do colleges look at improvement????

I am not gonna lie, for my first 2 years of high school i slacked my #@! off. And I don't have any extra curriculars other than 4 yrs of football.
But this past year i have been working like 12 times harder than i have ever done before and i improved my gpa from a 3.2 unweighted (last year) to a 3.8unweighted this year.
So my question is will colleges look at this?? or will they simply look at my overall gpa when i apply to colleges next yr??

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

imporvement????

tired.gif

you should be able to at least get into a state school with those grades. I mean, my grades were a lot worse then that and I got into college
laugh.gif
Then again Idid beast out on the SAT's

Your personal statement should include that---I'm not sure, but I feel like the more upper enchelon colleges most likely won't give you the time ofday....state/public schools will. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Kill on the SATs, and if you're a good football player (getting scouted, ask your coach if schools have shown interest in you) that will also help youTREMENDOUSLY.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Absolutely, they look favorably at upward trends in GPA.

100%. It is very important to college's to show progress. Especially if you were experiencing some hardships during this first years of high school.

I had a poor start to high school as my mom was going through her cancer treatments, we were out of our home & I was making the transition from public toprivate schools. (I outlined this in my personal essay)

My GPA was super struggling my first 2 years of high school. But I managed to improve to significantly and it reflected well my college apps.

Good luck man!

Originally Posted by I Drink Your Milkshake

Your personal statement should include that---I'm not sure, but I feel like the more upper enchelon colleges most likely won't give you the time of day....state/public schools will. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Kill on the SATs, and if you're a good football player (getting scouted, ask your coach if schools have shown interest in you) that will also help you TREMENDOUSLY.
laugh.gif

the best school i could probably play at would be like a cc, but im not tryin to do that.
however, i took the sat's like a week or two ago, and im really crossing my fingers that i did well.

What kind of school are you trying to get into? Your grades are good if you ask me.

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

Originally Posted by I Drink Your Milkshake

Your personal statement should include that---I'm not sure, but I feel like the more upper enchelon colleges most likely won't give you the time of day....state/public schools will. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Kill on the SATs, and if you're a good football player (getting scouted, ask your coach if schools have shown interest in you) that will also help you TREMENDOUSLY.
laugh.gif

the best school i could probably play at would be like a cc, but im not tryin to do that.
however, i took the sat's like a week or two ago, and im really crossing my fingers that i did well.
I see your from Cali---u should be able to get into one of the good UCs (possibly LA, SD or SB)

KILL on that personal statement!!!! and maybe get someone to lie for you and say that you've been involved in some kind of community service
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

if you have a 3.8 GPA what are you worried about exactly? Unless you're applying to the top 1 percent of schools, if you do well on your SAT's youshould be fine.

Originally Posted by Mamaco

What kind of school are you trying to get into? Your grades are good if you ask me.

They're good, but if you're at a public school with no extra activities except football they're not good enough for a top college.

People I went to school with had 4.0's with no extra activities and got turned down by U of M because there are always better students applying ya know?

I didnt think 3.2 to 3.8 was possible in one year

football should make up mostly for no extracurriculars but all you can do with that "progress" is mention it in your statement to show character.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

They're good, but if you're at a public school with no extra activities except football they're not good enough for a top college.

People I went to school with had 4.0's with no extra activities and got turned down by U of M because there are always better students applying ya know?

When I said good I meant, better than mine were.
laugh.gif

I new kids from my graduating class with 4.0's that got denied by all three schools I Drink Your Milkshake listed.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

When I said good I meant, better than mine were.
laugh.gif

I new kids from my graduating class with 4.0's that got denied by all three schools I Drink Your Milkshake listed.
tired.gif

grin.gif

3.2 isn't bad at all...3.8 is good money. They look for what you do sophomore and junior year mostly and SAT scores always help. Just don't blow senioryear off...they can revoke that acceptance.

Back
Top Bottom