Didn't Know The Poverty Line Was That Bad........

You always here about American poverty but the numbers are mind blowing. Poverty line is set at $22,314 for a family of 4 and $11,139 for single persons. I couldn't imagine living off $22,000 a year by myself let alone a family of 4. FYI 13.7% of Americans, thats's 46.2M Americans are living in poverty. Also Blacks carry the highest rate per race at 27.4%. This makes sad but grateful at the same time.....

The world isn't really in great shape right now....
ohwell.gif

it's bad but it does not even compare to what people in developing countries are faced with daily

Americans have no idea how bad it truly is outside of the states

It is a shame, but look up the stats on how many Americans are receiving some form of help ( i.e. food stamps, etc.) that is scary

Originally Posted by 51and3rd

You always here about American poverty but the numbers are mind blowing. Poverty line is set at $22,314 for a family of 4 and $11,139 for single persons. I couldn't imagine living off $22,000 a year by myself let alone a family of 4. FYI 13.7% of Americans, thats's 46.2M Americans are living in poverty. Also Blacks carry the highest rate per race at 27.4%. This makes sad but grateful at the same time.....
Okay, since you are the one who brought this fact up, why do you think that is?

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

Originally Posted by 51and3rd

Okay, since you are the one who brought this fact up, why do you think that is?

You gotta be a lil more specific.......

The reason I ask is because that sentence stands out from the rest of the paragraph.  As if it was thrown in at the last minute.
We're all friends here, feel free to extrapolate on your opinion.

I'm black so that was an important stat to me, I'd love to go over the hundred reasons why I think we are there but I honestly didn't mean to turn this into a race thing, just didn't know the amount of money to be considered in poverty was so low. If you ever start a race thread I'd be glad to vent there lol

Ok.  I just came from the herpes thread, where some mental ****** tried to forge an illusory correlation between race and instances of the herp.
Carry on.

12,000 a year alone isn't that bad actually. Try living of a bag of rice a day if you're lucky.

Well as for the 12,000 that's about $600 for a room, $150 for groceries, $100 for bills. You have about $150 left for yourself. Some cable & a phone bill.

Originally Posted by KillTheHype

12,000 a year alone isn't that bad actually. Try living of a bag of rice a day if you're lucky.

Well as for the 12,000 that's about $600 for a room, $150 for groceries, $100 for bills. You have about $150 left for yourself. Some cable & a phone bill.

100 Dollars for bills? lol more like for A Bill.

Originally Posted by KillTheHype

Lol do you live on your own?

Americans have a different level of "poor". The video above is just one example. I was watching a true life episode the other day about families struggling. They all had cell phones, cable and laptops shown in the show. They were also worried they would lose their house or get kicked out of their apartment.

Priorities...I live pretty well and I am cutting things just because I have found that I don't need them. Cable being one.

People think they need lots of stuff..Priorities

What was the point of this thread?

Humble brag in disguise?

Another race thread to highlight another "failure" of the black community?

Back
Top Bottom