Depression/Anxiety

--I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and take xanax on the reg. Stay busy, find a new hobby, something fresh.
--RIP to your father.

interesting. i've been depressed for about 3 years now, triggered by my grandfather's death (was a best friend as well). mom has wanted me to visit adoctor, but i am always skeptical.

good luck, hope things turn around for you.

i would recommend sticking with the lexapro, remember those types of meds take a couple weeks to start working effectively. If that doesnt work your doc canrecommend another.
Also developing/learning/using some coping skills i.e meditation, talking it out with someone, exercise, deep breathing, can work wonders. Getting the alcoholout of the picture is a good suggestion.
i'd stay away from xanax, klonopin, ativan etc. these have high potential for abuse, not to mention physical addiction with intense withdrawal symptomsthat can last a few weeks(trouble sleeping, and higher levels of anxiety can take months to feel "normal"). Benzos are physically the hardest drug toget off after long term using and withdrawals can cause death.

I feel your pain, my dad passed 10/7/09, he was my best friend and mentor in life, losing him cut like a knife. I work with kids and they did help sooth thewound a little. But ultimately I had to get on a prescription too because I'd be so depressed I couldn't get out of bed...get back to the things thatmake you happy. For me its been literature, working out, shopping, and writing. Focus on YOU. Because at the end of the day, no one else can relate to whatyou're going through.

do you feel like ur brain is 'foggy' and thoughts are just racing thru ur head? also, do u have any thoughts of hurting urself or anybody else?

To the originial poster,

I just recently got myself out of a rut that I was in for a solid six months. This may sound awful, but I honestly would have rather shot myself in the footthan to have gone through and be in that mental state for such a long period of time. I wasn't sleeping well either, and on my initial visit to my primarydoctor, he prescribed me Ambien so I could get some sleep, and also Paxil for my depression and anxiety. They then referred me to a mental hospital due to thefact that I was having suicidal thoughts. I never wanted to really do anything, just the thought of death sounded peaceful to me. I never actually was apatient at the hospital, just had an evaluation.

Anyway, the Paxil never seemed to do anything for me, and between this past September - December I tried everything from Paxil, Paxil CR, Pristiq, Lexapro,Werllbutrin. Wellbutrin was the only one I somewhat responded to, but I'll get to that later. I also was put on Xanax and still take it from time to timewhen I'm feeling anxious. I know its a Benzo, but it's not addicting to me but it really does help. The Ambien really helps me sleep, just be carefulwhen you first take it. It will hit you hard as hell. Take it and go to bed right away or else you'll stay awake and trip real hard....which is kind of funsometimes, but you'll have amnesia the next day, ha.

Anyhow, keep you head up and don't let the bad thoughts consume you. Find a therapist and start some cognitive therapy as well. I used to have days where Ithought I would never be back to my old self and would just end up crying over random stuff. I eventually got off all the medications this past month due tothe fact that I actually got diagnosed with ADD....but I really was depressed for awhile. Feel free to PM me if you need advice or have any questions, I reallythink I can help. Depression and anxiety are two of the worst things one can experience, and I really hope you hang in there. Hit me up and keep your head up,it will get better.

stay from the meds, in the end its only temporary. each morning, most people attend to their hygiene to go out and be presentable to the world. most peoplehave to eat breakfast or have a coffee and a cigarette every morning to start their day. the same thing applies to refocusing your mind on poisitive pleasantforward looking thoughts. its tuff kicko. i cant lie. geting out of a mental rut is a battle against youyrself. for example, look at the stock market poohsfactory may have to shut down, margin calls, though technicaly i dont have to pay them, but whatever. negative eqity is not a good look.

Originally Posted by JKickz1334

By the way, don't go online and read about all the side effects about these drugs.

I hate it when I do that whenever myself or a loved one is prescribed(sp?) a new medication. But I just can't help it.

Originally Posted by Shaq DIESEL 34

Workout, you'll feel better about yourself and it will release endorphins which will cause you to be in a better mood.

2nd that. physical exertion helps stop your mind from controlling your body. it should also make you hungry. I'm sure being hungry isn't helping youfeel any better
also mediation or if you don't know how to do that then yoga or something like that. also focusing on your breathing helps to stop the mind from racing
drugs of any kind will only make it worse. buying stuff will only put a patch on it and it will come back.
and not having a job or something to spend your time doing is not good. try to find a temp job or volunteer somewhere. something that helps other people willhelp you feel better yourself.
good luck sir. I have been there as well

Originally Posted by nikestreetdotcom

Originally Posted by Drameezy

find a job, get laid & go out shopping that usually cheers me up!
grin.gif
One thing that also has really worried me is that I haven't had any sex drive since Monday.

Alex

man i had an ex g/f who suffered from anxiety. she rarely ever had a sex drive. needless to say we arent together anymore. it takes a special person to be withsomeone like that. goodluck and lay off the brewski

what ever you do, do NOT go off the meds without talking to a doctor first. my wife used to just "go off" her meds on a whim, and the downward spiralis NOT fun for her or those of us that must deal with her. A doctor will wean you when and more importantly IF the time is right.

Back
Top Bottom