[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

I love all the positive vibes that everyone is sharing and supporting. I relate to almost every single thing y'all been talking about lol

I've been on my journey of downsizing since the pandemic. It gets hard because our whole society is feeding us nonstop messages of not just buy sneakers but buying everything lol. I suffered from materialism for so long, craving that validation from others and thinking every sneaker purchase will make me complete when in reality it made me more and more insecure and distracting me from the important things in life.

I highly recommend the minimalists. I found these guys on YouTube and their journey and messages have really played a significant part of helping me wake up and stop not just buying sneakers but buying materialistic stuff.

This is their podcast https://youtube.com/@TheMinimalistsPodcast

They also have books and a great documentary on Netflix
Thanks for this....very insightful....one of the things they said was, it's funny how we don't want to just tell people who we are, we need the brands to say it for us....

Good read. So my standpoint: just my opinion

We all lived in different era’s. So we will all have our opinions, I consider kicks like Marvel cards/ comic books, all have their worth when the time comes.

If there was a safe relatively simple fee-free or minimal fee way of selling shoes locally that wasn't facebook marketplace, I'd sell about half the shoes I own. I've been thinking about going the craigslist route and just meeting up at a police station or something. I'm doing garage sale stuff, not selling Jordans, so I'm not trying to have to file stuff on my taxes.

I want to get rid of 3/4 of my collection but didn't know how to go about it especially with the new $600 tax threshold for filing. You guys kept/have receipts/confirmation emails for the each pair sold and just report the profits made with the paperwork from ebay/goat/stock afterwards?

I started collecting during the boost hype and went in on colorways. I know majority of those would be at a loss
So does anyone know how this going to work? I sold like 3 or 4 pairs on stockx last year then they sent me emails about the $600 or more in sales. Stockx wanted me to update my info for the taxes and threatened to stop payouts if I didn't update my info so I stopped posting. It has been postponed till next year if I read that correctly. Does anyone know if that will include 2023 sales? Or starting in 2024? What about multiple platforms some on stockx, goat. Ebay? I really don't want to do all that filing to add that on my taxes for getting rid of some shoes. It is more convient for me to just post for sale and send it in since I don't got to do meet ups and keep up with someone going back and forth to a potential buyer to sell a pair of shoes. And also get possibly burnt shipping it directly to someone. Any info would be great thanks.

So does anyone know how this going to work? I sold like 3 or 4 pairs on stockx last year then they sent me emails about the $600 or more in sales. Stockx wanted me to update my info for the taxes and threatened to stop payouts if I didn't update my info so I stopped posting. It has been postponed till next year if I read that correctly. Does anyone know if that will include 2023 sales? Or starting in 2024? What about multiple platforms some on stockx, goat. Ebay? I really don't want to do all that filing to add that on my taxes for getting rid of some shoes. It is more convient for me to just post for sale and send it in since I don't got to do meet ups and keep up with someone going back and forth to a potential buyer to sell a pair of shoes. And also get possibly burnt shipping it directly to someone. Any info would be great thanks.

2022 sales - you don't have to do anything unless you hit some obscene 10k mark or something.
2023 sales - $600 total regardless of platform and you have to report that on your taxes.

2022 sales - you don't have to do anything unless you hit some obscene 10k mark or something.
2023 sales - $600 total regardless of platform and you have to report that on your taxes.

The prior threshold was $20k in sales & 200 transactions, then was supposed to go to the new limit of $600 but was postponed till 2023 and who knows if they will implement it this year (after saying the IRS wasn't ready). So you don't legally have to file from sales last year unless you hit the old threshold. 2023, go under the assumption you will need to.

The prior threshold was $20k in sales & 200 transactions, then was supposed to go to the new limit of $600 but was postponed till 2023 and who knows if they will implement it this year (after saying the IRS wasn't ready). So you don't legally have to file from sales last year unless you hit the old threshold. 2023, go under the assumption you will need to.

Yep, agreed. Thanks for clarifying it's 20k rather than 10k. Otherwise our info is the same and I agree.

Just wanted to point out that I have trouble with the sneakers that only match one of my outfits. IE, the shoe that only matches that one hoodie that we never wear but when we do it would go perfectly with that one pair. I try to go for overall wearability now and also I think of how they look w/pants and w/shorts, if they look good with only pants but not shorts, I pass. This method has helped me as well. Not always as I'm not perfect in anyway but in a lot of situations when I'm clamoring to impulse buy.

Yep, agreed. Thanks for clarifying it's 20k rather than 10k. Otherwise our info is the same and I agree.

Glad to help buddy. 👍👍

The new law really screws the normal person who just wants to sell off some shoes for cheap. Shame really. Should have been a sliding scale lie how they did the EV credit.

Just wanted to point out that I have trouble with the sneakers that only match one of my outfits. IE, the shoe that only matches that one hoodie that we never wear but when we do it would go perfectly with that one pair. I try to go for overall wearability now and also I think of how they look w/pants and w/shorts, if they look good with only pants but not shorts, I pass. This method has helped me as well. Not always as I'm not perfect in anyway but in a lot of situations when I'm clamoring to impulse buy.
That's a good start for sure.

I think it was during my unemployment stretch that I started to adopt minimalism for clothing without realizing it. What really helped was eventually picking neutral colors for essentials and being able to build a capsule wardrobe out of it. Black, grey, navy and green have been my go-to colors for hoodies, shirts and pants (only rotating between one black and one navy pair at one point until it was recently replaced with olive green) and any of my shoes can and will go with it. I went away with big logos and graphics to minimal graphics or none at all.

That's a good start for sure.

I think it was during my unemployment stretch that I started to adopt minimalism for clothing without realizing it. What really helped was eventually picking neutral colors for essentials and being able to build a capsule wardrobe out of it. Black, grey, navy and green have been my go-to colors for hoodies, shirts and pants (only rotating between one black and one navy pair at one point until it was recently replaced with olive green) and any of my shoes can and will go with it. I went away with big logos and graphics to minimal graphics or none at all.
honestly that's the move, no logos, I never buy or rock dated clothing, I don't like how it looks or being bogged down by the date it shows or represents

I SOLD 99.3% OF MY SNEAKER COLLECTION BACK IN 2015/16…. I JUST GOT TO A POINT WHERE I KEPT ASKING MYSELF, “WT* IS THE POINT OF HAVING ALL THESE DAMN SHOES?” I HAD SO MUCH DS STUFF IT MADE NO SENSE.

I GRADUATED COLLEGE IN 2011, AND THATS WHERE THE BULK OF MY SNEAKER WEARS TOOK PLACE. SO IT BECAME GOING TO WORK EVERYDAY AND SNEAKER WEARS BECAME LESS AND LESS BUT PURCHASES WERE STILL UP:smh:.

ONE DAY I WOKE UP AND SAID “IM SELLING ALL THIS S***, F IT” SO I SOLD BASICALLY EVERYTHING, WHOLE KOBE, LEBRON, KD COLLECTION, LOTS OF JORDANS AND OTHER MISC STUFF. I KEPT VERY FEW PAIRS.

FAST FORWARD TO PRESENT DAY, I WORK 5DAYS A WEEK, AND MY FOOTWEAR IS BOOTS.

ON MY OFF DAYS IM IN CROCS OR FLIP FLOPS.

I RARELY GO OUT, SO I RARELY WEAR THE KICKS I HAVE BUT I HAVE BEEN GETTING BETTER AT WEARING THEM AND NOT HAVING SO MUCH DS STUFF. I PROBABLY HAVE 40-50 PAIRS TOTAL NOW, AND I OFTEN TIMES SELL STUFF RANDOMLY.

I GOT INTO NEW BALANCES LAST YEAR AND WENT CRAZY AND BOUGHT LIKE 8-9 PAIRS OVER 10ISH WEEKS OR SO🤣🤣. BUT THEN I SOLD 3-4PAIRS IMMEDIATELY. SO I HAVE 6 PAIRS OF NB’S AND ONLY 2 ARE DS.

MOST OF MY JORDANS(7-8 PAIRS) ARE NOT DS.

AS YOU GET OLDER, THINGS OF IMPORTANCE CHANGE. SO RIGHT NOW AT 36YRS OLD, I DONT REALLY CARE A WHOLE LOT ABOUT SNEAKERS. YES I HAVE MORE THAN THE AVERAGE JOE, BUT ITS NOT OUT OF CONTROL LIKE IT USED TO BE.

I SOLD 99.3% OF MY SNEAKER COLLECTION BACK IN 2015/16…. I JUST GOT TO A POINT WHERE I KEPT ASKING MYSELF, “WT* IS THE POINT OF HAVING ALL THESE DAMN SHOES?” I HAD SO MUCH DS STUFF IT MADE NO SENSE.

I GRADUATED COLLEGE IN 2011, AND THATS WHERE THE BULK OF MY SNEAKER WEARS TOOK PLACE. SO IT BECAME GOING TO WORK EVERYDAY AND SNEAKER WEARS BECAME LESS AND LESS BUT PURCHASES WERE STILL UP:smh:.

ONE DAY I WOKE UP AND SAID “IM SELLING ALL THIS S***, F IT” SO I SOLD BASICALLY EVERYTHING, WHOLE KOBE, LEBRON, KD COLLECTION, LOTS OF JORDANS AND OTHER MISC STUFF. I KEPT VERY FEW PAIRS.

FAST FORWARD TO PRESENT DAY, I WORK 5DAYS A WEEK, AND MY FOOTWEAR IS BOOTS.

ON MY OFF DAYS IM IN CROCS OR FLIP FLOPS.

I RARELY GO OUT, SO I RARELY WEAR THE KICKS I HAVE BUT I HAVE BEEN GETTING BETTER AT WEARING THEM AND NOT HAVING SO MUCH DS STUFF. I PROBABLY HAVE 40-50 PAIRS TOTAL NOW, AND I OFTEN TIMES SELL STUFF RANDOMLY.

I GOT INTO NEW BALANCES LAST YEAR AND WENT CRAZY AND BOUGHT LIKE 8-9 PAIRS OVER 10ISH WEEKS OR SO🤣🤣. BUT THEN I SOLD 3-4PAIRS IMMEDIATELY. SO I HAVE 6 PAIRS OF NB’S AND ONLY 2 ARE DS.

MOST OF MY JORDANS(7-8 PAIRS) ARE NOT DS.

AS YOU GET OLDER, THINGS OF IMPORTANCE CHANGE. SO RIGHT NOW AT 36YRS OLD, I DONT REALLY CARE A WHOLE LOT ABOUT SNEAKERS. YES I HAVE MORE THAN THE AVERAGE JOE, BUT ITS NOT OUT OF CONTROL LIKE IT USED TO BE.
Funny because I'm into NB's now, been a Nike Head my whole life, priorities change, but companies try hard to hold onto us.....

Funny because I'm into NB's now, been a Nike Head my whole life, priorities change, but companies try hard to hold onto us.....
I agree with this 100%. Every brand is on that retro tip trying to get us on nostalgia. I put a new rule on myself with sneakers: do not buy any shoe models I have already owned. Don't care if they changed the shape/colorways etc. I'm following it to the extreme, so that helps me a lot in not getting caught up.

This is the Way - Mandalorian but in all seriousness, recraft, retro, remastered, it's all in a way to get that money from us. I love sneakers and it's tough when I see sneakers I've always wanted but couldn't have. But the reality is, I don't have time to wear them, they'd just sit and when push comes to shove, I just wear the same ones because I'm used to it or I don't want to "ruin" the new ones, which again goes back to why get them in the first place for the rare occasion I might possibly wear them or because it goes with just that one outfit? Stay strong fellas

This is starting to become a recent revelation for me, but the inspiration came from the Shannon Sharpe/Chad Johnson interview too. I have my handful of favorites that I need to go on about my day and really started wondering to myself not just "why do I want these?" but more so "what is the significant point of spending the money for it?" If it doesn't help me achieve my life goals, then there's less reason for me to go for it.

N nstreak nice jahb nice jahb - I know what you mean. I guess I recently learned that nostalgia mostly doesn't have much of an effect on me. Example: the LeBron AZGs back a few years ago, the LeBron 9 ASG, LeBron 8 South Beach and LeBron 2 navy. For the AZGs and LBJ 2s, I always wanted them back when I was in high school but never got them. When I got the retros, it felt wasteful instead of feeling rewarding. LeBron 9 ASGs: regretted selling them back in the day, but when I bought them back, it once again felt wasteful. LeBron 8 South Beach: never went for them and never was re-convinced to get the retros even though I had them back then. I think it just has to do with recognizing what I enjoy now in terms of my preference of wearing what shoes work best for me and also perhaps the fact that I've moved on from that time. Not to mention all them ****s are $200 or more.

Last edited:
I went from around 100 pairs to 60. I let go of a lot of doubles and pairs that I just didn't see myself wearing anytime soon. Letting go of these pairs was easier than expected!

My next goal is to get to around 30, but I'm finding picking what to let go of now pretty tough. I still have the whole year though, so I'll take it slow.
Quoting myself for an update. I am now down to around 40, of which I keep a rotation of 30 that I try to wear. Like a lot of people have mentioned, getting older (in my early 30s) changed priorities. I realized that I didn't to keep doubles or buy the "those would be nice to have" pairs because I wouldn't get the chance to wear them. I've even been staying off accounts like Sole Links that post deals and drops and I haven't felt any FOMO. Overall, I'm getting closer to where I want to be with this hobby.

I will say this month will be tough with some of the drops like the Reimagined 3s and GB 97s, so we'll see how disciplined I really am now!

Quoting myself for an update. I am now down to around 40, of which I keep a rotation of 30 that I try to wear. Like a lot of people have mentioned, getting older (in my early 30s) changed priorities. I realized that I didn't to keep doubles or buy the "those would be nice to have" pairs because I wouldn't get the chance to wear them. I've even been staying off accounts like Sole Links that post deals and drops and I haven't felt any FOMO. Overall, I'm getting closer to where I want to be with this hobby.

I will say this month will be tough with some of the drops like the Reimagined 3s and GB 97s, so we'll see how disciplined I really am now!

Way to go bud. 👍👍 Isn't it great not having that FOMO feeling anymore. I don't have it for anything quite frankly. Yeah, I want the IIs, but I'll just buy a pair for resale down the line or a lightly used pair IF I feel like it.

Way to go bud. 👍👍 Isn't it great not having that FOMO feeling anymore. I don't have it for anything quite frankly. Yeah, I want the IIs, but I'll just buy a pair for resale down the line or a lightly used pair IF I feel like it.
Thanks! Yeah, its great feeling ok with not hitting every release. You just live with it and move on. Like you said, if I really want something, I'll get it later down the line.

It also feels good not having my closet filled with shoe boxes anymore! I can finally walk in and see everything again lol

zoomspiridon zoomspiridon - that's awesome, congratulations on the progress! YES, once you feel what it's like to have space to walk around in, it's even more motivating. It's also good to plan ahead too. Like for me, my next "big name" shoe I planned on getting this year and it could be my last until awhile is the Air Max 1 86s. At one point last week, I was actually hesitant about going for them, too; that's the trippy part.

What I've also been doing is changing up the content I feed myself, because at the end of the day, a lot of the things you surround yourself become your environment and when you're in that environment, there will be a pull to have you part of that environment, so significantly limiting it helps.

Another motivational video. Might be worth watching the whole thing, but #5 in particular is clutch: saying no to a lot of things. She brings up a great question to ask ourselves whenever something we may want to have/do pops up: "does this support the life I'm trying to create?" That question is clutch.

Thanks! Yeah, its great feeling ok with not hitting every release. You just live with it and move on. Like you said, if I really want something, I'll get it later down the line.

It also feels good not having my closet filled with shoe boxes anymore! I can finally walk in and see everything again lol
Our greatest asset is time....it seems like if we are able to get over the FOMO window, we'll be in the clear.

Thanks us3less us3less ! I forgot about the AM1 86s. I'll try for them, but I'll be fine if I don't hit.

I also appreciate that video. I'll keep that question in mind going forward whenever buy/do situation comes up.

Last week was a huge day for me. Got rid of like 85% of my entire collection (about 135 pairs) in one shot. I lost money on the deal I know, but I gained so much relief having them gone. Huge weight off my back. Used CL to do it and found someone who was actually interested in taking the entire photo album I had of the shoes for sale. Some real gems in there from an OG old head perspective (Flights, various Reeboks, etc). But now, with so much room in my garage now, it's fantastic. Can finally add some of the car photos on the wall & some wall mounted cases for my small Hot Wheels collection.

Just gotta get rid of the restaurant grade adjustable shelving I bought for them many years ago. Hope that sells easily. These were some NICE shelves I got for them. Can store 4 wide and I had it set to hold 3 high. Kept a few cool pairs that I didn't want to lose (Reebok Pump Battleground OG retro from 2004 was one of them). But the levity from it is very therapeutic.

Last week was a huge day for me. Got rid of like 85% of my entire collection (about 135 pairs) in one shot. I lost money on the deal I know, but I gained so much relief having them gone. Huge weight off my back. Used CL to do it and found someone who was actually interested in taking the entire photo album I had of the shoes for sale. Some real gems in there from an OG old head perspective (Flights, various Reeboks, etc). But now, with so much room in my garage now, it's fantastic. Can finally add some of the car photos on the wall & some wall mounted cases for my small Hot Wheels collection.

Just gotta get rid of the restaurant grade adjustable shelving I bought for them many years ago. Hope that sells easily. These were some NICE shelves I got for them. Can store 4 wide and I had it set to hold 3 high. Kept a few cool pairs that I didn't want to lose (Reebok Pump Battleground OG retro from 2004 was one of them). But the levity from it is very therapeutic.

Can you talk more about the logistics of the sale? I'd love to move mine, and in chunks would be good. I probably only have 35 shoes to get sold (I'm not a true collector, I wear mine to ball in, just a matter of time).

But anyway, the thought of dealing with scammers, somebody trying to rob you etc, isn't fun. Did you use venmo or cashapp or something else? And did you meet up somewhere, or have him come to your house? Did you ask for id or background info or what?

Can you talk more about the logistics of the sale? I'd love to move mine, and in chunks would be good. I probably only have 35 shoes to get sold (I'm not a true collector, I wear mine to ball in, just a matter of time).

But anyway, the thought of dealing with scammers, somebody trying to rob you etc, isn't fun. Did you use venmo or cashapp or something else? And did you meet up somewhere, or have him come to your house? Did you ask for id or background info or what?

ID? BACKGROUND CHECK?? 🤣🤣🤣. HAVE YOU NEVER SOLD SNEAKERS BEFORE?

Back
Top Bottom