Discoloration on Jordan IV 2008 DMP Retro Heal tab

Sorry if this has been discussed before.  Did a google search and a search here and didn't see anything.
So I cracked open my Black/Red 2008 DMP Jordan IV retros a few minutes ago and was shocked to find the left shoe heal tab a completely different color than the right shoe.  Obviously both should be black, but the one on the left has a weird bronzy/gold metallic look to it.  These are only 3 years old, and if memory serves me right I've only worn them once.  I honestly don't even remember wearing them, but soles clearly show that I did.

Is this common or has it happened to anyone else?  What could have caused it?  I've seen OG's with heal tabs not discolored, and I own plastic toys that are over 30 years old where this hasn't happened.  I store my shoes in my laundry room, doesn't really get too hot or cold in their, basically room temperature.  Haven't had this issue with any other kicks and I own quite a few pairs.  Any insight would be appreciated...

Sorry if this has been discussed before.  Did a google search and a search here and didn't see anything.
So I cracked open my Black/Red 2008 DMP Jordan IV retros a few minutes ago and was shocked to find the left shoe heal tab a completely different color than the right shoe.  Obviously both should be black, but the one on the left has a weird bronzy/gold metallic look to it.  These are only 3 years old, and if memory serves me right I've only worn them once.  I honestly don't even remember wearing them, but soles clearly show that I did.

Is this common or has it happened to anyone else?  What could have caused it?  I've seen OG's with heal tabs not discolored, and I own plastic toys that are over 30 years old where this hasn't happened.  I store my shoes in my laundry room, doesn't really get too hot or cold in their, basically room temperature.  Haven't had this issue with any other kicks and I own quite a few pairs.  Any insight would be appreciated...

Ohhhh Those are Jordan IV CDP's
Yellowing already? too bad...
I just double checked mine and still neat and clean...

Ohhhh Those are Jordan IV CDP's
Yellowing already? too bad...
I just double checked mine and still neat and clean...

6da369f26e659f83b4932fb5f929a5b0d41f2f47_r.png

Not "heal" tabs and not DMP's.

* Grabs pair & checks.. *

Alright I'm good.

OP does the "Paper" in the box touch any portion of the shoe?
If so it might be that..

I personally keep a box full of "Papers" that come with shoes and keep them in a box.. Got a box full of folded up shoe "Papers"..

From experience, I've had multiple pairs Yellow or get Discolored due to the "Paper" alone..

I've never seen it happen to a heel tab though..

Thanks for sharing..
Hopefully someone on NT could shed some light on how you could fix this problem.

* Grabs pair & checks.. *

Alright I'm good.

OP does the "Paper" in the box touch any portion of the shoe?
If so it might be that..

I personally keep a box full of "Papers" that come with shoes and keep them in a box.. Got a box full of folded up shoe "Papers"..

From experience, I've had multiple pairs Yellow or get Discolored due to the "Paper" alone..

I've never seen it happen to a heel tab though..

Thanks for sharing..
Hopefully someone on NT could shed some light on how you could fix this problem.

Originally Posted by PTone

Oh, Sorry boss.  Thanks for adding to the thread though.
eyes.gif
  If a mod wants to correct my spelling and change DMP to CDP that would be great.
The paper would likely be touching the shoes in the box.  I leave the paper in all my shoe boxes.  Does Nike not use acid free paper.  Should I always  remove the paper?  I imagine the cardboard box would also not be acid free if the paper isn't.This hasn't happened yet to my Mars IV's which I think are at least a year or two older.  

Could the laundry room storage be  a problem?  Does anyone else store their collections in their laundry room?  I guess temperature could fluctuate in their a bit.  Never gave it thought before.  Really have no where else to move the collection to. 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by PTone

Oh, Sorry boss.  Thanks for adding to the thread though.
eyes.gif
  If a mod wants to correct my spelling and change DMP to CDP that would be great.
The paper would likely be touching the shoes in the box.  I leave the paper in all my shoe boxes.  Does Nike not use acid free paper.  Should I always  remove the paper?  I imagine the cardboard box would also not be acid free if the paper isn't.This hasn't happened yet to my Mars IV's which I think are at least a year or two older.  

Could the laundry room storage be  a problem?  Does anyone else store their collections in their laundry room?  I guess temperature could fluctuate in their a bit.  Never gave it thought before.  Really have no where else to move the collection to. 
frown.gif

In my opinion the cdp where the worst thing that ever happened as far as quality to Jordan brand. But yes the paper can effect yellowing and so can the humidity from the laundry room. I suggest take out the paper toss some silica gel packs in the boxes, they suck up the moisture. And move them to a less humid room and if you can't hang a damprid. They sell those at home depot in the paint section.

In my opinion the cdp where the worst thing that ever happened as far as quality to Jordan brand. But yes the paper can effect yellowing and so can the humidity from the laundry room. I suggest take out the paper toss some silica gel packs in the boxes, they suck up the moisture. And move them to a less humid room and if you can't hang a damprid. They sell those at home depot in the paint section.

It still seems really weird that this would only happen to this pair and not the Mars IV's I had much longer.  Guess the plastic could have been sourced from somewhere else, or the paper could have had a higher acid level, but you would think other people might be seeing this problem as well.

Not the end of the world, but pretty dissapointed for the amount these two packs cost, and they aren't even that old yet.

It still seems really weird that this would only happen to this pair and not the Mars IV's I had much longer.  Guess the plastic could have been sourced from somewhere else, or the paper could have had a higher acid level, but you would think other people might be seeing this problem as well.

Not the end of the world, but pretty dissapointed for the amount these two packs cost, and they aren't even that old yet.

it is the variation of relative humidity in the laundry room you use to store
change rooms and don't worry about the CDP box paper, leave it
the plastic is thin and cheap so it absorbs the impurites in the air moist then 'sweats'
them back out into the dry air causing discoloration and ultimately deterioration

i also suggest to not start using silicia packs (with this pair) since it has already
gone through humidity highs and lows - and it will be even more likely that the
packs will just suck them dry

or don't listen to me at all

it is the variation of relative humidity in the laundry room you use to store
change rooms and don't worry about the CDP box paper, leave it
the plastic is thin and cheap so it absorbs the impurites in the air moist then 'sweats'
them back out into the dry air causing discoloration and ultimately deterioration

i also suggest to not start using silicia packs (with this pair) since it has already
gone through humidity highs and lows - and it will be even more likely that the
packs will just suck them dry

or don't listen to me at all

Thanks for your thoughts Rhino.

I store my whole collection in the laundry room without much thought. I leave the paper in all my shoe boxes, and many of boxes already contained silica packs. For some reason this box never got one. Do you think I should avoid putting silica packs now in any boxes that didn't have them before?

Should paper always be removed from the shoe boxes? That one is new to me.

This has me wanting to sell off a good chunk of the collection and stop buying so much. Shouldn't have to store shoes in a safe to keep them fresh.  The temperature in the laundry room really doesn't change too much.  It's a fairly big sized room so I wouldn't think it would have affected them like this. 
frown.gif

Thanks for your thoughts Rhino.

I store my whole collection in the laundry room without much thought. I leave the paper in all my shoe boxes, and many of boxes already contained silica packs. For some reason this box never got one. Do you think I should avoid putting silica packs now in any boxes that didn't have them before?

Should paper always be removed from the shoe boxes? That one is new to me.

This has me wanting to sell off a good chunk of the collection and stop buying so much. Shouldn't have to store shoes in a safe to keep them fresh.  The temperature in the laundry room really doesn't change too much.  It's a fairly big sized room so I wouldn't think it would have affected them like this. 
frown.gif

i don't mess with silicia packs (and I would only take advice from someone who wears their kicks cause that what i do with mine)
they contribute negatively to wearability
but for resellers - they do extend the duration a shoe stays white/clear
if your a reseller or not sure or whatever - i'm not the one

they dry shoes out and speed up cracking on DS pairs
but if one is planning on selling the pair years down the line,
who cares about that - you just want your pics to come out good
and for the customer to see a fresh looking pair out the box

it comes down to storage (dark, average humidity with little variation, with some mild air circulation)

And I agree - throws a wrench into the system.

i don't mess with silicia packs (and I would only take advice from someone who wears their kicks cause that what i do with mine)
they contribute negatively to wearability
but for resellers - they do extend the duration a shoe stays white/clear
if your a reseller or not sure or whatever - i'm not the one

they dry shoes out and speed up cracking on DS pairs
but if one is planning on selling the pair years down the line,
who cares about that - you just want your pics to come out good
and for the customer to see a fresh looking pair out the box

it comes down to storage (dark, average humidity with little variation, with some mild air circulation)

And I agree - throws a wrench into the system.

I don't have these but I have the flip 3's completely different shoe, i know, but the white tab on the back is yellowing and its pissing me off.  You would think a sneaker that costs 150 dollars wouldn't do something as yellow after a couple years...
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom