Digital Nomad / Expat Life

Creating a central thread to help people who already are or thinking about becoming DN/Expat.

Currently living in Colombia at the moment. I’ve been living out of the US for about 4 years now. Don’t think I ever see myself living in the US again.

I’m happy to share any knowledge I’ve accumulated along the way and willfully others can chip in with their experiences as well.

Looking to do the same come next year. I have everything in place. I believe I’m going to start either in South Africa or Argentina.

My plan is to stay in a different country for about 2-3 weeks at a time as I move around and explore. Nothing is going to be permanent for me in the next 2 years.

Last edited:
I was an airport mechanic the last 10 years so I moved around the US. Lived in 9 states from 2013-2016. Definitely wanted to go over seas.
But I’ve been to 38 states in the process. Moved to a new state with a promise of a job and $800 in my account. Contracting. Was doing hotels, paid hotels sometimes or any friends/family I had, or Craigslist.

Still thinking about going over seas to contract and bounce around every 6 months.
Just had a homie come back from Dubai

I lived abroad in South Korea for about 4.5 years - some of the best times in my life.

How do you deal with having a permanent address and phone number in the US for mail, taxes, etc?

And what do you do for health insurance?

Thinking about packing up from the states again i. the next year or two and moving abroad again (but this time with a wife and baby).

For me - I’m going to get a P.O. Box or use my Airbnb property address - I work 100% remote for the last 7 years so I’m covered insurance wise. I work for an international organization - so I’ll be able to make that work. If I need to - I’ll just fly back in on the appointment date.

Creating a central thread to help people who already are or thinking about becoming DN/Expat.

Currently living in Colombia at the moment. I’ve been living out of the US for about 4 years now. Don’t think I ever see myself living in the US again.

I’m happy to share any knowledge I’ve accumulated along the way and willfully others can chip in with their experiences as well.
I'm assuming you're a cloud architect?

Back
Top Bottom