Disney's First African American Princess...

Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

She had to be Cerole? Racist. Why couldn't she be from compton?
The movie is centered around JAZZ music. If I'm not mistaking, Louisiana played a much bigger role in JAZZ music history than Compton...

That doesn't justify them making her Creole. Does every movie centered around basketball take place in Massachusetts?

I guess I see your point. But honestly Louisiana ----> Creole isn't that far of a reach...
ohwell.gif

It's not like they've only had white main characters though. Mulan, Aladdin, and some others I can't seem to remember.

historically in accurate. its just a ploy to target the black community. disney dont care about black people.

Wow, Disney took forever to do this! How much you wanna bet its gonna be a white lady speaking for her.

The movie is centered around JAZZ music. If I'm not mistaking, Louisiana played a much bigger role in JAZZ music history than Compton...

That doesn't justify them making her Creole. Does every movie centered around basketball take place in Massachusetts?

I guess I see your point. But honestly Louisiana ----> Creole isn't that far of a reach...
ohwell.gif

It's not a reach at all - actually, it's dead on.

ohwell.gif

Your right. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive about the whole racism thing.

Originally Posted by UrbenYouth

It's not like they've only had white main characters though. Mulan, Aladdin, and some others I can't seem to remember.

Ummm...those are actually the only ones I can think off. And if you want to be specific, Mulan was not a princess...

So technically, the only non-white princess Disney has ever portrayed is Jasmine...at least, that I can recall presently...

I'm going to have to add her to the Disney Princess mural in my daughter's room.
I cannot wait to take her to see this.
pimp.gif

Ummm...those are actually the only ones I can think off. And if you want to be specific, Mulan was not a princess...

So technically, the only non-white princess Disney has ever portrayed is Jasmine...at least, that I can recall presently...

You may be right. I'm not trying to get into anything here. I'm glad that this is the first African American princess but who were the whiteprincesses? Just curious.
Ariel?
I feel like a noob I can't remember any of them.

You may be right. I'm not trying to get into anything here. I'm glad that this is the first African American princess but who were the white princesses? Just curious.
Ariel?
Ifyoucandreamlogo.jpg

Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, and Mulan.
Tiana and Repunzel are getting added

Originally Posted by Uptempo kid

You may be right. I'm not trying to get into anything here. I'm glad that this is the first African American princess but who were the white princesses? Just curious.
Ariel?
Ifyoucandreamlogo.jpg

Thanks. SMH at me. I forgot all of them.

Originally Posted by Uptempo kid

Ariel?
Ifyoucandreamlogo.jpg

Thanks. SMH at me. I forgot all of them.

Ohhh definitely forgot Pocahontas was a Disney princess...so that's essentially 2 legit "ethnic" princess including Jasmine and excludingTiana...

^^ Just for clarification, who is the girl in the pink and who is the girl in the blue? I'm guessing one of them is Cinderella.

^^ Just for clarification, who is the girl in the pink and who is the girl in the blue? I'm guessing one of them is Cinderella.
Cinderella in blue
Sleeping Beauty aka Aurora in Pink

EDIT: Blame Kingdom Hearts for my knowledge in this area

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

the one time Disney makes a movie with African American characters, it has to be about black magic
indifferent.gif
I guess you'd rather have talking lions, mermaids, a boy puppet made of wood, a beast who can talk, genies in a magic lamp, glass slippersand carriages made of pumpkins.

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO! Extra late...

So they rolled with "Tiana." "Maddy" wasn't really cutting it... and her prince is no longer a white male?
nerd.gif
Disney with the save.
pimp.gif

You're right...just read some "controversy"...it seems as though my people can never be appeased...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif
(but the critics have a good point though)...
ohwell.gif

[h2]DISNEY'S FIRST BLACK PRINCESS CAN'T FIND A BLACK PRINCE?[/h2]
princessandprince.jpg

Prince Naveen and Princess Tiana are pictured. Some criticize that Prince Naveen is too "white" looking. These critics wonder why Disney's first Black princess can't find a Black prince.
Via TheDailyMail:While some have hailed Disney's decision as a reflection of melting pot America, others say the company is sending out a mixed message. Although the black princess's love interest in the new animated musical is called Prince Naveen of Maldonia and is voiced by a Brazilian actor, he looks more white than black in photographs from the film that Disney have released.

Since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937, all of Disney's princesses have predominantly been white.
A native Indian princess was featured in Pocahontas and Jasmine in Aladdin had a Middle Eastern appearance. The race row hasn't yet hit the mainstream because the film's release date isn't until late in the year, but Internet chat rooms and blogs have been abuzz with complaints.

One disappointed fan wrote (sic): 'I think it's sad that he is white because its saying that black love isn't good enough and that black men could never be princes. 'Disney had the perfect chance to make its first black prince, but instead it decided to go the controversial route.'

Another complained (sic): 'I am very disappointed and I wished Disney had made the prince black,(and the ironic thing is the prince in the movie is white but the evil voodoo villain is voiced by a black actor and is black).' Since announcing their plans for the first black princess in 2006 the production of Hollywood studio's 49th animated film has been dogged by racial controversy.

Originally called The Frog Princess, its heroine was to be a chambermaid called Maddy working for a spoilt white debutante in 1920s New Orleans.

But the storyline sparked a backlash from critics who claimed it reinforced prejudice and demeaned black people.

The princess's original name was perceived by some to be a stereotypical 'slave name' and she was also a maid working for a wealthy white boss, which was criticised as being racially insensitive.

Even the New Orleans setting for the film was questioned as it had overtones of voodoo and slavery.
Disney has insisted its choice of a black princess was part of a policy to give characters as much diversity as possible.

Back
Top Bottom