DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

Huntress was way underused.
margot was fire.
way better then SS
Can’t tell me Harley didn’t take the super soldier serum :lol:
She was throwing that bat as if it was Caos shield :rofl:

I thought this movie was great . I could tell that Yan was able to provide her complete vision and didn’t have to deal with studio BS.
The movie wasn’t perfect , but this was a good intro to some members of the BOP, now I hope other directors come take these characters and use them In other properties. Would love to see Canary somewhere else as well as Huntress . Even absent Harley maybe we can get an HBO max miniseries to show these characters in action and delve further into their backstories .

Joaquin didn't deserve the best actor oscar. Felt like the academy fell for hype and sullied the Joker role from here out. Any actor chasing the award just has to play Joker to have at least 50% chance. Can't wait for Michael B. Jordan to play Joker in a film interpretation of Death in the Family :rolleyes

Joaquin didn't deserve the best actor oscar. Felt like the academy fell for hype and sullied the Joker role from here out. Any actor chasing the award just has to play Joker to have at least 50% chance. Can't wait for Michael B. Jordan to play Joker in a film interpretation of Death in the Family :rolleyes

Nah chief. No other actor could top Joaquin's portrayal of the joker.

Nah chief. No other actor could top Joaquin's portrayal of the joker.

While the movie was named joker.. I don’t really look at that as a joker movie

while there obviously have been many iterations of the character just felt like this one didn’t necessarily need to be named ‘joker’.. felt more like a combo take on 2 Scorsese characters specifically than the many versions of joker we’ve seen

ledger is still easily the best live action joker to me

Being a big Scorsese fan and because I didn’t get a chance to watch the movie when it initially came out

I purposely rewatched the king of comedy and taxi driver recently before I checked joker.. I think the joker was well made but it ain’t hard to see how the films overlap.. and killing joke being one of the animated movies few misses, I enjoyed what they did with this origin story more with its very clear homages

but as I think I’ve said here, I think, I hope this is an isolated one and done story because I can’t see this version of joker in a grander universe.. or even within the regular Batman world

don’t get me wrong, I think it was a good movie.. I just hope it isn’t the foundation DC tries to build a world from, instead of realizing that isolated stories can be and should be told using their characters

also having recently watched brightburn, that’s a film with its obvious connections with superman that I don’t think get sufficient recognition in the grand scheme of things

Phoenix was building a Dicaprio type of filmography without an oscar
Gladiator
HER
WALK THE LINE
you were never really here
THE MASTER

Much like the Revenant it was wasn't THE top Leo performance, but when were they gonna stop playing themselves, same thing goes for this and Phoenix. I'm still salty over Gladiator, Her, Walk the line

Also if you playing the joker and don't even get ONE scene with Bats, you can't really even be in the convo of GOAT joker performances. Half the performance is dealing with batman directly especially if that's your archnemesis. Heath runs laps around this performance on that very notion

We'll see what its looking like in the sequel though, dude has the potential to hit Batman with some GOAT dialogue coming from a mental health angle

OF COURSE Phoenix deserved at least one oscar(should have more but thats another discussion) but for this movie? That should be treated as opinion, it is nowhere near a definitive fact.

Dude shoulda won for her.. that was the performance I had zero clue to expect out of dude

this joker performance didn’t surprise me at all.. not saying it wasn’t good, but just easily right within dude’s range

Last edited:
i think joaquins performance this year beats out everyone including kylo rens, i saw banderas and leo too but phoenix was better (did not see the pope movie tho) but i do he was the best in this years competition

i think he has been so good for so long that we just expected it from him, similar to you can say lebrons an mvp every year but since he's consistent with that performance, unless he averages a trip/dub and his teams #1, he wont even be in the conversation

his past, better performance shouldnt be a reason he should lose or if he is the 2nd best joker or not

saw birds of Prey last night. i thought it was decent. harley quinn is harley quinn and margot perfectly potrays her, why the hell is Renee Montoya so damn old, like who thought rosie perez was a prime candidate? Black canary was fine (as she should be) but why did DC pull an El Diablo with her that pissed me off, huntress barely existed and cassie Cain was a useless insert child which i thought was stupid for her character. i still liked the movie but man DC be nerfing theyre characters like crazy

Dude definitely did work.. and I don’t mean to knock that

I’m more talking about it as a joker/DC/Batman villain

the performance woulda been great if it was just a random dude and not specifically the joker

Once upon a time in Hollywood is just the better movie to me.. but not sure who gave the better performance, probably Phoenix because he was asked to do more and Leo’s was more subtle

but once upon a time is a movie I find myself rewatching a ton.. not sure if I’ll be rewatching joker that much

conversation is about best actor performance though, doesnt even matter if its the true joker from the comics, if its a great performance and better than the other actors nominated then he should win

halle berrys oscars movie, i only watch for that scene and nothing else which reminds me i need a recap...

rfx45 rfx45 no way in hell can you really say Joaquin's performance in Joker was better than Leo's in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I get that it's all subjective but Leos range in that movie went from crying washed up has been to trying to top Bounty Law with more spaghetti western's :lol: a successful actor playing a struggling actor in one big Seinfeld episode is more impressive than a sad clown. Joaquin's Joker never felt calculated. Everything he did was impulse off his anger. Clown Prince of Crime? No, Clown Prince of emotions not being in check cause he couldn't get his meds

Clown Prince of Crime? No, Clown Prince of emotions not being in check cause he couldn't get his meds

but see again you are putting him a box, in a hole, you have an idea of what joker is suppose to be and it doesnt conform to that so you knock his performance because of it

i didnt hate leos performance but i like phoenix better, i felt slightly more engaged and real about it, that is all

plus i mean you just said it...

rfx45 rfx45 no way in hell can you really say Joaquin's performance in Joker was better than Leo's in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I get that it's all subjective

you dont have to agree but you aint got to keep knocking it either over and over and over, i mean lets be real, if this portrayal was in Far From Home, you'd be saying this is the best performance of the century :lol:

but see again you are putting him a box, in a hole, you have an idea of what joker is suppose to be and it doesnt conform to that so you knock his performance because of it

i didnt hate leos performance but i like phoenix better, i felt slightly more engaged and real about it, that is all

plus i mean you just said it...

you dont have to agree but you aint got to keep knocking it either over and over and over, i mean lets be real, if this portrayal was in Far From Home, you'd be saying this is the best performance of the century :lol:

I'm not against liberties taken with comic book films but their are some core concepts you can't omit with a character as big as the Joker. And while we're keeping it a buck, Gyllenhaal as Mysterio played unstable better than Joaquin >D

I'm not against liberties taken with comic book films but their are some core concepts you can't omit with a character as big as the Joker. And while we're keeping it a buck, Gyllenhaal as Mysterio played unstable better than Joaquin >D

joaquin played a great value version of his character from The Master in Joker. He was mostly a victim of bad directing and writing, but now that he has the Oscar, I can’t say it was all a waste.

“What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner with a society who abandons him and treats him like trash?”
:lol: A+ screenwriting

joker doesnt really have a set of an origins to adhere to, i mean hell everyone loved it when heat had a dozen different stories to his origins

this isnt like bruce wayne where you just got to kill his parent gazillion times so its set

but a one-shot, non-dceu connected film that has its own take isnt acceptable?

Gyllenhaal as Mysterio played unstable better than Joaquin >D

of course you'd say that :lol:

just proves my point

but imma let yall argue this til yall blue in the face, really no point, you say you're trying to be subjective when you're really not and you already judged the film/acting before you even got to see it (yeah you already saying they were being hyped for the performance even before any of us saw the film) and lets face, it when it comes to you and dc, you gon' hate it no matter what

Birds of Prey has been retitled.

Screenshot_20200210-200611.png

Back
Top Bottom