Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
“People like Jimmy O. Yang and W. Kamau Bell have publicly condemned him, while David Spade, Bill Burr, and Jim Jefferies defended him during a panel on Spade’s Comedy Central late-night series on Monday night.”

No surprise here

context is important here. How did they “defend” him? What exactly were they defending?

He apologized back in the 90s too, wasn't really coming from a mean spirited place or meant to embolden idiots, just a comedic mind going where the joke is at the time.

Jemele sit down. :lol: She starting to do way too much.

Eddie having to apologize for JOKES from 30-38 years ago is crazy. This new PC culture is just full of people looking for attention.

Dude been doing family movies for over 20 years, not sure what people are expecting

This would be like trying to get Ice Cube to apologize for controversial or flat out offensive rap lyrics :lol: When fam been doing comedy and family friendly movies for 20 years.

He didn't HAVE TO do anything, he just did it.

In this extra sensitive era yeah he had to. Some dude Andy Cohen recently said he was "problematic". Once that **** starts it's a runaway train with them. The social media bandwagon loads up.

Now he don't NEED to. Eddie is good he could say **** mainstream Hollywood but if wants keep doing those family movies and voice over work he gotta play their game to some extent.

Some dude Andy Cohen recently said he was "problematic".

Well, he WAS (as in "not anymore") problematic, but he's been doing family friendly stuff since the late 90s.

There's a lot things that were acceptable in the past, but aren't today, like public hangings for example.

In this extra sensitive era yeah he had to. Some dude Andy Cohen recently said he was "problematic". Once that **** starts it's a runaway train with them. The social media bandwagon loads up.

Now he don't NEED to. Eddie is good he could say **** mainstream Hollywood but if wants keep doing those family movies and voice over work he gotta play their game to some extent.

Here’s my thing. Most the time, the outrage is disingenuous, it’s more on some “gotcha” type mentality than anything. I guarantee if you go through old tweets, Facebook posts and did a little searching, a good chunk of the cancel culture heads aren’t batting 100% from the morality standpoint. If someone like that Cohen guy wants to play purity test games, he better have a perfect slate.

I’m not going to dismiss the feelings and opinion of anyone who was legitimately offended by what he said in his comedy routine 30+ years ago, but at the same time, he apologized and expressed regret about it. What else do they want him to do?

Well, he WAS (as in "not anymore") problematic, but he's been doing family friendly stuff since the late 90s.

There's a lot things that were acceptable in the past, but aren't today, like public hangings for example.

So if he's been doing family friendly stuff and certain things aren't "acceptable" anymore that means he HAD to apologize in some way. :lol:

And you can say public hangings and killings are still accepted in this country.

Whether he was problematic depends your opinion. I'm not calling somebody problematic over some jokes. Eddie made fun of everything back then.

You just compared public hangings to inappropriate jokes by a comedian trying to get money. Come on, man.

Now you're the one complaining, see how that works?

I’m just saying that’s an extreme way to make a point in this discussion :lol: I totally understand norms change over time but In the current day people are generally still going to hold past actions to modern standards. It’s just the way it is. Especially when it comes to political correctness.

Back
Top Bottom