Did/Is anyone transfering to a 4 yr from a JC?

I am wondering because I really want to go to UC berkeley, but it doesn't look like I have a good enough resume as of right now (jr in HS) but I amconfident that at a JC, I would be able to make myself standout from the competition. And I would like to hear some success stories.
laugh.gif

from my perspective, i highly recommend going to a jc...i graduated in 06 with a low gpa and went straight to a local jc. took me 6 semesters and 2 summers buthey i got into berkeley. if you end up going to a jc, make sure you see a college counselor asap so they can get you on the right track and help you towards amajor.

I got to De Anza which is one of the best community colleges in California. I plan on getting out next year to UCLA or UCI, but Berkley is EXTREMELY hard toget into. It depends more on your major, but for the Business Admin major over there, the competition is just insane. Only a hand full of people get chosen andtheyre all pumping out 4.0's.

im trying to transfer to UC Irvine from a JC. you have to get your stuff together and not mess around like in HS if you want to transfer quick. going to to aJC saves money too. its gonna get more difficult/competitive to transfer though because of the budget cuts.

I have a friend that will be going through this coming soon. I'll tell you right now UC Berkeley or UCLA will not be easy to get into even from CC. But itis a lot easier than coming from HS. If you messed around in HS and are really seriuos about this. Do well in CC like 3.7-4.0 and you will have a good chanceat UC Berkeley. You will still have to work hard to get that. It is very easy though because the UC's give priority in transfers to CC students and it endsup working in your favor a lot. I would really suggest doing it if you don't get in to the place you want to go to and feel that you would have thedetermination to get the GPA for Berkeley.

And Haas is extremely hard to get into for anyone just so you know NIKERAINBOW, even for continuing Berkeley students Haas only lets in a certain amount ofthem and has spots left over for the CC students and other transfers. This means you wouldn't get the best students, but rather the best __ from Berkeleyand the best __ from CC's/Transfers. I would actually say it is easier for transfers to get in

I don't live in CA but yeah I did this route. I got accepted to University of Washington and its business program. JC or CC is a good place only if youknow what you're doing, don't be stuck in there for years like lots of these losers who think this is 13th grade. Do work!

Originally Posted by JoshNess

from my perspective, i highly recommend going to a jc...i graduated in 06 with a low gpa and went straight to a local jc. took me 6 semesters and 2 summers but hey i got into berkeley. if you end up going to a jc, make sure you see a college counselor asap so they can get you on the right track and help you towards a major.

Just out of curiousity what took you so long to transfer?

I did. All i can emphasize is after beginning your JC tour, get with an academic counselor OF THE SCHOOL YOU WANT TO GO TO to make sure you are takin thecorrect classes to get into your major of choice.

I didnt do this and the school i WANTED to go to wanted me to take 8 more classes (after already obtaining my aa) to get into the program i wanted. I went tothe school who would take ALL my credits and just graduated bout 3 weeks ago
smile.gif

I'll also add that your gpa from a jc isn't everything, and that extracurricular activities is a must. This includes sports, work, community service,tutoring, internships, and mentorships. My gpa was actually lower than the average admittance gpa. They want to see what you're doing besides studying,basically searching for leadership qualities. It also depends on your major and what you want to study.

Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan415

from my perspective, i highly recommend going to a jc...i graduated in 06 with a low gpa and went straight to a local jc. took me 6 semesters and 2 summers but hey i got into berkeley. if you end up going to a jc, make sure you see a college counselor asap so they can get you on the right track and help you towards a major.

Just out of curiousity what took you so long to transfer?

I didn't see a counselor right away and i took classes i already took in high school. So i basically wasted 2 semesters taking classes that didn'tcount. I think 2 years at a jc is possible but highly strenuous for any average student. Basically if you have all your stuff together, you can transfer in 4semesters and 1 summer.

Originally Posted by salbah3

I don't live in CA but yeah I did this route. I got accepted to University of Washington and its business program. JC or CC is a good place only if you know what you're doing, don't be stuck in there for years like lots of these losers who think this is 13th grade. Do work!

haha i was surrounded by people like that!

Yeah I did it, 2 years at JC, 2 years at Univ. of Oregon, graduating in a few weeks

I had the goal to go to Berkeley when I started out in JC. The most important thing is to stay in close contact with academic advisors, take whatever they tellyou to and get the best grades you can.

CC is pretty easy, certain schools require tons of credits to transfer others don't but i went to a CC for

one semester and now i'm going to kent state university just based off one CC semester, FAFSA paid

for it all too. Nothing like free school.

at my engineering commencement this past weekend I think the program said that it's something like 25% jc transfers make up the graduating class, soit's definitely a great opportunity

It's possible. Just do work.

I went to CCSF for 2 years right after I graduated high school and had a 3.8 gpa. Applied to UCLA and got in.

Graduated in 08 as a double major. No complaints here.

Basically, if you really want something, just work your *+!% off.

Im gonna be going to a JC in the fall and I want to end up transferring to SDSU as soon as possible.

Does anybody go there and how do you like it?

Originally Posted by salbah3

I don't live in CA but yeah I did this route. I got accepted to University of Washington and its business program. JC or CC is a good place only if you know what you're doing, don't be stuck in there for years like lots of these losers who think this is 13th grade. Do work!

haha i was surrounded by people like that!

Well i was kinda like that for runing start lol, just treating it like HS cause I was still in HS get my drift lol? But yeah I realized that i was wasting timeso i did what i had to do

i transferred after one year to a four year university. transferring is a relatively easy process (but im not sure what the UCal transferring process is like)and many schools actually reserve a number of spots for transfers. just make sure your grades are high enough, apply early and make sure all classes cantransfer and you should be good. the JuCo i went to was extremely easy and i left with a 3.5 GPA.

Originally Posted by EveryDayKicks

Im gonna be going to a JC in the fall and I want to end up transferring to SDSU as soon as possible.

Does anybody go there and how do you like it?

Went there this past year and it was alright. I think i might transfer to a CC next semester to hoop though. PM if you have specific Q's.

Back
Top Bottom