[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

Not going to lie. It's an addiction.

There's a rush like when you first stick a needle and inject yourself with heroin or that first puff of crack rock.

I sold nearly $10k worth of sneakers during the pandemy but now I also doubled up on collabs, such as unions, off whites, etc. Sometimes I forgot I had multiple bids and won several pairs and just kept them all.

I will always cop a sneaker or two a year, usually 1 high end and a nike retro tbh.

I just rarely some across a sneaker that I like enough to cop, with work M-F and the rare time I go out its usually boots for me now. Welcome to the club bro! Feels good to have less and consume less at the same time.

In my teens/20's had upwards of 60+ shoes. Now, I have around 20 sneakers/sandals/boots still and eventually it will dwindle down to 10 or so. The shoe head in me won't ever let it get to less than that most likely.

Last edited:
Nothing has been more fulfilling closet wise then having to not sift through 30-50 boxes and figuring out what to wear. I would NEVER go back to that lifestyle ever again.
That's for damn sure. Starting to realize if there's a thing called the "Front Door method." If not, that should be coined.
Come to think of it, the "Front Door" method is extremely helpful for things other than shoes like clothes or watches/accessories. It's definitely a useful trick. Turns 20 minutes of picking/choosing clothes and shoes into 2 minutes or less.

There's a rush like when you first stick a needle and inject yourself with heroin or that first puff of crack rock.

I sold nearly $10k worth of sneakers during the pandemy but now I also doubled up on collabs, such as unions, off whites, etc. Sometimes I forgot I had multiple bids and won several pairs and just kept them all.
I'll be honest and will admit that it turned into a true addiction for me, especially with that rush feeling you just mentioned. My last spending spree was what really became my latest and worst tipping point back in July. I sold/returned all but two pairs, which were the least impulsive ones.

Then I just went on a researching spree and found these two posts about how the environment is much stronger than one's willpower. These two posts could be helpful for anyone, really. It's been extremely helpful for me.

Then I revisited a J Cole interview with Angie Martinez, and if you take this example about social events and drinking, and apply it with sneakers, it is SO SPOT ON. Like, to recognize and verbalize what you're going through and feeling. It's almost as if you can literally see what's going on with you when you put it out.

Last edited:
I will always cop a sneaker or two a year, usually 1 high end and a nike retro tbh.

I just rarely some across a sneaker that I like enough to cop, with work M-F and the rare time I go out its usually boots for me now. Welcome to the club bro! Feels good to have less and consume less at the same time.

In my teens/20's had upwards of 60+ shoes. Now, I have around 20 sneakers/sandals/boots still and eventually it will dwindle down to 10 or so. The shoe head in me won't ever let it get to less than that most likely.
Yeah, it feels so good to have less. Consuming less is what I'm trying to work on for sure. Definitely hoping to have around 10, but 10-15 is just about right for me.

once I realized that it made no sense in buying shoes just because and having them sit in boxes just collecting dust, I decided that I needed to slow it down. It’s odd, I’m 34 and now that I have more disposable income and can essentially buy what I want, I find myself buying less shoes than say my 20’s when money was tighter. I guess my priorities have shifted and having kids has contributed to that.

Don’t get me wrong I still like shoes and will buy some every now and then but don’t feel that impulse to have to get every new release. The older I’ve gotten I’ve realized that I’m not trying to impress anyone with what I have on my feet because half the time people don’t notice or care. I guess it’s time for me to hop in the washed thread.

As I've gotten older I realize I have fewer opportunities to rock different sneakers. I'm no longer at my old job where they were cool with us wearing sneakers in the office and my work's been primarily virtual since the pandemic anyways. Feel like most of my time out of the house is spent on a court/field playing sports or at a restaurant/bar where you either have to wear specific shoes or rule out other shoes.

My sneaker purchases have slowed to about two pairs per year. And that's including shoes I use for hoops/running. It's just not practical to buy a pair of $200 Jordans knowing I wear the two pairs of Js I have a combined 10 times per year. Could get a pair of Stan Smiths to beat and a pair of NB550s for the same price and both are much more versatile.

I don't have a crazy collection, but I have enough pairs in good condition to where I'm able to rotate and get longevity out of what I do have. I've sold a few over the years that weren't beat and still had value, but I really don't have much that I no longer wear and are worth selling.

Good carryover thread us3less us3less :nthat:.

I already shared the details of my sneaker journey in the AM1 thread, but the long and short is that I’m averaging 1 pair a quarter/4 per year. Have about 8 pairs total and don’t think I’ll ever exceed 12-15 pairs total again.

But the biggest thing for me is how much sneakers in general has changed.

I’m an old head (41) so I remember when shoes was just about personally being fly and wanting to rock heat. Now it’s more about showing off to others or botting: very little in between.

Even older cats out hear looking/sounding goofy saying things like “those are bricks” of “I only rock heat on xyz day.” :smh:

There never used to be bricks; was just different kicks/different styles. It never mattered what resell was because shoes were meant to be worn to the ground.

Sneakers aren’t really about sneakers anymore. Too much gatekeeping, too much greed and manipulation, to much pride and boasting. None of this is good my my mental/spiritual, so I asked myself “why bother?”

The companies/retailers have helped pushed me out the door as well. Buying shoes in ‘23 is way harder than it should be. Most people only want “heat” or things they can flip. Stopped entering raffles cause I don’t win them. SNKRS don’t love me so it’s actually easy for me to not cop :smh:. Had to leave a discord I was in though. Feels good:D

It's still a bunch of shoes you can cop without hassle and high resale. It really depends on your taste and what you're looking for.

I'm a retro basketball shoe fan first and foremost. 2022 I was able to get at least 20 pairs for retail or under like Penny 1's, Lebron retros, Questions, Fire Red 3's just to name a few. If you're someone who only goes for the hyped limited stuff then yeah it will be mostly L's.

2023 I already have KD 3's, Lebron 7's, Foams, and Nike Flight Huaraches on my radar. Only shoes that I think may be a problem will be the 3's in March and the blck/white 85's.

This might be a bit of a lengthy post. But I was talking to my 20 year old son about this topic a week or so ago, as he picked up the sneaker habit from me.

Over the last few years I’ve been prioritizing memories over material stuff. Like ima go on that trip, ima go to that game or concert, ima try that fancy restaurant and ima just enjoy life. And to be honest, sneaker purchases take away from other fun things I can be doing with my disposable income.

I gotta be real with myself too though. Sneakers have always been something I enjoyed going way back to when I was in elementary school. I’m getting close to 40. The interest in sneakers, especially retro sneakers from my childhood/teenage years is going to remain with me even when I’m old. The sneaker enthusiasm is a part of who I am and I don’t think I can just shut that out completely. But I can control my buying and purchasing habits.

I’ve been selling off pairs and consolidating in some capacity for the last decade or so. While still diving in and coming back for more on certain releases. But there’s no point in having a closet full of sneaker boxes and bunch of stuff I never wear that’s going to eventually fall apart. Like I’ll make it a priority to wear my stuff and not get concerned about potentially messing it up.

But in terms of downsizing and getting rid of stuff. I recommend it. I made a good chunk of change when I started selling off my stuff. Which went to plenty of worthwhile things. There’s so much more to life than collecting something which sits in your closet most the time. When you start downsizing and seeing the extra money come in. You definitely view things differently.

I keep track of what’s being released still. I’ll get a few pairs every year. But it’s not the end of the world if I don’t hit on a release. I’m not going to jump through hoops to land a pair. And I’m more mindful of the fact that $200 plus tax on sneakers could go toward so many other cool and beneficial things that that does influence any potential purchasing decisions.

Seeing this discussion pop up in AM1 thread was very timely as I was having these thoughts lately. Currently I must have 70 pairs laying around....nothing really hyped as I always just bought things that appealed to me. I've gone through various phases of different brands/styles from mostly AM90/AM1 to random Asics/Saucony/Adidas. Everything has been worn but as I progressed through certain pairs some just sit due to losing their appeal or not being as comfortable as some newer styles.

On the road to downsize but have no idea the worth/value of getting rid of AM90s from like 2010 that still have life, but don't want to keep them around just to let sit. Still want to get something out of them to help fund other things.

Been meaning to rid myself of the clutter and this discussion got me to finally list 7 pairs of random DS Yeezys I won from raffles that were always to flip, but just got lazy and at this point even taking a small loss is worth it to free up the mental/physical space of them.

Sadly....even though the thought of downsizing has been with me for a bit...I recently picked up my first NBs, 3 at that.....Trying to be strict though and it's worked as I haven't FOMO'd into the recent AM1s like I would have in the past.

To be honest I never really collected sneakers. I joined NT for general forum and have loved it ever since. I only have about 20 pairs of Js but I buy sneakers to wear them not to collect them.

love this thread. I think im close to letting alot of my sneakers go.

Sometimes I sell them when i know they either too old or just keep some to play basketball.

I enjoyed this discussion in the AM1 thread, so I'm glad to see a whole thread dedicated to it. I made it a goal this year to be more minimalistic with sneakers. In 2022, I must have bought and sold over 100 pairs (not for resell, but just to have more funds and space). I hated spending money that I didn't need to and not having enough space. I learned a few things about my spending/collecting habits:
  • I fall too much into the trap of buying during big sales. Like when a shop is having a 50% off sale, I would convince myself that I should get something because they'll never be this cheap again.
  • I need to focus on only certain models, like Air Maxes. Someone else said it in this thread, but I once had a goal to collect one of every Jordan model 1-23, or every Kobe Protro. After a while it becomes too much, especially when you strike out on retail.
  • The thrill of finding a great deal or a grail was sometimes more fun to me than the actual shoe
Right now, I am at about 80 pairs of mostly GR Nike AMs and Asics. I want to get down to around 30 one day, but it's going to be a process of picking and choosing which to let go. I already cleared my closet of a good amount of pairs and it feels good to actually have more space to walk in lol.

I'm subbing to this thread to hear more ideas and how everyone else goes about their downsizing!

Great responses everyone, really enjoy different perspectives on the topic.

I too am looking to downsize my collection quite a bit. With a collection at over a 100 pairs, I find myself always reaching for the same few pairs (especially with comfort being so important to my daily wears).

That coupled with getting married recently has made me take a step back and realizing that having this many shoes I realistically wont get around to wearing much isn't something practical for me as I've gotten older.

Only downside with moving pairs now, is with the market what it is, it seems like moving stuff like DS GR's is increasingly difficult unless your willing to sell at a huge discount.

Last edited:

did ur sneaker sales turn into a porsche?

Most I’ve ever had at once was maybe 40-50 pairs. Having that many shoes was a straight hassle when I was bouncing between apartments. Then it was an issue of practicality since I worked an office job. Final straw was midsoles crumbling on a few of my favorite pairs. Then I realized some were pushing 15-20 years old and they simply don’t last forever.

I’ve started buying sneakers here and there but still rotate between the same 3-4 pairs mostly. Still haven’t worn my Flint XIIIs smh…

Really glad this post has been inspiring! 👍 Yeah, priorities in life and also just the maturation process for a lot of us really just turns things into different perspectives. I'll be honest, I went through a few splurging phases only to sell/return them and learn something new every time as a takeaway lesson. At the end of it all, there really/truly is no end goal. I feel like social media also created a false narrative that there is some sort of end goal, but there isn't once someone finds out what true happiness is.

Definitely a big cosign on life experiences too cedric ceballos cedric ceballos . They definitely matter way more, because within an experience, you're so concentrated on what's happening in the present time and have so many other things to look forward to. I would not think that someone would go on vacation for 7 days and spend all that time thinking, "wow, my shoes look great. Look at my shoes, everyone. Don't my shoes look great?"

As for selling shoes at a lesser price than preferred, I think a few of us mentioned this already, but the peace of mind you get from just having them gone is just far more beneficial, to me at least. For me, it's because it's one less shoe having control of me, so it's almost like a middle finger to the shoe (and maybe the brand) by saying "get out and **** the hell off, will you?"

aquatic barefoot aquatic barefoot - Thank you, sir! Yeah, sneakers are so different now because of social media, StockX (ESPECIALLY THEM), and the way Nike/Jordan Brand has really vamped up their marketing. At the end of the day, all these platforms puts something on a pedestal so high that it just takes us to mentally go higher than their level to really realize that it's just shoes at the end of the day.

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of JOMO? My friend (who I just recently reconnected with after 11 years) was telling me about "JOMO," which is the joy of missing out. I've never heard of that, but that's a great counter mindset to FOMO since Nike/Jordan and all of social media has created and taken advantage of all this FOMO marketing.

My joys of missing out on sneakers: more space, more money to save/invest/spend on better things, less stress, more control of life, better prioritization... I'm sure there's gotta be a lot more benefits than what I just listed.

Also, does anyone listen to/watch those personal finance/financial literacy channels/shows on YouTube or Spotify for inspiration to be more selective at the least? I don't know if this might be a bit too much as money sometimes be an uncomfortable topic for some, but I highly highly HIGHLY doubt any of you guys are this nuts to be in this position:

Also, there's another video of someone who is actually OVER $1 million in debt (all student loans though).

I'll also update the original post with some resources/tips that's been shared throughout the pages for those who are looking to keep this motivation going/growing or for those who aspire to reach this point one day.

For anyone subbed to this topic, I updated the original post with tips/resources all curated from anecdotes/stories posted here and examples. Let me know if there should be any others to add! The Tips section can also be done chronologically for those who aspire to downsize/minimize one day. :emoji_thumbsup:

For anyone subbed to this topic, I updated the original post with tips/resources all curated from anecdotes/stories posted here and examples. Let me know if there should be any others to add! The Tips section can also be done chronologically for those who aspire to downsize/minimize one day. :emoji_thumbsup:

"Spatial awareness" but yeah wow that is really well done! Good for you trying to help folks manage this stuff.

I think if there was a way to sell locally without fees/drama I'd go down about 20 pairs. I always wear my shoes, it's just a matter of time/opportunity. I'm not a collect just to collect type of person. I got my sneakerhead status involuntarily. If I wasn't a big footer I wouldn't even be on here. But the game gets flipped when you have big feet and rather than going into a store asking for the shoe you want in your size you're reduced to picking 3-4 shoes and asking if they have any of them in your size and typically the answer is no. So you start grabbing anything available the moment you can, because it's not an option to "wait for disco". :smh:

Guy on the other end of my cul-de-sac has a shoe program at the elementary school he volunteers at. Kids can ‘buy’ shoes at the store at school. I’ve donated probably 15 pairs and it is one of the best things I have done in recent years.
462396A9-7951-4ECE-B7D9-EC245F9955AA.jpeg

any good rec's for resoling/restoring? I have quite a bit of sneakers that have crumbled over the years. I figured it might be cost efficient to restore instead of buying new.

"Spatial awareness" but yeah wow that is really well done! Good for you trying to help folks manage this stuff.

I think if there was a way to sell locally without fees/drama I'd go down about 20 pairs. I always wear my shoes, it's just a matter of time/opportunity. I'm not a collect just to collect type of person. I got my sneakerhead status involuntarily. If I wasn't a big footer I wouldn't even be on here. But the game gets flipped when you have big feet and rather than going into a store asking for the shoe you want in your size you're reduced to picking 3-4 shoes and asking if they have any of them in your size and typically the answer is no. So you start grabbing anything available the moment you can, because it's not an option to "wait for disco". :smh:

Thank you! Yeah I know what you mean - sometimes the hassle gets overwhelming with either flakers and/or lowballers.

Guy on the other end of my cul-de-sac has a shoe program at the elementary school he volunteers at. Kids can ‘buy’ shoes at the store at school. I’ve donated probably 15 pairs and it is one of the best things I have done in recent years.
462396A9-7951-4ECE-B7D9-EC245F9955AA.jpeg
That's dope! It definitely does feel more rewarding passing on the shoes you own to someone else, especially those in need, for real.

any good rec's for resoling/restoring? I have quite a bit of sneakers that have crumbled over the years. I figured it might be cost efficient to restore instead of buying new.
Great idea there! Hmm, for some reason, I can only think of govrn_ (the guy who does a lot of sole-swapping), but I don't know if he does restorations without having the 2nd shoe provided.

Like someone said above, it's when you move flats/house that you realise that you have way too many shoes.
I did move 5 months ago and just took 8 pairs with me and left the rest in storage. I left about 100 pairs.
I bought 7 pairs in the past 5 months... even though I barely all of the 8 pairs I brought...

It's hard to move away completely for me, even if I narrow down to 25-30 pairs. I mostly wear AM1s and NBs, but as a guy who played basketball, I had to grab the Lebron XX TM and want to get the Jordan 36, and I want a pair of Luka 1s and Ja 1s.

I think that I am passed the phase where I was "obsessed" and would just buy to buy and would not wear. Maybe the solution for me is:
- to wear what I buy ASAP and give/sell them after a while (once I don't like them anymore) trying to keep the number of pairs relatively low
- even if they look good, if it's not really comfortable, return/sell them
- to only keep pairs that I can wear on a daily basis if needed and that goes with most of my wardrobe. No more of shoes that go with just 1 fit and that I wear once a year.
- if I miss on a pair (raffle or regular release), I won't buy resell (unless I stumble upon them below retail) but I won't pay more than retail and move on. There are too many releases for me to pay resell for anything. Retail or bust.

Good progression seb87 seb87 ! I think a lot of us have hit that fatigue in general, too, especially for the last reason you mentioned. There are way too many releases each week now.

Back
Top Bottom