Darko is mad.

Taken from an SI.com article

Link

I don't recall if my man ever named names...but seriously, how wack is this dude? Sounds like he's sad about being benched behind players who were better then him, and a coach who was trying to teach him the game (ex. difference between a good and bad shot). There's a certain level of toughness you need in order to play sports at the professional level, and this kid just didn't have it...and probably never will.
"When I look back now, this isn't how my career was supposed to look,"said Milicic, who's averaged 5.4 points and four rebounds over nearlyseven seasons in the NBA. "Being a defensive guy, all of this time notplaying, that's not how I saw my career, that's not how I enjoyplaying. That's why I've decided to take a shot and go back to Europe.I'm 24, I'm still young. So I can still be happy overseas."

"Everybody said this is how it goes in the NBA," Milicic said."You've got to watch first, you've got to learn. It's all bull. Ididn't learn anything by watching. There is no practice in the worldeven close to game situations. They're trying to keep you happy, tryingto keep you thinking your time is around the corner, but it's a lie.You can't keep everybody happy. But I was in the flow and listened tothem. And now it's too late."

Milicic is quick to blame his present on a past he feels hurt his game and psyche. "What changed me was Larry Brown,"Milicic said of the former Pistons coach. "He is a guy who doesn'tunderstand anything, a guy who can't understand what kind of player youare. Even if I made a shot, he'd tell me it was not a good shot.

"Thattook my mind off basketball. I got frustrated and wondered, If theyweren't going to put me in the game, why was I [in Detroit]? So Istarted thinking of stupid stuff and began not caring about the game,not trying to get better."

He needs to stop thinking "Europe Europe Europe.....no one gives me a chance in the NBA" when right now, in his current situation, he is getting good minutes every night.

He pretty much telling the truth. Brown tried to break him down to build him back up but instead alienated him. I remember a couple years back they were talking about how coaches weren't adjusting to a new era of players who after a while would just tune coaches out if they didn't like what they were hearing. Brown tried pulling out a page from the old school playbook because at the time Detroit was contending and he had all the leverage.
Where instead of building Darko into a stronger player he broke him and more than anyone else I blame Joe Dumars for this because at some point you have to step in and protect your high value assets

It's a must to have this in every Darko thead
laugh.gif

i feel bad for dude. they seriously %@@*#* him. and the fact that he was drafted 2nd didnt really help either

We all know Larry Brown isn't too fond of young players. I'm not siding w. Darko, but there probably is SOME truth in what he is saying. Remember the Athens fiasco w. Brown at the helm? No major minutes for Melo/LBJ due to thier "inexperience."
smh.gif
His stubbornness as a coach blew Team USA's chances that year.

Now if I remember correctly, Rasheed used to rave about Darko in practice (talking about his defense etc)....I'm sure Larry Brown saw it differently, but I'm quite positve that the other players on this pistons used to talk up Darko in a good way....

Not his fault he was taken so high in the draft and also not his fault Chad Ford and others spent a full year telling us how Darko was going to be the greatest euro of all time when they probably saw him play 2 games as a teenager.

Darko's just another guy who didn't end up making a dent in the L and he's not the first. Tough for him though cause he's not "from" here so he just wants to go back. It's obvious like Kwame there were factors out of the gate not in his favor which stunted his growth. For how much I put Darko's problems on his own shoulders and am tired of still hearing about him, people also gotta realize sports is a lot of blind luck too. Many of our "star" athletes would not be as high on our lists if they were drafted by a different team or had different environments. Who knows.

He is right about basketball, or the NBA for that matter, not being the same arena as football where you really wait for your time. As the number 2 pick, you expect to get burn, if not starter status. It doesn't feel like he was given a chance from then on.

I don't know about his time in Minny (is it?) right now,but his short time as a Knick was a waste & we could have used his presence. _'Antoni wasn't seeing none of that though.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I can't believe people actually defend this guy.

THIS

and

so the players showing up late for practice, not going hard for practice and playing like ball hogs once they got on the court had nothing to do with there play? bron and melo thought because of name alone they would get major PT and didnt work hard.

dude got (#*&$# up, but he sounded like everybody in this world owe him some (#&$(#. Dude needs to suck it up and prove his worth.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

THIS

and

so the players showing up late for practice, not going hard for practice and playing like ball hogs once they got on the court had nothing to do with there play? bron and melo thought because of name alone they would get major PT and didnt work hard.
It was just Iverson & James plus that was only a one time thing.  Brown never play rookies and thats a fact, look how much better Salmons has gotten once he left Philly dude hardly got minutes here

THIS
x3

"Thattook my mind off basketball. I got frustrated and wondered, If theyweren't going to put me in the game, why was I [in Detroit]? So Istarted thinking of stupid stuff and began not caring about the game,not trying to get better."

thats his fault...u think other star players wouldnt work harder if something like that happens?

People defend him, because hes at least partially right.

The NBA is a monopoly is all i have to say.

As a Pistons fan, I hate looking back on that draft and seeing Melo, Wade, and Bosh go after Darko.
smh.gif
The dude was the human victory cigar though, once Brown put him in, you know the Pistons had the game won.

I have always said this and I belive this, Darko being this bad has nothing to do with his talent or ability it's his head, there is something wrong with that dude, do I think Larry exacerbated it with his Larry Brown nonsense but something was up with kid from the jump. You don't get compared to Wilt Chamberlain coming out of the draft and be devoid of talent. One thing I do agree with him is that players don't get better siting on the bench or practicing.

Remeber the time he got hung by the rim and he looked dejected, I really kind of feel his career would have gone a lot different if was drafted by somebody else.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

He is right about basketball, or the NBA for that matter, not being the same arena as football where you really wait for your time. As the number 2 pick, you expect to get burn, if not starter status. It doesn't feel like he was given a chance from then on.

That's whats wrong with a lot of younger athletes today...they "expect" too much. The way I see it, either your talent is undeniable or you bust your tail to earn playing time. People can say what they want about LB or any other coach, but unless your name is Don Nelson you're going to play your best players. Darko wanted minutes, well at that time he needed to outplay Corliss Williamson and Okur. 
Not to mention, but in this day and age Darko had to know what he was getting himself into. I'm assuming that either him or his agent had to know about how Brown is a no nonsense, old school type coach. Why didn't he attempt to pull a Rubio and stay overseas then? 

THIS

and

Again...his stubborness blew Team USA's chances in Athens.  There was a lot of %@*! that went wrong with that Olympic squad, but IMO, Larry Brown deserves most of the blame. 

i can see where he's coming from...who knows what would have happen if melo, bosh or d wade went to detroit. i could see larry brown finding a reason to bench those guys as rookies.

but, i think darko suffers from the kwame brown disease....too much pressure from being a high draft pick and the nitpicking of larry brown and michael jordan pretty much ruined both mentally and destroyed their confidence..

the best ones are not only great players but are strong mentally...

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

He pretty much telling the truth. Brown tried to break him down to build him back up but instead alienated him. I remember a couple years back they were talking about how coaches weren't adjusting to a new era of players who after a while would just tune coaches out if they didn't like what they were hearing. Brown tried pulling out a page from the old school playbook because at the time Detroit was contending and he had all the leverage.
Where instead of building Darko into a stronger player he broke him and more than anyone else I blame Joe Dumars for this because at some point you have to step in and protect your high value assets
I fully agree

Back
Top Bottom