did macklemore just revolutionize rap marketing? vol. number 1 song in the country with no deal

Timing is everything.

Grassroots fanbase work put in over years.

Then drop a pop hip hop single that is a relatively fresh breathe of air after every other single being about wealth/etc.

But being white helps 'n hurts I have to imagine.  As several doors were prolly closed b/c he didn't fit what would work with a major label.

Not going major label until they want you is really the best way to come up nowadays.  I went to school with Chingo Bling and while 99% of ya'll have never heard of him he's released prolly 20 albums/mixtapes, worked his self independent then went major label in like 04.  But just went back to independent for the label he started so now he shares with nobody.  He's prolly more big fish/small pond but even he got lucky with timing as he came out of Houston and had the guys poppin that scene off in 03 on his mixtapes - Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Slim Thug, etc.  So yah, put the work in, get lucky, capitalize. 

Also luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

I would be very interested to know who's funding him tho b/c the video quality he's been putting out suggest either he was mad successful beforehand or even tho he may not have major label backing he's definitely got representation and probably investors.

As a young artist in comedy I see a lot of parallel to the game and hustle you see in both of these arts at the ground level.

Last edited:
he made a song about how he loves his gay uncle and standing up for gay rights... that got him booked on ellen degeneres' show, and he has a song called "jimmy iovine" and she told him she personally knows iovine and will send him the song. he got a call later from ellen telling him that iovine heard the song n wants to be in the music video

*shrugs* he a corny lame *** white dude to me. XXL freshman list of last year was his first major big look, and 6 months prior to that he had "wings" which was the music video about his friend getting killed over jordan IVs... paid a good publicist so that it ended up on every blog
seeing as almost everything new is corny im inclined to agree with ghostdirty 

for whoever said he's nice give me a quotable

Nah he didn't. All his success comes down to is making a song a lot of ppl will like A LOT, enough to support him.

I had a few of his projects before he got more well known and he's a good rapper. In the same vein as Slug.

Surprised at the number of people who haven't heard of Macklemore..Thrift Shop is a ok song,but judge a man off his body of work not just one single..The Heist is a damn good album.

if he had the same hook on thrift shop but talked about being a drug dealer or being a murderer on his verses, no one would know/care and probably have the same success
I don't know homie . . . that would be a pretty fruitcake instrumental to be talking about catching bodies on
laugh.gif

This has nothing to do with race, Childish Gambino or even Kid Cudi could be in Macklemore's place right now

if he had the same hook on thrift shop but talked about being a drug dealer or being a murderer on his verses, no one would know/care and probably have the same success

I don't know homie . . . that would be a pretty fruitcake instrumental to be talking about catching bodies on :lol:

This has nothing to do with race, Childish Gambino or even Kid Cudi could be in Macklemore's place right now
Nahh

Last edited:
gimmicky :rolleyes
i mean i'm from seattle and have been fed up with all this macklemore hype but imo cant knock his hustle, refreshing hearing someone spit something different than the usual money, girls, n drugs. *ye shrug*

still, eff thrift shop :lol:

I enjoyed Thrift Shop, I've been listening to Macklemore for a couple years now, and yeah it's different, but it's also a "fun" song.

The play it's getting on the radio is OD though.

This isn't a new "trend" at all.

Drake - He got some help from his Degrassi days and his early collabs. He caught the "progressive" hip hop train at the beginning and has been dictating a lot of the stops it makes (metaphorically speaking of course 
laugh.gif
)

Trinidad James (Dear God why?) - Ratchet a** music seems to be hott right now for some ungodly reason. 

Macklemore

Listeners are getting tired of the mainstream crap that Clearchannel and Viacomm perpetuate and are branching out their tastes to include a lot more "Indy" artists. Some end up getting lucky. Honestly, Macklemore was able to take a mainstream type of a song, twist it into something comical and capitalize off of the buzz.

Meh. He's a decent white rapper with a message. Flobots tried it about five years ago and faded away quick. This dude might stay around for a minute but it's nothing revolutionary. And Thrift Shop is not original. Mountain Brothers already did that concept back in '98 with "Brand Names" and its a much better song.

Macklemore is :pimp:
Dudes music has substance.
The heist has been on repeat.

Im going to paid dues in san bernadino is anybody else going? Hes performing :pimp:

Agreed that 'Wings' is trash - on the same level as Nelly's 'Air Force Ones' and 'Step on my Jayz' but it's the anthem for all these 'New Jack' JB stans.

I'm guessing you just listened to the first verse and skipped the rest since he switches it up and delivers a powerful message that will make you question your beliefs. Wings made me realize the pointlessness of the "shoe game" I haven't bought a pair of "jays" since then. Its because of Macklemore that I've been clean and sober for over a year now.

Last edited:
Dude has been doing this for years and has gathered a nice sized fan base because of it. Don't see why his buzz as of late is coming off as a surprise.

Agreed that 'Wings' is trash - on the same level as Nelly's 'Air Force Ones' and 'Step on my Jayz' but it's the anthem for all these 'New Jack' JB stans.

I'm guessing you just listened to the first verse and skipped the rest since he switches it up and delivers a powerful message that will make you question your beliefs. Wings made me realize the pointlessness of the "shoe game" I haven't bought a pair of "jays" since then. Its because of Macklemore that I've been clean and sober for over a year now.
... is this supposed to change the fact how entirely corny the way dude executed it? the way he raps, flows, vocal-tone/accent, the way he acts and carries himself... is just so corn. he has no rap-presence to me, he just comes off corny as hell to me. that's just my opinion though, so don't take it objectively or as a pushed fact. like honestly i dont care what the message is, millions of people have messages in the world, but how many of them can execute it like 'Pac did? how many of them can make you feel it in your gut.. how many of them can make u feel it like Nas? i feel like macklemore doesn't have that factor of what MC's who had a message have... the greatness factor. and when you lack that great factor in you, u just seem like a really try-hard cornball .. (TO ME). hope i've explained myself correctly.
Pretty much. Also, it says more about you that you needed a song for you to stop buying sneakers. You're that easily influenced and persuaded?

Pretty much. Also, it says more about you that you needed a song for you to stop buying sneakers. You're that easily influenced and persuaded?

... is this supposed to change the fact how entirely corny the way dude executed it? the way he raps, flows, vocal-tone/accent, the way he acts and carries himself... is just so corn. he has no rap-presence to me, he just comes off corny as hell to me. that's just my opinion though, so don't take it objectively or as a pushed fact. like honestly i dont care what the message is, millions of people have messages in the world, but how many of them can execute it like 'Pac did? how many of them can make you feel it in your gut.. how many of them can make u feel it like Nas? i feel like macklemore doesn't have that factor of what MC's who had a message have... the greatness factor. and when you lack that great factor in you, u just seem like a really try-hard cornball .. (TO ME). hope i've explained myself correctly.

all of this.
dude saying that Macklemore made him change his beliefs and stop buying Jays is lulz.
if you've been buying Jays and doing drugs, but your saving grace was a 3-4 minute song...then you don't really have much conviction and that says more about you than it does about anyone in this forum's musically taste or opinion of Macklemore.

all of this.
dude saying that Macklemore made him change his beliefs and stop buying Jays is lulz.
if you've been buying Jays and doing drugs, but your saving grace was a 3-4 minute song...then you don't really have much conviction and that says more about you than it does about anyone in this forum's musically taste or opinion of Macklemore.
Cosign

What's funny is this _ Macklemore still wearing jays his damn self 
laugh.gif

That's why I couldn't figure out why he tryna make commentary on conspicuous consumption in Thrift Shop when he got a pair $200 shoes on his feet 
eyes.gif

I was surprised that the NBA picked that Wings song up because of their relationship with Nike, then I saw that he straight removed all the lyrics bashing Nike and about his friend that got murdered 
mean.gif

All that anti-capitalist **** went out the window when the NBA pulled that checkbook out 
roll.gif

Everyone hating (or yall just dont understand music besides rap)

theres plenty of good music out there besides one genre, go try it.

macklemore puts on a great show live...one of the best ive seen.

Dude looks like Mickey or w/e his name was from that 2gether show... :lol:

I just can't even attempt to listen to him based off that... and I'm white... is that bad?

Back
Top Bottom