Dell Loptop overheating FTL

I swear i hate this thing. I have an inspiron 1501 laptop which I have had for a little over 2 yrs now.
About a year ago the battery just went ape@$#% on me so thats done. Now this thing just gets super hot and just shuts down. As a matter of fact my fingers areburning just from typing this up.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have heard from classmates that this is a common thing with dell laptops
solutions?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

Get a mac.
Im already knowin Im in the market for one. It's just the principle that these things should not just happen. I swear when I see those pccommercials of people buying laptops I get ready to kick the tv in rage

I have a Sony Vaio. I bought a laptop fan that connects via USB to prevent overheating. I've had the fan a little over a year now and it works great.

Originally Posted by AmberElise04

I have a Sony Vaio. I bought a laptop fan that connects via USB to prevent overheating. I've had the fan a little over a year now and it works great.

might try that. i have cleaned all the dust that i can see out of the vents but that didnt do it.
it usually shuts down when im doing anything involving media. itunes..videos. youtube. connecting my bb or flash drive is just a matter of minutes before itshuts off. right now im on nt and its literally boiling my fingers..this cant be safe

Originally Posted by Flight8403

Originally Posted by AmberElise04

might try that. i have cleaned all the dust that i can see out of the vents but that didnt do it.
it usually shuts down when im doing anything involving media. itunes..videos. youtube. connecting my bb or flash drive is just a matter of minutes before it shuts off. right now im on nt and its literally boiling my fingers..this cant be safe
No, it doesn't sound safe. My HP did that before and it ended up shutting down one day and never coming back on. With the Vaio, I immediatelybought a fan they are like $30.00 depending on where you get it, you may find it cheaper. It cools it down TONS.

i use an air compressor on mine. just blow air through that mofo. after that it stays cooler than the other side of the pillow. do this twice a year.

I shot my vents up with one of those air cans to remove dust and my stupid Dell crapped out on me for a bit. Now it's working fine, but it still heats up.I think I might be done with Dell after this.

My old Gateway did that as well. Blowing the dust out didn't help. I had it for about 1.5 yrs and I thought for $1,000 it had a good run.

My next laptop after that was a Mac, it's been 2 yrs since I bought it and it's still running flawlessly. It never got as hot as my Gateway did and itnever shut down.

let me add that using the laptop on your bed or any fabric causes this. <--- captain obvious

I'm on my second Dell. First one had a good 4 year run with minor issues and none having to do with overheating. My Inspiron 1525 that I have now heats upa tiny bit more than my last one, but still very minor.

Anyway I love Dell, they really do have amazing customer service... if you are under warranty
laugh.gif

Dell sucks. I have an XPS M1530. My hard drive went down, so I got a new one right before my warranty ran out. That hard drive died in less than 3 months. Theymumbled some crap about selling used and refurbished ones, blamed a Korean chip they have no control over, then said they actually didn't know why it died.But oh, my warranty was up so I had to either pay them $50 just for talking to them, or buy another hard drive from them. I did then when I called them to askhow to install it, they said they wanted $50 again just for giving me directions about how to install a hard drive they sold me. I hung up and figured it outmyself. So in a year and a half I'm on my 3rd hard drive and I often have the overheating problem so usually keep an electric fan by me to point at thekeyboard a couple of times an hour to cool it down. I think I'm going to get a Mac next.

i'v had my dell inspiron 700m since 2005 and it still runs great. it does get hot but not to the point that it shuts down. i'm using it now to typethis. my macbook, which i bought a month ago also gets as hot as the dell. but also doesnt shut down. anyone else have a problem with their macs getting hotquick?

My Inspiron 1200 finally died on me last week.

In the market for a netbook.

OP, I suggest you get a portable cooling fan.

Originally Posted by socluis90

i use an air compressor on mine. just blow air through that mofo. after that it stays cooler than the other side of the pillow. do this twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom