Detroit Starring John Boyega, Anthony Mackie, John Krasinski Director Kathryn Bigelow 8/4/17

A police raid in Detroit in 1967 results in one of the largest citizen uprisings in the United States' history.

Cast:
John Boyega
Anthony Mackie
John Krasinski
Tyler James Williams
Jason Mitchell
Kaitlyn Dever
Jacob Latimore
Will Poulter
Laz Alonso
Malcolm David Kelley

Directed by Kathryn Bigelow

Select theaters: 7/28/17
Everywhere: 8/4/17

Official trailer releases tomorrow

Last edited:
what a cast 
eek.gif

They filmed this all over Massachusetts. Brockton, Lynn, a few other armpit areas. Boston too.

Just got home from it and it was a very good movie. Those who have strong opinions about police brutality aren't going to enjoy this movie. The audience in my theater, which were majority black, were visibly upset during the police interrogation scene, which took up a majority of the movie. Even I was pretty uncomfortable watching it. Guy in front of me literally said he couldn't take it anymore and left.

Last edited:
I do not recommend seeing this movie. While I hate to discourage that story being told, its hypocritical stance and heavy handed delivery make it hard to watch.

I don't understand why they billed this film how they did. It seemed like it was going to be a criticism of the history of police brutality, but they still managed to paint some of the officers as "the good guys." They were all guilty.

I understand they wanted to capture the gruesomeness of the actual events, but it felt like they used violence as a cheap trick to invoke emotion from the audience. 3/10 would not recommend.

I do not recommend seeing this movie. While I hate to discourage that story being told, its hypocritical stance and heavy handed delivery make it hard to watch.

I don't understand why they billed this film how they did. It seemed like it was going to be a criticism of the history of police brutality, but they still managed to paint some of the officers as "the good guys." They were all guilty.

I understand they wanted to capture the gruesomeness of the actual events, but it felt like they used violence as a cheap trick to invoke emotion from the audience. 3/10 would not recommend.

What officers did it paint as the good guys?

The only ones I saw were the ones Ralph Tresvant ran to. The rest it painted as nonchalant, which was practically just as bad as the cops IMO, because it was still that blue wall of silence.

Just got home from it and it was a very good movie. Those who have strong opinions about police brutality aren't going to enjoy this movie. The audience in my theater, which were majority black, were visibly upset during the police interrogation scene, which took up a majority of the movie. Even I was pretty uncomfortable watching it. Guy in front of me literally said he couldn't take it anymore and left.

Yeah, so much of it still applies today that it's not an easy watch at all.

What officers did it paint as the good guys?

The only ones I saw were the ones Ralph Tresvant ran to. The rest it painted as nonchalant, which was practically just as bad as the cops IMO, because it was still that blue wall of silence.

According to the movie, the only reason why they were at trial in the first place was due to one officer consciously choosing to snitch on rest of the officers. Let's not mention that weird scene where the director tried to invoke sympathy for the officer who "unwittingly" murdered someone.

According to the movie, the only reason why they were at trial in the first place was due to one officer consciously choosing to snitch on rest of the officers. Let's not mention that weird scene where the director tried to invoke sympathy for the officer who "unwittingly" murdered someone.

I didn't perceive any sympathy, because the snitching was to protect themselves and not out of guilt. They never apologized or felt sorry for what they did. In fact John Boyaga being on trial with them showed that. And the dude who shot him because of the "game", I didn't think it portrayed him as a good guy. Just stupid. That's why they all lied and then celebrated after. I just took it as portraying all three of them at different levels.[/spoil]

Nah, man.
The movie painted ALL the officers as bad guys with the exception of the one at the end that took the dude to the hospital. Even the state police knew Detroit police were violating civil rights but didn't wanna do **** cuz they didn't wanna get their hands dirty with civil rights bull****. Director didn't paint any sympathy at all. Whole movie just wanted to make you say F the police.

Back
Top Bottom