Do I get an on or off Campus job?

Aight so Im a sophomore this year and I might be doing research for the business school Im in which will take up a lot of my spare time, but its not paid and spending money you dont have isnt a good look, so I need me a job.

Question is, do I try to get a job on or off campus? Both have their pros and cons

On-campus:
Pros - 10 bucks an hour, near 0 commute time/money spent, most jobs are easy so you can study while you get paid
Cons - spend more time on campus either meeting the same people or no people depending on the job

Off-campus:
Pros - Meet new people (coworkers and maybe customers), get a discount that I might be able to use depending on the spot
Cons - work will prob be actual work, prob wont get paid more than like 8 an hour, spend slightly more time to get to work and more money on gas

Ideally Id just pick up both jobs, but I wont have time. I kinda wanna work off campus to meet people outside of the faces I see around all the time, but that'd prob be the only advantage to the job. I dont really see myself finding a job that would be dope on my resume, Id take that over both in a heartbeat.

If I could find a real job that Id actually be able to apply myself to and make some real money Id do it, but I feel like I wont be taken serious as a student unless its some internship, most likely over the summer.

how is the job that pays the most not the best option?

yeah you could meet people but unless you really hate everyone at your school i don't see that being a big enough pro to take less money

campus jobs are usually really easy and like you said no commute and you can do your work

Do you actually have offers or are you still in the process of applying? I'd go for the on-campus job but in these types of situations it's best to apply for both then cross that bridge when/if you get to it.

on campus, networking these days depend on you. you can meet alot of people if you are a stand up and not a bland guy.

On campus.
There are thousands of students in a university.
You will meet a lot of new people, and most likely people more similar to you.

I know at my school the managers of some the workplaces are upperclassmen, so once they graduate you can can probably take that spot.
Also, if you work on campus, the faculty try their best to get you involved with the career you're headed in.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Do you actually have offers or are you still in the process of applying? I'd go for the on-campus job but in these types of situations it's best to apply for both then cross that bridge when/if you get to it.

No offers yet, I'm on the applying grind and I figured Id apply for both.

Its not that I hate everybody at my school, but I feel like I gotta meet some regular people and whatnot. I live with 2 roommates in a house a few blocks from campus anyway and just think it'd be cool to not have everybody in my local circle all be from school, plus being around for the most part rich, white people all the time is tiring.

With on campus, usually the per hour wage is higher than what you could find elsewhere working retail or a grocery store, restuarant etc. And like you said, it's easy so you can study while on the clock. On campus man.

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

On campus.
There are thousands of students in a university.
You will meet a lot of new people, and most likely people more similar to you.

I know at my school the managers of some the workplaces are upperclassmen, so once they graduate you can can probably take that spot.
Also, if you work on campus, the faculty try their best to get you involved with the career you're headed in.
What kinda on-campus jobs are you referring to though. Most positions I've seen on campus involve swiping someones student ID so they can get into the library or something of that nature. Its not like a real work setting, unless I'm just looking in the wrong direction.

I get that something on-campus can be good for networking and all that but outside of the research I'll prob be doing alongside a professor, I cant see an on-campus position like the one I mentioned being all that beneficial outside of higher pay.

On Campus, they will understand that you cant come into work because of finals/ getting sloshed and have a hangover. they understand

Originally Posted by ill steelo

With on campus, usually the per hour wage is higher than what you could find elsewhere working retail or a grocery store, restuarant etc. And like you said, it's easy so you can study while on the clock. On campus man.

Maybe I had a different experience with campus jobs, but everything at my school paid minimum wage. If the campus job pays $10/hr then take it.

Have you considered picking up a tutoring gig on campus, on my campus its $10 with no tax and you set your own hours. But you either are given students or some one request or you have to find someone (a friend) to request you. Many people inflate their hours

If you get the right on-campus job, you could meet infinite amounts of people, depending on how big your campus is. Get a job at the library or dining hall. At my school, if you worked at the dining hall, you'd get a free meal every shift 
pimp.gif

nah fam. You in tally right? I'd say get an off campus job. On campus is cool and all but there's limitations. I work off campus and it's pretty dope for what it is, I met
tons of people and frankly I just hate being on campus when I'm not in class lol

Campus easily.
Awesome hours (they usually will give you choice & accommodate to your school schedule).
Pretty good pay (for regular student job).
And get to meet different people.

Back
Top Bottom