ohwell.gif
glad she's ok. what are the odds though

[h1] [/h1]

Big League Stew

Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:40 pm EDT
[h2]Of all the luck: Denard Span hits his own mother with foul ball[/h2]
By 'Duk

ept_sports_mlb_experts-889855215-1270058624.jpg
It seemed strange enough that a foul ball hit by Denard Span(notes) would fly into the stands and hit a woman who was wearing his jersey from the Twins.

Then we found out the woman was Span's mother.  

Inwhat can only be described as a freak occurrence, the Minnesotaoutfielder found himself feeling about as bad as a son can possiblyfeel after he fouled off a pitch from the Yankees' Phil Hughes(notes) into his mother's chest.

Luckily, it turned out that his mother suffered only some soreness and not something more serious. 

From the Associated Press:
"WandaWilson was sitting in the box seats near the third-base dugout when herson hit a foul liner leading off the game against the New York Yankees.

"Spansprinted to his mom and stayed while paramedics treated her. The gamewas delayed for a few minutes and she was taken to first aid. Spanreturned to the plate and struck out on the next pitch."

Spanstayed in the game for another at-bat, then left in the top of thethird after telling the Twins that he wasn't mentally into the game. Hethen spent some time with his mother, who had relocated to a differentseat after being checked out at the ballpark's first aid station.  

Really, you can't help but feel pretty bad for one of baseball's nicest guys. He began his day by tweeting his excitementover playing the Yankees "in front of my family and friends in myhometown" of Tampa and then ended up inadvertently hitting his motherwith a baseball.
Thankfully, all was well that ended well.

I saw the the headline earlier. I originally thought it was his mother that he hit, but then I was like nah I read that wrong.

But then it turns out that he really did hit his own mother?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom