to hear him say "It's cool bro I'm okay don't worry about me anymore."

Last thing he ever told me was "You goin' to buy me another Gatorade fat boy!"...sure enough before I left I went to my car and left the Gatorade right there for him.
frown.gif
I'm so sorry
frown.gif
People who are suicidal don't realize the hardship and emotional turmoil they leave their loved ones in after they aregone. I realize things get too tough to handle, but it doesn't help things when your family is suffering with your loss.
frown.gif

well as long as she is not acutely suicidal anymore, it would make sense that she see a therapist or counselor on an outpatient basis. You said her parents had money. Hopefully they wouldnt mind footing the bill for a little while. Thats the direction i would explore.
I swear to God, NT be coming through. I was just thinking that she doesn't want her parents to know. That's why she came to my homeboy.But yeah push comes to shove, we are going to tell her parents.Too much pride, gets you nowhere in life. I just don't want my homeboy to go on losing hiswife. That would devastate him and hurt me in the process. Thanks alot man.

Originally Posted by AmberElise04

Originally Posted by ErickM713

They never let him see his daughter, his family was giving him the cold shoulder, his wife filed for divorce, and he lost his job. He couldn't take it so he grabbed his gun...well you know the rest
frown.gif

I went to his grave last Saturday after about 5 years of not going...I just broke down I was tryin to talk to him but I didn't hear no one talking back so I just lost it and sat there for 3 hours...talking waiting to hear him say "It's cool bro I'm okay don't worry about me anymore."

Last thing he ever told me was "You goin' to buy me another Gatorade fat boy!"...sure enough before I left I went to my car and left the Gatorade right there for him.
frown.gif
I'm so sorry
frown.gif
People who are suicidal don't realize the hardship and emotional turmoil they leave their loved ones in after they are gone. I realize things get too tough to handle, but it doesn't help things when your family is suffering with your loss.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
I'm really sorry for your loss.

See ,this chick didn't tell anybody, she went through with it. Then she told my homeboy days later. She's the real deal, there's no bluffing on here.
I see that and its sad. However the best thing for her is to talk to someone about it, sounds corny but she's serious about this. Also sheneeds to be put on watch. Not hospital style perse...but someone needs to be with her until she gets her mind right

Back
Top Bottom