Defense In NBA 2K9 vol. Stop LeBron or Kobe

How can this be done? It seems like 80% of players choose the Cavs or the Lakers and just dunk every time down the court with either LeBron or Kobe.

I've already learned how to stop people cheesing with JR Smith, Gerald Green, Josh Smith, etc. (just swipe while trailing) but I can't figure out howto stop the superstars. Taking the charge doesn't work because they're too fast. Can't really block them effectively either. Swiping from behinddoesn't work.

It's gotten to the point where if another player insists on using either of those two teams, I'll pick the same team as them and give them the choiceof whether to play on, change teams, or quit (most would rather quit than play with another team). I'm not proud of this.
ohwell.gif

There going to score regardless, but I usually play off LeBron and put "Deny Ball" under options. Double team everyone (Weird, but it works for me)And play a 2-3 zone.

That might be the thing. I rarely run zone. I find it awkward rotating
laugh.gif
. I'll give it a shot though.

Play more zone, then play as either of the guards, whenever they drive u can collapse, let ur big man pick them up in the key, then run out to their perimetershooter to contest the shot if they kick it out. Play more than mad defense, If u can get could with zones it makes the game better defensively, they dontalways work though. Usually games I play are usually pretty close in the 1st quarter. Then once the second starts i usually switch to the 2-3, then in thethird the 1-3-1. If you keep giving them different looks they have to keep adjusting and it leads to turnovers.

Learn how to play one on one defense and when they start making moves to the basket, cut them off with somebody else, but don't double team unless it'shard for them to get the ball to someone else.

You have to stop them, and stop them early. I harass Bron and Kobe early. 2-3, and take my Superstar (Usually B.Roy), or my Small Forward, and I press themfrom the time they take it across. And I trap them whenever I can, Kobe usually split it with that carry dribble though. Clog the lane w/ Bron, because mostcannot shoot with him.

Tayshaun Prince. And the second one of them take a step inside the 3 point line, double team. Give up 3's.

Originally Posted by DL2352

How can this be done? It seems like 80% of players choose the Cavs or the Lakers and just dunk every time down the court with either LeBron or Kobe.

I've already learned how to stop people cheesing with JR Smith, Gerald Green, Josh Smith, etc. (just swipe while trailing) but I can't figure out how to stop the superstars. Taking the charge doesn't work because they're too fast. Can't really block them effectively either. Swiping from behind doesn't work.

It's gotten to the point where if another player insists on using either of those two teams, I'll pick the same team as them and give them the choice of whether to play on, change teams, or quit (most would rather quit than play with another team). I'm not proud of this.
ohwell.gif

Any specific time to steal while trailing?

I use the HUBBLE. Every time I have the ball I hit them with an immediate double team. I'll take my chances on the guy having to pass it around to get anopen shot rather than just having them yam all day with LeBron.

[Jadakiss] One-on-one, dudes can't guard me properly / And when they double team me the odds are sloppy [Jadakiss]

I had this similar problem.

First, dont play people who choose Cleveland or LA, its usually not worth your time.

Second, if you find yourself up against someone who charges to the basket with one player (whether it be Josh Smith, 'Bron, Kobe, Wade) this usually meansthey arent very good at perimeter shooting.

I've found that you want to put a defensive player with long arms on this superstar, and then I turn the defensive pressure and help defense all the wayup. Lastly, I like to swtich to box-and-one D (or sometimes 2-3 zone) because it keeps the paint protected while one player plays man on the outside. Again,this only works if someone is cheesing with one star player and they are unable to hit outside shots.

Other than that, I would just take your big guys and try to protect the basket (it is rather difficult to foul out in a game) and force them to shoot freethrows

Originally Posted by fc15

Originally Posted by DL2352

I've already learned how to stop people cheesing with JR Smith, Gerald Green, Josh Smith, etc. (just swipe while trailing) but I can't figure out how to stop the superstars. Taking the charge doesn't work because they're too fast. Can't really block them effectively either. Swiping from behind doesn't work.

It's gotten to the point where if another player insists on using either of those two teams, I'll pick the same team as them and give them the choice of whether to play on, change teams, or quit (most would rather quit than play with another team). I'm not proud of this.
ohwell.gif

Any specific time to steal while trailing?
Right before they attempt either a layup or a dunk. I just mash on the steal button really. At that point, if they beat my man and they'reclose enough for a layup, it's worth risking a foul to get the steal. Success rate for this is high (sometimes almost too high
laugh.gif
)

And thanks guys for the tips. I'm going to try to run more zone. The double teaming though I find impossible to do on those guys though. Usually it takesat least two trap attempts since these players have the uncanny ability to break doubles with ease.

Originally Posted by XxHonchoxX

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

LBJ = leave him wide open outside and let him take shots.
snoop.gif

Just don't do that in the 4th Quarter if the Cavaliers are down.
Which is a gamble some games he'll hit them some he won't.

Originally Posted by McFlyer

what about low post d seems like fools always make their layups and short hooks
For the low post, I usually start off by playing one on one on the guy. Just trying to time the blocks. If he's getting buckets at will, tryto deny him the ball by using a guard to get in the lanes. Or double team and have him kick it out. Big men aren't the greatest passers (unless ifthey're a superstar.)

i usually just respect their speed and stay in front of them. if they manage to squeak by i'll draw a charge or block the shot by switching to a big man toprovide some help d.

I'm playin in the association..and what i have been able to do is that the last few times the Cavs had played lebron at the four spot..this meant thatRasheed Wallace was guardin him..Rasheed is my main scorer..he averages 20+ a game and 6-7 boards..so what i've done is i have gone right at Lebron to gethim into foul trouble and it has worked the last two times i've played..but lebron is sick when he is in the game..i normally switch between 2-3, 1-3-1,and full court defenses the whole game..it helps with turnovers and it gives them different looks..and lebron is usually a poor jump shooter in the gamesi've played he just drives all the time..

With kobe..i let him get his..it's tough..cause he's at 25 at the half..but i have shut down the rest of the lakers except for odom..and i'veactually gotten kobe in foul trouble with Rip once this season so that limited his effectiveness

Originally Posted by dmxgod

I'm playin in the association..and what i have been able to do is that the last few times the Cavs had played lebron at the four spot..this meant that Rasheed Wallace was guardin him..Rasheed is my main scorer..he averages 20+ a game and 6-7 boards..so what i've done is i have gone right at Lebron to get him into foul trouble and it has worked the last two times i've played..but lebron is sick when he is in the game..i normally switch between 2-3, 1-3-1, and full court defenses the whole game..it helps with turnovers and it gives them different looks..and lebron is usually a poor jump shooter in the games i've played he just drives all the time..

With kobe..i let him get his..it's tough..cause he's at 25 at the half..but i have shut down the rest of the lakers except for odom..and i've actually gotten kobe in foul trouble with Rip once this season so that limited his effectiveness
It's really not that easy to get players in foul trouble. Even if they picked up a few, players using the Cavs or the Lakers will not pullLeBron or Kobe out because they don't know how to use any of their other players
laugh.gif
LeBron turns into a godly jumpshooter in the 4th quarter for somereason.

Back
Top Bottom